Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:58:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRaze - A 2D Action Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Raze - A 2D Action Game  (Read 2901 times)
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2018, 03:18:09 PM »

Hi everyone!

I'm from Raze Studio, an indie game developer from Trondheim, Norway.

Two days ago we uploaded a free version of Raze, a 2D brawler game, to our website (http://raze.no/). This is a project we've been working on for about half a year.

Download (stable  Hand Thumbs Up Right): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gSM6b8U5p-iKaSmRt77VyHgc68BDLDr6
WebGL (may be unstable (and without music)  Tongue): http://raze.no/game_build/index.html

About the game
The year is 20XX, and the city of Clearbrook has been overrun by gangs of fearsome thugs! You play as the main character Raze, a punker with red hair, a robotic arm and a really short temper. You're on your way to the city core, but it won't be a stroll in the park. The enemies are fully aware of their surroundings and they will hunt you down, surround you, and do whatever it takes to stop you.

Platforms and requirements:
The game can be played in a web browser or it can be downloaded (best choice, more stable). It runs on windows, linux and mac.

System requrements as suggested by Unity:
Desktop:
- Graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities.
- CPU: SSE2 instruction set support.

WebGL:
- Any recent desktop version of Firefox, Chrome, Edge or Safari.

Known issues / bugs:
The WebGL version seems to be very unstable, but we're unsure why. As far as we know, it runs mostly okay with Chrome, but it may not run at all in other web browsers like firefox and safari. In addition the music may not be there at all, and sound effect may be slightly delayed.

If you shoot while stepping forward the ammo amount may go down by 2 instead of 1. This occurs in both the downloadable versions and the WebGL.

The downloadable versions are much more stable, and we're not aware of any more issues/bugs in these versions.

Feedback
Feedback would be much appreciated! We're mainly on the lookout for feedback regarding gameplay and game mechanics - things like: player movement (attacks, jumping and gun fire e.g.), enemy behavior etc.

Having said that, feedback regarding art, music, sound effects, concept or other aspects are also very welcome!

If you want to give us tell us what you think feel free to fill out the play-test survey (link below) after trying the game. But we're happy to get comments on the post as well!
Play-test survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfMo3raoWhcFZK7uLHujEqT0pfv653Aw3vgJW803tAgVl1laQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Check us out
YouTube / Dev logs: https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterFonkey/featured
E-mail: [email protected]

Thanks in advance!!!
- Raze Studio
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:52:12 AM by MartyX » Logged
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »

Hi!

Today we have released version 0.2.0!

Trailer:

Download here:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gSM6b8U5p-iKaSmRt77VyHgc68BDLDr6, or go to our website http://raze.no/

Feedback is much appreciated! We're looking for Input on gameplay and UI behavior, but we're happy to get feedback on other aspects of the game too!

Feedback can also be given by filling out our Tester Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1w3RYzWHcmmSwIelWbfVMF9-eX-sQicB9QK9ijdvZNyk/edit

If you're interested in what we've done since last update, here is a list of new features:
New weapon system
New weapons, each with 3 attack combos
New AI attacks
New special chain attack
New weapon shop system
New enemy type - Quadrocopter
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:16:14 AM by MartyX » Logged
mreffinsunshine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:57:38 AM »

Hey guys!

I am at work so I had to play the WebGL version of the game. I really liked the premise, and the atmosphere you guys are setting up. Feels like Double Dragon meets Shadowrun/Cyberpunk.

As for some thoughts, the music is not working in the WebGL version, which you already confirmed.

Sound effects for me were on time, not delayed.

For usability, I found myself having to look down at the keyboard to make sure I was pressing the button that I wanted. With everything so close together in terms of attacking, it made it confusing at times and just felt awkward. I'm sure if I were using a controller, it would feel much better but just something to keep in mind for keyboard users.

The jumping feels a bit airy/floaty, so maybe giving the character some more weight might help things. Of course, this also depends on your level design, and how vertical things are.

In any case, it was a fun little gameplay slice. Keep up the good work!

Just gettin' started!
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 05:28:52 AM »

Hi mreffinsunshine!

We're really glad you enjoyed the game! And thank you for your feedback and nice words!

About the WebGL version:
It's very valuable to get inputs on how the WebGL version works. There are quite a bit of bugfixes we have to do on that version. But we'll try to fix it up with the next release!

About the keyboard inputs:
That's great advice! Like you say, it's very important to choose buttons that enables the player to play the game in a good way. In the downloadable version it is possible to change the button inputs in the splash screen when starting the game. But we're going to add this feature in-game, so the player easily can customize inputs matching their way of playing. Then again, it's really important that the default setting is as good as possible as well! Spreading the key inputs a bit might be a good way to accomplish that!

And about the jumping:
Thank you for pointing that out! We're really going to experiment with the jumping, and work out a jump that suits the level design and the pacing of the game in a good way! As of now, I really agree with you, and I don't think the current jumping matches the rest of the gameplay too well. Giving the character more weight is absolutely a good tip!

Thanks again for your feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time to play the game and even giving us inputs!

I hope you will continue following us throughout the development!

- Raze Studio
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »

Hi all!

Raze v. 0.2.1 is out!

We hope you are happy with the changes we have made!
If there are some things that we have forgotten to fix / update or you have any other feedback for us, don't hesitate to let us know!

Here's a list of updates and bug fixes we have made for this version:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10yK1PpPeXNVujhiTCcwyQCv6cICNh3lvnkQlJXAWG08/edit#

Hope you enjoy it!

Thank you!!

- Raze Studio

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:05:35 AM by MartyX » Logged
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »

Hi all!

We're back with Raze v0.3!

Download for free at raze.no!

Behind the scenes
We have been quite silent for a while!! These past 3-4 months we have been working on systems development.
There are few visual feature in the game, but lots of new changes behind the scenes.

Here's a few of them:
- cutscene system
- character properties and skills
- level hazards (e.g. spikes)

If you want to read more about the new features, check out this change log:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10yK1PpPeXNVujhiTCcwyQCv6cICNh3lvnkQlJXAWG08/edit#

We have a new member in the team!
He's a great back-end programmer and has already been an essential member throughout the development of this version.

Facebook page
Check out our Facebook page for updates:
https://www.facebook.com/studioRaze/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Youtube videos
From this point and forward we will be posting videos showing new updates and content regularly (every week / every second week).
Check out our youtube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpr85lsuJRVNGxGyVD9v5hg

Hope to see you there!

- Raze Studio
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 02:48:57 PM by MartyX » Logged
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »

Hi all!

Psychic powers
In the newest update, Raze 0.4, you can now use a psychic force push ability!
It looks like this:

WebGL
The option to play a WebGL-version has be added to our website again.
Try the WebGL-version here: http://raze.no/game_build/index.html
or visit raze.no.

(The WebGL-version's stability might vary depending on which browser you're using. Chrome and Firefox should be safe at least.)

Next release
In the coming weeks we will try to finish most of the game's core systems, thereby ending the system development phase.

New phase
After that we will begin making a lot of content, doing user testing and improving the core game mechanics!
That's when the fun really starts!

Have a nice one!

P.S:
We have replaced FMOD with our own audio system and re-added sounds to the game.
We were a bit quick to throw in the audio again, so some objects may have the wrong sounds.
This will be fixed soon!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:41:57 PM by MartyX » Logged
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 03:24:36 AM »

Hi,

I tried your game out and here is the feedback in no particular order:

- I really liked the brawler kind of setup, it reminded me of the old arcade games I used to play when I was a kid.

- I liked the purple enemies and how dynamic they were (can jump and move about).

- The controls while simple are floaty. They aren't very precise and the character moves sluggishly in my opinion. I would prefer if it moved much faster than this and something more closer to using the RawAxis value instead of the Axis value so it feels less floaty when moving and jumping.

- It took me a while to figure out how to equip items such as the whip. I would have loved if equipment were similar to any other game. I guess this is easier to track code wise though. Perhaps include a mini tutorial or list it in the controls.

- I couldn't take to the NPCs, when I press Enter near them nothing happens.

- I really loved the whip, like very much.

- I had a conflicting feeling about the whip being blocked by the shield robots but still displays an animation that it went through their bodies. I would definitely either allow the whip to hit through shields or change the animation so it isn't confusing or feel disappointing.

- The arrow pointing at enemies seem not to work until one enemy is remaining AND you have to find him first on screen. Then the arrow appears. So if I have 4 enemies, kill 3. The 4th is out of screen I don't get the arrow until I find him. I would suggest you display the arrow on the remaining enemies when they reach a certain threshold (i.e. 1-2 enemies left) and not wait for me to find them first.

- At one point sounds and music just stopped only to come back again not sure if that is because I played on WebGL or that is something universal.

- Midway through the level and a bit before the boss the first track suddenly cut off and the second one played with no transitions. I suggest you add some transition as the shift is jarring. Specially when there was nothing on the screen to call for the sudden change.

- I liked how enemies can throw the grenade at you when the drone dropped it.

- I didn't like that given enemies can throw the grenades at me, I can't do the same at them using the whip or my hand. Would've have made for an interesting risk vs reward mechanic.

- The boss fight was really easy once I figured out I can just jump above it, wait for it to turn then empty my clip on it. I would have loved to see some interesting mechanics here and perhaps have boss phases for example.

All in all, seems like an interesting game, I liked the overall art and feel. The enemies seem interesting from the get go and don't feel bland. I liked the weapon choices so far. Has a few irksome issues but they are generally easily resolved.

Hope that helps.

MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »

Hi,

I tried your game out and here is the feedback in no particular order:

- I really liked the brawler kind of setup, it reminded me of the old arcade games I used to play when I was a kid.

- I liked the purple enemies and how dynamic they were (can jump and move about).

- The controls while simple are floaty. They aren't very precise and the character moves sluggishly in my opinion. I would prefer if it moved much faster than this and something more closer to using the RawAxis value instead of the Axis value so it feels less floaty when moving and jumping.

- It took me a while to figure out how to equip items such as the whip. I would have loved if equipment were similar to any other game. I guess this is easier to track code wise though. Perhaps include a mini tutorial or list it in the controls.

- I couldn't take to the NPCs, when I press Enter near them nothing happens.

- I really loved the whip, like very much.

- I had a conflicting feeling about the whip being blocked by the shield robots but still displays an animation that it went through their bodies. I would definitely either allow the whip to hit through shields or change the animation so it isn't confusing or feel disappointing.

- The arrow pointing at enemies seem not to work until one enemy is remaining AND you have to find him first on screen. Then the arrow appears. So if I have 4 enemies, kill 3. The 4th is out of screen I don't get the arrow until I find him. I would suggest you display the arrow on the remaining enemies when they reach a certain threshold (i.e. 1-2 enemies left) and not wait for me to find them first.

- At one point sounds and music just stopped only to come back again not sure if that is because I played on WebGL or that is something universal.

- Midway through the level and a bit before the boss the first track suddenly cut off and the second one played with no transitions. I suggest you add some transition as the shift is jarring. Specially when there was nothing on the screen to call for the sudden change.

- I liked how enemies can throw the grenade at you when the drone dropped it.

- I didn't like that given enemies can throw the grenades at me, I can't do the same at them using the whip or my hand. Would've have made for an interesting risk vs reward mechanic.

- The boss fight was really easy once I figured out I can just jump above it, wait for it to turn then empty my clip on it. I would have loved to see some interesting mechanics here and perhaps have boss phases for example.

All in all, seems like an interesting game, I liked the overall art and feel. The enemies seem interesting from the get go and don't feel bland. I liked the weapon choices so far. Has a few irksome issues but they are generally easily resolved.

Hope that helps.

Hi, Vallar!

So nice that you like the game!

And thank you for such comprehensive feedback!! This is just what we need!

We'll definitely look into improving the aspects and fixing the issues you've listed.

Cool that you mention boss phases! For the next release, Raze v0.5, we've been talking about adding this to the game.
We'll also look into improving transitions between songs. Great tip!

After Raze v0.5 we'll start focusing a lot more on core game mechanics and how the gameplay feels. Then we'll definitely look at making the controls less floaty and the weapon selection system a lot more intuitive!

As for the WebGL version: The issues with the audio disappearing and the NPCs dialogue not popping up probably have something to do with the WebGL version. We will try to make the WebGL a lot more stabil and bug free in future releases!

It's awesome to hear that you find the game so interesting!

Thanks again! We really appreciate it!

- Raze Studio
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:03:14 PM by MartyX » Logged
nerdi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 08:17:46 AM »

Hey, I am so excited for this game to be released in full Smiley
I had a lot of fun in 0.4, with the first short level & end boss. I can definitely see this being an incredible game with unique items, spells/abilities, and bosses. I think you guys are going to go far with this game. The graphics bring me back to my childhood, but it works for the theme of the game & doesn't sacrifice gameplay in my opinion. I think that the default keybinds could be altered, but that's all easily changed !

Here's my other feedback Smiley
  • Make boss shields temporarily removable through damage
  • Make boss projectiles (missile for example) a little harder to dodge, or faster
  • Boss projectiles should be able to go UP/diagonal - not just horizontal
  • Perhaps bosses should spawn other monsters to deal with to make dodging a little harder
  • Keep items when you save to a checkpoint - I might be mistaken, but I think I lost it after a checkpoint?

I loved the part I was able to play & I made a video showing my YouTube channel what it's all about Smiley I hope it brings in some new players for you!

MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »

Hey, I am so excited for this game to be released in full Smiley
I had a lot of fun in 0.4, with the first short level & end boss. I can definitely see this being an incredible game with unique items, spells/abilities, and bosses. I think you guys are going to go far with this game. The graphics bring me back to my childhood, but it works for the theme of the game & doesn't sacrifice gameplay in my opinion. I think that the default keybinds could be altered, but that's all easily changed !

Here's my other feedback Smiley
  • Make boss shields temporarily removable through damage
  • Make boss projectiles (missile for example) a little harder to dodge, or faster
  • Boss projectiles should be able to go UP/diagonal - not just horizontal
  • Perhaps bosses should spawn other monsters to deal with to make dodging a little harder
  • Keep items when you save to a checkpoint - I might be mistaken, but I think I lost it after a checkpoint?

I loved the part I was able to play & I made a video showing my YouTube channel what it's all about Smiley I hope it brings in some new players for you!

WOW!

Thank you so much for your feedback and nice words! And you even made a youtube video! Shocked That's amazing!

So nice that you like the game and that the gameplay and graphics work for you! Lately we've actually been trying out ways to improve the graphics a bit. So for the next versions things may look a little bit different. We hope it will be to your liking!

As for the boss mechanics, we'll definitely look at ways to improve it. You've mentioned a lot of good pointers! We'll also add boss phases soon.

And just a few days ago we actually added the option to change key-bindings in-game!  Grin Hand Point Right

The inventory should be saved at each checkpoint, so it sounds like there's a bug with the save system. We'll look into that!

Again, thank you so much! Your support means a lot to us! We really appreciate your faith in us and we'll try our best to live up to your expectations!!

- Raze Studio
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:32:50 AM by MartyX » Logged
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 02:08:10 AM »

Hi all!

A few weeks back we participated in a video game competition in Norway, NGA (https://gameawards.no).

The NGA-build has brand new graphics, an entirely different level, new enemies and updated systems, music and audio.

Try it out at raze.no.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gSM6b8U5p-iKaSmRt77VyHgc68BDLDr6?fbclid=IwAR3pTQJttvu2tT_0phn1FCRIrpRemJIldAqhiKHJVSbHJ4n-DdKSWcGLzes

Let us know if you like the old version or the new one better!

Enjoy!
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 05:00:18 AM »

Hi everyone!

Raze 0.6 is now out!

Feel free to download it here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gSM6b8U5p-iKaSmRt77VyHgc68BDLDr6

Here is a video showing the new features:

In short, we've fixed a few bugs, added cutscene, breakable boxes, falling platform and more.

Feel free to follow us on Twitter to get weekly updates on the game:
https://twitter.com/sqeakyBeak

And lastly, listen to Raze OSTs at SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/martin-malmei-aarsland/sets/raze-original-sound-tracks

Each week we release a new song.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 05:27:36 AM by MartyX » Logged
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 11:28:38 AM »

Tested the Game - Here's my Feedback.

Foreword
I am not a english native speaker so if you dont understand something, tell me, i am happy to rephrase.

Graphics:
Dark. And thats my problem. I cant see much when its too dark. Its like "Is there the ledge or do i need to jump farther?". Overall the Style is - Cyberpunk Style? Neat.

Sound(s) / Music:
Sounds annoyed me, the music was... i dont remember the music. So, okay i guess.

Movement/Mechanics:
Eh... Not near a classic brawler and i fell through a couple of ground-tiles. Annoyed me but yeah, its very early gamestage i guess. Test it with extreme measurements. Break your game when you test it. Else the mechanics were okay-ish.

I was reminded of that Dante-Guy-Game, something with Devil or whatever. Jumping, Shooting and hitting Demons. Instead, you shoot and punch random cyberpunk guys.

Actually, i would pretty much play this game with friends. I always liked Double Dragon, TMMNT Back in Time and Games similar to that. Keep on going, finish this game :3 At the end, iam just a random stranger from the webz.

Stay crunchy.
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 01:51:46 AM »

Tested the Game - Here's my Feedback.

Foreword
I am not a english native speaker so if you dont understand something, tell me, i am happy to rephrase.

Graphics:
Dark. And thats my problem. I cant see much when its too dark. Its like "Is there the ledge or do i need to jump farther?". Overall the Style is - Cyberpunk Style? Neat.

Sound(s) / Music:
Sounds annoyed me, the music was... i dont remember the music. So, okay i guess.

Movement/Mechanics:
Eh... Not near a classic brawler and i fell through a couple of ground-tiles. Annoyed me but yeah, its very early gamestage i guess. Test it with extreme measurements. Break your game when you test it. Else the mechanics were okay-ish.

I was reminded of that Dante-Guy-Game, something with Devil or whatever. Jumping, Shooting and hitting Demons. Instead, you shoot and punch random cyberpunk guys.

Actually, i would pretty much play this game with friends. I always liked Double Dragon, TMMNT Back in Time and Games similar to that. Keep on going, finish this game :3 At the end, iam just a random stranger from the webz.

Stay crunchy.

Thank you so much for your feedback! Really appreciate it!

We will definitely take your feedback into consideration.

Graphics:
We're doing another revamp on the graphics for the next version of the game, and we'll keep your comment about the "darkness" in mind!

Sound:
We'll look into how we can make the sounds less annoying. Feel free to elaborate on what's annoying about them! That would be super helpful! (It might be related to the jumping sound... Because the jumping sound is high-pitched, and at this point the enemies jump all around the place! ^^)

Combat/Mechanics:
For this version we'll hopefully also work on improving the combat. And the issue with not being able to jump high enough and getting stuck in / falling through tiles should be fixed now.

Thanks again!

U 2 Stay crunchy!

(By the way, your English is great! ;-) )
MartyX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 08:09:34 PM »

Hi all!

Here's a playthrough of Raze_0.8:

Go to raze.no or download here:
Windows: https://raze.no/build/raze-windows.zip
Linux: https://raze.no/build/raze-linux.zip
Mac: https://raze.no/build/raze-mac.zip

Also, feel free to join our Discord Community: https://discord.gg/TQQV9UT

Version 0.9, where we revamp the game, will come at the start of August!

Thank you!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic