Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:18:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCaiam Piter and the Mushroom Kingdom - Rogue-like 2D RPG
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Caiam Piter and the Mushroom Kingdom - Rogue-like 2D RPG  (Read 12072 times)
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »

This is looking awesome, can't believe it's the first time I've spotted it on here. The programmer nod in the duck description is great. Can't wait to see more and eventually have a go at it Hand Joystick

Glad you like it and you noticed the duck description, there is nothing like a good duck to talk about your designs.

Great character designs! Animations are definitely expressive.

Thanks <3 animations is where a lot of work has gone into, we want these cute little mushroom to be as expressive as possible Smiley

Caiam Piter and the Mushroom Kingdom TIGSource DevBlog || Twitter || Facebook
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 07:37:59 AM »

Reveal Trailer

I know you were expecting a post about how items are shown when a chest is open, since that is what I promised in the last post, but the trailer we were working on was just finalized and won't you tell me it's amazing?

We were the last few weeks working really hard on this and we really love the final result so please share it with your friends and family, there is fungi love for everyone Smiley

The promised post will come next Friday ~

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »

Congratulations on the trailer reveal! It’s great that you explain in detail what the gameplay will be like.

Also, nice work with the Artifact room and system. It sounds very engaging!!!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »

Congratulations on the trailer reveal! It’s great that you explain in detail what the gameplay will be like.

Also, nice work with the Artifact room and system. It sounds very engaging!!!

Glad you like it Smiley

A lot of work went into the trailer, it was a lot of fun to make!

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »

The Inventory

The inventory in Caiam Piter and the Mushroom Kingdom is the place where you’ll find all the items you have equipped at the moment. To open it all you have to do is to click on the bag icon on the UI.

On this example all the slots are being used by one kind of item, so let's go from left to right and see what they are.

At the left, you can see your current Stats. The values represent the total value of each one, that is, bonuses and current character stats added together.

Bellow is the current Fungi Skill equipped.

In the center section, you see your current equipment, with the upper part holding your shield, weapon, and artifact and in the lower part all of your skill cards. The order of the skill cards is the same as in the game UI.

This part is the most dynamic of the whole inventory. As it is now, with nothing selected, it shows your total Attributes, with all bonuses added, but depending on what you have selected and if you are trying to swap items or not, it can show the difference in Attributes that such an action would make.

In this example, you can see that moving your skill from one place to another is possible, and when doing so the right part shows you what you are swapping around, although in this case you are not losing anything as you are just moving things in your equipment.

When opening a chest its items will always be at the top in a new section.

If you select a skill in the chest section the following auto-selection will happen:

• It checks for all skill you currently have and see if you have a similar one to the one selected in the chest item slots.
  • If there exist one or more similar skills it will auto-select the weakest of all, as it is very likely that is the one you will want to swap.
  • If there is no similar skill then it will select an empty slot.

In the example, you can see how the new found skill does more damage, but its Food cost increases. This is also a good example to point out that the right section is showing attributes related to the skill and not to the character.

On this other example, you can see that equipping the spear increases a lot of Attributes since you don’t have any weapon equipped currently.

For shields, weapons, and artifacts the auto-selection is always the corresponding inventory slot.

Item Summary

You can see the item summary of any item in the Inventory, regardless of it being equipped or in the chest section.

An Item Summary is a new window that shows information regarding the inspected item, for example:

In this weapon template, you can see that it has a name, weapon type, bonus stats, attributes, and a lore description. Most items are like that, but let's look at other examples.

Skills have their own type of attributes and an extra text block which explains what the skill does.

Artifacts are all about their passive skills so you only see text, one for what they do and another for their lore.

All this make the Inventory a very versatile menu where you can check pretty much everything you currently have.

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »

Enemy Room

The enemy Room, sometimes also called Combat Room, is one of the more important and complex rooms of all. You will find these in every floor of the game, and as the previous names suggest, this is where the combat happens so a lot of system clash in this room, but for this update post we’ll focus on the room itself and when all the other things are flesh out in the future we can get into the combat details.

In a floor there will be a bunch of these rooms all over the place, however, they are not identical to each other. As we have discussed in previous Room post, distance to the starting room is important, and for Enemy Rooms, it determines how strong enemies are, the further away from the start the stronger they are, in fact, they can be as strong as the one from the next floor!

Having this design in place, along with the better chest rewards of Chest Room, makes you think in “I can go further away on the floor for better rewards, but got to be careful for those strong enemies, do I have the health and equipment for that?” which can present you with interesting situations if you dare to go for it. In the other Hand if you decide to don’t go, and proceed to the next floor, the enemies closer to the starting room are the weakest, they can be as weak as the ones from the previous floor, so is not like you will be destroyed on new floors from the beginning.

Pro-tip: It is better to just explore a whole floor everytime you can, better gear is a stronger Mushroom!
Now, what if you defeated all enemies in a room, and you enter that room again? Enemies will appear again! So be careful, mushroom release spores when they die, so it’s easy for them to be ready to fight you again, take this into account when you explore areas with few paths, you may be obligated to go through an Enemy Room twice.

If you are an RPG gamer I know what you just thought; farming Enemy Rooms for lots of experience. On all the playtesting sessions we have made we have been shocked on how just a very few players have actually done this, it is a valid thing to plan, but sadly is not that good of an option. Experience is heavily reduced from enemies that you have already defeated, this happens each time to the point of giving no exp at all, so you may try it for some extra experience, but don’t count on it for farming, you won’t need it anyway Smiley

The Enemies

You will quickly realize that as you get deeper into the forest more and more mushroom rise to stop you, making it harder to survive. Each floor has a fixed number of enemies per room, which increase in an organic way. The exact amount is being tested and balanced, but currently, we have from 1 to 12 mushrooms. The inner mechanics of this number are not as direct as they sound, but these explanations are more related to combat than to the room itself.

There are also a lot of different mushrooms you can encounter, however, they are not available on each floor. You can only find some types of mushroom in some types of floors and under other very cool circumstances, this means that if you replay a floor the encounters can vary quite a lot depending on the mushroom. This is more clear on deeper floors since there is where you can find a wider variety.

The Enemy Room is one of the room we have work the most, is really important to have a fun and engaging combat mechanic that feels fair and under your control, we don’t want you to die unfairly. In fact, in honor of this, Enemy Rooms will never appear too close to the starting room, chests are likely to be close so you are equipped for combat. There is a chance you can move through rooms avoiding chests and going into a battle unprepared, but chances are very low, and those enemies are going to be weak, so you should get out of it winning.

I hope you like this take on the Enemy Room and how things are handled, any feedback is welcome so let us know! This has to be a very fun part of the game Smiley

afilionComposer
Level 0

Music Composer for Games and Media.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2018, 05:23:18 PM »

Loving all these detailed updates! Now I know exactly what to expect and how to plan a strategy when the game comes out  Smiley
Also I'm loving how much more fair and generous this game will be when compared to other games of this genre Wink

Music Composer for Games and Media.
http://Afilion.ca
TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2018, 01:27:38 PM »

Loving all these detailed updates! Now I know exactly what to expect and how to plan a strategy when the game comes out  Smiley
Also I'm loving how much more fair and generous this game will be when compared to other games of this genre Wink

Thanks! Glad you like the updates Smiley sometimes is hard to explain all the details of a feature, so its good these are getting through.

About the fairness, we want you to have control over most things, procedural generation can easily feel unfair when you died because of "bad luck", we are considering that as bad design and working features from there.

TebiFestival
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2018, 11:32:01 AM »

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I posted here and I want to say that this is not over yet :D I have the following news:

We've been nominated at the TOP 100 Indie of the Year in IndieDB and we need your support to make it even higher, all you have to do is click on the image and go to Upcoming Games > Roguelike and click the big red button that says VOTE.

It will look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/FFqyXvm.png[/img]

Here is the link in case the image doesn't work: https://www.indiedb.com/groups/2018-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100#vote67706

Thanks to everyone for reading this and voting, we'll be back with updates about the game and what we are planning in the future soon!

Don't forget to share the fungi love around ~

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic