Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:44:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCaiam Piter and the Mushroom Kingdom - Rogue-like 2D RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Caiam Piter and the Mushroom Kingdom - Rogue-like 2D RPG  (Read 11931 times)
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »

Artifacts and Passive Skills

Caiam Piter will need more than a sturdy shield and a trusty weapon to survive in the kingdom’s forest. Artifacts are small magical friends that will stick with you and float around providing support, all artifacts have a Passive Skill that may be always active or trigger each time a condition is met.

The Passive Skill effect is fixed, so it doesn’t matter where you find one, it will always have the same effect and quality, but sadly you can take only one with you, choose well depending on your mushroom needs!

Currently, we have four artifacts implemented in-game:

• The Witshroom: It has the power to show you two random undiscovered rooms in your minimap, very helpfully when you are lost.

• Begging Fungi Mask: It will give you some food each time you defeat another mushroom, is like begging, very aggressively.

• The Chest of Awe: It will make appear a special chest in the floor when you enter it. The problem is finding it.

• The Tactician's Duck

This one cute duck is the artifact that has sneaked the most in our gifs and promotional material, for one reason or another it is always equipped when we go touring with Caiam Piter for screenshots, so let me tell you what it does by showing you the Item Description window in-game:

As you can see Artifacts can support you in a lot of ways, these are our four current examples but our design document feature about 25 different ones! Going from battle support to exploration support we hope you like all these cute fellows Smiley

Thanks for reading and next time we will take an insight look at Skills and Fungi Skills ~

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:19:11 PM by TebiFestival » Logged

Caiam Piter and the Mushroom Kingdom TIGSource DevBlog || Twitter || Facebook
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 07:43:26 PM »

Really liking the art style, and it seems like you've got an interesting mix of artifacts with the current ones contributing to exploration, economics, and combat.
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 07:25:34 AM »

This takes mushroom kingdom to a whole new level. Stand aside, Mario!

I find it very intriguing (not necessarily in a bad way, either) with your movement choice. But, like someone said before, this opens up a ton of potential to have ingenuity in other gameplay areas. The art style is also unique. I love it! I look forward to more.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:19 AM »

Really liking the art style, and it seems like you've got an interesting mix of artifacts with the current ones contributing to exploration, economics, and combat.

I'm glad you like the artifacts Smiley

We tried to reach different areas with the current artifacts so you can have a broad idea of what they can do, in an overall sense you can group them in exploration, combat, resource management, and discovery. Each one having two types of approaches: proactive and reactive.

Given the current amount of things we have in-game, which are only the basic ones, we already have planned all sort of artifacts! As things get developed we will be showing more about them.

This takes mushroom kingdom to a whole new level. Stand aside, Mario!

I find it very intriguing (not necessarily in a bad way, either) with your movement choice. But, like someone said before, this opens up a ton of potential to have ingenuity in other gameplay areas. The art style is also unique. I love it! I look forward to more.

Thanks for the kind words <3

I think is quite easy to compare the room layout with Binding of Isaac, since is part of the same genre, but our gameplay approach goes in a totally different direction, it's sort of an action point-and-click kind of game so things get more strategical overtime. Combat is indeed a central part of the game, but by far the exploration and room variety is the most important, and the mouse approach opens quite unique opportunities.

In an upcoming post, I think I should start speaking more about the whole room thingy, what we currently have and what is to be implemented.

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »

Active Skills

Combat is not only sword and shield. You also have at your disposal a plethora of skills in the form of cards, these will be found in a chest in the same way as the previous items and you can carry four of them at the same time, even if they are repeated.

Currently, we have four different active skill implemented in the game:

• Renew Gills: This will heal you up instantly upon casting.
  • Fast Impulse: It increases your attack speed for some seconds.
  • Fungi Rage: It increases your damage factor for some seconds.
  • Poisonous Spores: Creates a cloud of poisonous spores in the room, it will slowly damage your enemies.

Each one has different cost and cooldown. As for their effect they are partially procedurally generated since depending on the floor and where you find it, it may have a better quality, which means a better effect, but probably more cost and/or cooldown.

As with all things we have a lot of other skills in our design documents, for now, take a look at some of their icons here, can you guess what they do?

Fungi Skills

These skills are specials. They are given by your mother fungus at the beginning of a run, normally you will have some options to pick from, but once you choose and the run starts you won’t be able to change it or remove it.

A fungi skill has no cost, but can be used only once per combat. These are really strong skills that will make you think twice about when it’s a good idea to use them.

Currently, we only have one implemented:

• Mother Fungi Roots: Stuns all enemies in the room for some seconds.

The other special attribute is that these skills are not found in a chest, they need some… special conditions. Also, they are not procedurally generated, which means they are custom designed to work on specific conditions.

Skills GUI

We won’t go in-deep today about the GUI, saving that for another day, but this is how you'll see the skills displayed and ready to use, just click and go!

Next time I think we will take a look at some of the rooms you will find during your adventure, and how rooms are a very important element of the game.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »

I think is quite easy to compare the room layout with Binding of Isaac, since is part of the same genre, but our gameplay approach goes in a totally different direction, it's sort of an action point-and-click kind of game so things get more strategical overtime. Combat is indeed a central part of the game, but by far the exploration and room variety is the most important, and the mouse approach opens quite unique opportunities.

In an upcoming post, I think I should start speaking more about the whole room thingy, what we currently have and what is to be implemented.

This would be amazing! I'm eager to hear about the room situation more fleshed out. It's neat how you're going for exploration. The grid-like system of rooms (Up down left right, etc.) never fails to open up some fun secrets! Smiley

Keep it up!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »

This would be amazing! I'm eager to hear about the room situation more fleshed out. It's neat how you're going for exploration. The grid-like system of rooms (Up down left right, etc.) never fails to open up some fun secrets! Smiley

Keep it up!

It may be simple, but mixed with the point-and-click it opens up for a lot of fun gameplay scenarios. I think I haven't seen this done in any other roguelike game.

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »

IndieDB

This one is but a small update, we have been preparing for an upcoming event in our location at Chile (still to be confirmed) so mayor feature updates will have to wait a bit.

Recently (like yesterday) we did an IndieDB page of the game, go take a look and leave a comment if you can :D

https://www.indiedb.com/games/caiampitercpmk

This helps us a lot for visibility, so some media outlets or potential publishers get to see the game. At the moment of writing, we are in the Top 50 Embarrassed hopefully we can keep momentum and keep IndieDB well updated as we do over here.

Discord

I also want to announce we have a Discord at https://discord.gg/DzsDSN6  Hand Point Left Hand Point Left

It's just starting out, we will always announce things first in our Discord, and then anywhere else, so if you want to be updated with everything and want to chat with us, join us, its good fun ~

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »

FESTIGAME Chile 2018

Hello everyone! If you have been wondering where the game updates are, they are coming this Friday, but first, we have to tell you about FESTIGAME Chile 2018, a big scale event done in our country Smiley

The event went from August 3 to 5, we had a stand during the whole event and a lot of people played the game Kiss they loved it. Sadly, this demo is not ready for a public Internet release, but we will get there eventually.

I will leave you here with some pictures, but if you want to check more of them go to this post on Facebook.

I hope we can go to some international events in the future Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:50:44 AM by TebiFestival » Logged

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 04:44:22 AM »

Congratulations on heading to a conference! I'm glad that it was well-received. It can often be hard to showcase such a vulnerable, early demo. But, it's also one of those crucial, key elements that help polish the end product.

I hope to see you at a PAX Conference in the U.S. soon!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:24 AM »

Congratulations on heading to a conference! I'm glad that it was well-received. It can often be hard to showcase such a vulnerable, early demo. But, it's also one of those crucial, key elements that help polish the end product.

I hope to see you at a PAX Conference in the U.S. soon!

It was crucial indeed, we never had the game running non-stop for so long and with so many different kinds of players. I can proudly say the game held its position and didn't crash nor soft-lock once. We did spot some bugs, mainly graphical ones, with some sprite order issues in some menus and some particles effect and sprite missing, but nothing more critical than that, they were such minor in fact that I doubt players were aware of this bugs when they happened. They must be fixed though, asap.

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 08:02:26 AM »

Rooms and Props

Room props and their internal layout are procedurally generated when the floor is generated. We have a collection of different walls which accommodate themselves in a way that doesn’t become repetitive. Most of the selection uses a weighted collection, making some props more unlikely to be chosen than others. We also try to have grass in all rooms, but is likely grass will become a biome in the future.

Currently, props are only aesthetics to make things look different, but we plan to add some elements of interaction to them, so they are not rigid background elements.

On the Unity Editor the configuration for the complete layout of the room use this custom script:

We call it “The Mega Sprite” since it ends up creating this one big room sprite with everything on it. You can see in the image above that we handle the four walls as different sections and we also have a prop section. This is both a logical area and a sprite collection, this allows us to avoid placing big props in walking paths and so on.

The Filter at the end helps us add some rules for the placement of elements, in the case of props we have rules that make them look more organic when placed close together.

Room Types

Room Types are by far the most important part of the game, this is where our imagination start running and options wide up. During a floor you will find different types of rooms, each room will have a sort of “condition” that needs to be met to continue forward, and they can alter anything in the floor.

Room “conditions” can go from just reaching the room, which means the doors will open (or never close) as soon as you enter the room, to solving a puzzle or defeating all the enemies, or holding off waves of mushrooms.

On the GUI you will always see this button:

This is a contextual room button, its action and icon will depend on the room you are, so for example, if you are holding a shield and you enter a room where you can make use of it the icon will change to the following:

So, if you click it you’ll block.

On the other hand, there is something that will remain constant as you go through the rooms and that is moving using the arrows ~

Empty Room

The most basic and generic room of all: The Empty Room. Its “condition” is just entering, so it will never block your path, it has no interaction other than the arrows (and maybe props someday?) and you can relax in there, browse your inventory, check the minimap and just chill in general.

Next time we will get into some more elaborated room types, starting with the Chest Room and the Artifact Chest room Smiley

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:58 AM »

when's the premiere? :D

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »

when's the premiere? :D

There is no release date yet Tongue hopefully that is something that will be set soon as we move forward!

I take this chance to say that starting next week the weekly post will be coming back Smiley do to some organization going on at the team and the project, as well as a recent Unity Developer Day event we had to stop the updates here, but they are coming ~

strobosaur
Level 0

High priest of the lysergic church of 0/000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2018, 01:59:08 AM »

You gotta love those graphics  Grin And the layout for the rooms and character development sounds interesting as well. I look forward to seeing where this is going Smiley Good work!

OUTSTATION devlog
STROBOSAUR soundcloud
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »

You gotta love those graphics  Grin And the layout for the rooms and character development sounds interesting as well. I look forward to seeing where this is going Smiley Good work!

We are also very active at Twitter where we post short gifs about different gameplay aspects of the game, although in a very generic due to the short text length. We recently made a give-way of some cool Caiam Piter stickers, with enemies and all!

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2018, 01:02:17 PM »

Unity Developer Day Chile 2018

Hello shrooms! As promised the post are returning, what kept us very busy lately was assisting (and organizing along Unity) the Unity Developer Day Chile 2018. It was an amazing event, a lot of people went, a lot of talks were done and a lot of fungi love too :D

As always you can check all details at our social networks, but I will leave here a couple of photos of the stand and the event.

Other news

We have been very active at Twitter, recently we did a giveaway of some Stickers!! They are being prepared now to travel to the other side of the world Smiley I wonder if such things should be shared around here? Well, you can always follow us on Twitter and be up to date!

For the last month and so we have been working with a Community Manager, who has been very active in our social networks, which now allows us to continue these development blogs and to also update IndieDB and a lot of other stuff *cof* *cof* trailer *cof* *cof*. Next update will be this Friday continuing the room development and details.

So let's finish this post by sharing this cute plushroom of Caiam Piter <3

Don't forget to follow us on our social networks and spread the fungi love!

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2018, 12:19:39 PM »

And we are back with the updates! Let's continue with the Chest Room and the Artifact Chest Room, but first, just to be on the same page, let’s review what defines a room.

All Rooms have a Type that defines how it will behave and what “condition” does it needs to be met before you can continue forward, these conditions can go from just reaching the room to solving a puzzle or defeating all enemies. Also, Rooms can alter anything in the floor, like adding more rooms, changing the type of other rooms or triggering some events, so it is important to identify where you are getting into so you can react to it in the more effective way to survive.

Chest Room

This room will be your favorite for sure, it contains a chest at the middle which will always have one or more items for you to use.

Items are procedurally generated as you would expect, but wouldn't be really bad if you get very deep in the dungeon just to find a low-quality item? To avoid this problem there is a quality factor that runs through the whole floor, this means that the farthest you are from the start the better this factor is, which also means exploring is always good! The deeper you get the better your reward, just don't let it get into your head, challenges will be greater too.

The room “condition” of the Chest Room is just entering, so it will never block your path and if you don’t want to open the chest it will remain closed till you decided to do it, but if you open it you have only that one time to decide what to do with the items inside it, once closed it will never open again, so think well about what you will equip Smiley

Chest room will be on every floor, these are one of the main rooms that will make you be powerful enough to defeat all your enemies so keep looking for them.

Artifact Chest Room

This room works in the same way as a Chest Room, but with two special characteristics.

First, it will only appear if you have equipped the Chest of Awe Artifact when entering a new floor, adding a room in a random location.

Second, regardless of where it appears in regards to the distance from the start, it will always contain items with the higher quality possible for that floor, which means good items are guaranteed :D!

As an added note, chests will have a different animation when you find one with the best quality for the floor, so you know you got the best goodies ~

Thanks for reading so far, let me know what you think about these rooms and next week we will take a deeper look into how items are shown when a chest is open so all things are clear with how this work.

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »

This is looking awesome, can't believe it's the first time I've spotted it on here. The programmer nod in the duck description is great. Can't wait to see more and eventually have a go at it Hand Joystick

smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »

Great character designs! Animations are definitely expressive.

Makin' games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic