Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:36:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How much do you budget for art?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How much do you budget for art?  (Read 982 times)
TheClintHennesy
Level 0

Artist working on Twinkle Torch!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:00:06 PM »

General Question- and I know that this can have so many answers:

But in general: How much do you BUDGET for art on a monthly basis per project?
It's better if these are shipped games or games that have been done. I just sort of want to get the idea of the medium.

I would assume some people budget 3000 - 5000 USD +/- for a 1 year project (?, correct me if I'm wrong.)

So around 300-450 USD a month if you contact freelancers? What about bigger projects that are 2 years?

Also: If you want to be more specific, art can include Concept Art, UI, Assets, Promo Art, etc.

Feel free to discuss as well. Smiley

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »

It depends on what you're making, but if it's a "full" game with several hours of non-procedural playtime and isn't reusing widely available assets, you will probably need to budget a lot more than $300/mo.

Working on it full time, for example, you will pay a GOOD artist at least $30/hr, 40hr/wk. Of course, there are plenty of games with bad art that will be cheaper, and also games with specific aesthetics that can be cheaper. (E.g. Thomas Was Alone). Having a smaller game is also cheaper.

Angelina12
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 01:24:36 AM »

To judge how much something is worth, start with your target audience. who do you want to sell to? what kind of budget does your client have? is anyone even interested in the type of work you do?
for me, considering minimum wage is like $10 an hour or something, and art requires skill, is a craft, and takes resources to complete, i charge $50/hr for my work. however, most people dont want to pay that much money for art. even for fanart, which is looks like you would be doing, the most people will want to pay for stuff is $20 (unless you're ridiculously good, in which case you might get $50
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic