Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:42:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignUnder-used weapons in a 2D Zelda-esc
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Under-used weapons in a 2D Zelda-esc  (Read 1756 times)
stix
Level 0

Night of the Blood Moon Dev

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:30:56 AM »

Hey all

Does anyone have a weapon they'd love to see in a Zelda-like? Gravity bombs... Heck maybe a double hook-shot that lets your hang over ledges, and fire a bow or something). That could have some cool problem solving if you have to get the right angle and use pillars or something.

All of this has potential to help me bring unique ideas into my game which pulls combat inspiration from games like Zelda and Nuclear Throne. Just to be clear lol Smiley

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 06:37:59 AM »

Well, i can think of all the overused weapons. Swords, bombs, bow and arrows, boomerangs, shields, lanterns, running boots, bottles, gloves... Those have been used in most of zelda games and on other titles inspired by zelda, like Oceanhorn.

Whatever you can think of that is not on that list has potential i think. But what stands out for me are the unusual creative items, like the gust jar in Minish Cap. But those require a lot more mental effort than coming up with regular expected items with a few aditional perks, like the double hookshot in twilight princess

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 09:50:00 AM »

Look away from fantasy-inspired weaponry or... Look away from actual weaponry at all. Make stuff that isn't a weapon into a weapon in your game. Look at Splatoon weaponry, for example. The weapons in the game are usually made with everyday stuff you might use at home or even just random stuff, really. Like the Splash-o-Matic weapon that is made of a tattoo pen thingy.

I am working on a game that be partially described as a 2D Zelda-like and there is really nothing like swords, shields, boomerangs, bombs, etc. Not in the traditional sense of those weapons, anyways.

Just think outside of the box! Maybe you might have to change the theme of your game slightly to have more interesting weapons (or maybe you won't!), but that could be for the best.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 06:35:56 AM »

Oracle games' items like the slingshot/seeds, or the Magnetic Gloves were pretty badass, actually.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 03:09:33 AM »

A portal-gun in a Zelda game?

Games:

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 05:06:10 AM »

Spells in general. A lot of inspiration can be found in various MOBAs or tabletop games. Often times it's not even about unique weapons, as much as unique flavors, like books shooting pages or whatever

stix
Level 0

Night of the Blood Moon Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 12:48:17 AM »

Spells in general. A lot of inspiration can be found in various MOBAs or tabletop games. Often times it's not even about unique weapons, as much as unique flavors, like books shooting pages or whatever
spellbook is a solid idea!
Look away from fantasy-inspired weaponry or... Look away from actual weaponry at all. Make stuff that isn't a weapon into a weapon in your game. Look at Splatoon weaponry, for example. The weapons in the game are usually made with everyday stuff you might use at home or even just random stuff, really. Like the Splash-o-Matic weapon that is made of a tattoo pen thingy.

I am working on a game that be partially described as a 2D Zelda-like and there is really nothing like swords, shields, boomerangs, bombs, etc. Not in the traditional sense of those weapons, anyways.

Just think outside of the box! Maybe you might have to change the theme of your game slightly to have more interesting weapons (or maybe you won't!), but that could be for the best.
Honestly easier said than done imo, but kudos to those who can do it. Seeing games where people take ordinary things and make them into weapons is always neat. I can imagine a screwdriver turning a turret or something to line up and solve puzzles, but when it comes to combat I can only imagine it being used to wack things. I don't know about you, but I think it's harder than it sounds. Looking forward to seeing your game then Smiley

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »

Mirrors. To use in combat to create reflections or blind enemies with sunlight, light firesor give it to a girl so she can smash it in your face, accusing you of being a sexist pig.

Rubber bands. To snap it agains the ass of enemies, throw toothpicks to the eye of a cyclops, getting them stuck in your wrist/hand hairs.

Paper sheets, to kill someone while torturing him by Lingchi

Bath towel. Just watch a karate movie. They use them to disarm opponents.

Poison. Drop a few sips in an edible component and prepare for assassination

Chainsaw. Cut a tree and let it fall over an opponent

Gluten ridden food!

BBC!

The possibilities are endless.

Yeah.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 12:07:34 AM »

The mirrors are a nice idea, usually they are used only during puzzles.

Games:

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »

Pegasus Boots, got more uses than running fast.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
DRPZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »

I really liked the gestures they made towards sci-fi with a lot of the items in Breath of the Wild. I would not have expected to like it, and I don't think many people outside of Nintendo could pull it off, but the style they managed to come up with was so strong.

Because (until recently) the games have had such similar structures, I find it hard to work out what makes one better than any other, but I think the weapon-set might be the most important factor. For me, the best Zelda weapons are ones which are just as useful in puzzle-solving as they are combat, and vice-versa. Everything in Link's move-set has to tie the two parts of the game together, not completely ignore one in favour of the other.

Sorry I don't have any specific examples!
Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 02:51:58 AM »

Staffs/Wands would be good if they had interesting spells.
Also maybe an Axe that could not just cut tall gras, but also smaller trees (to make bridges and stuff)?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic