Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:49:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign[Game Idea] Is this enough original to define it own genre?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Game Idea] Is this enough original to define it own genre?  (Read 1622 times)
alexwbc
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:27:12 AM »

This is the design (pdf): Rise at Zero

The core idea is basic simple: take the Battle Royale genre... invert it. On a large map you don't have just survive by crafting during an apocalypse (planet wide collapse, but the arena develop in a restricted area), you have to make sure NO one else die.

Each time a fellow player dies, difficulty scale up as the apocalypse grew stronger and games turn into a "no return point" where victory is not possible anymore.

I leave the document for the details.

If this genre (only one spawn, battle royale scale arena, (simple) crafting of build and structure, do not allow other players to die) can be suited in other categories (definitely its not Battle Royale: there are no guns, but only tools to survive/stealth/heal/protect and various skills).

I know (original) Fortnite was intended to something like "protect people"; but that was more like a tower defence with waves and stuff.

Also, in this concept there aren't "people": all players are android, and they are the only humanoid thing still on ground.
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 01:35:29 PM »

I don't think you can set out to define a new genre. What defines a new genre is the repercussion your design has to be remixed and re utilized. Battle Royale became a subgenre because people adopted it, but fundamentally they're all FPSs or TPSs. In the same vein souls-likes are all Action RPGs.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:30:02 AM »

Tbh this looks like a pretty well thought out design, to me.

It means a lot that you've considered how both expert and new players will interact with the system in 'Step 1', especially considering how much importance this design places on protecting every single last player.

It's still not a complete design. Having an incomplete design works OK for small projects but as you scale up to sizes where you need to work in teams it's very important to lay out how you're going to work on the game. What will the first prototypes look like? What decisions will those prototypes help you make? (e.g. you don't describe the kind of stuff players can build very well, or what expert strategies might look like.)

Short answer to your question Yes, but it won't.

Long answer: I .... uhh ..... I completely agree with Tito. Being different from existing genres (or subgenres or whatever) is the bare minimum for spawning a new genre.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 12:21:14 AM »

To completely define a new genre depends on how much a game innovates, meaning how the game is relevant to the videogame genre and not, that all the games that will come out next will take elements of that game. Rogue brought innovation that next games that has the same mechanics took the name Roguelike, such as Metroidvania and Soulslike.

Games:

alexwbc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 12:03:46 PM »

Well, then I'll have just hope that no one does this kind of game before me, otherwise I would be the one to clone it afterwards

Thanks for all the input; I am getting attached to this idea and made some additions from the last time. I guess I have to make a proper thread from now on: at least, it would be useful as learning device to develop furthermore.
LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »

I would focus on trying to make a good, fun game above all things. Aiming at defining a new genre is really ambitious. That said, good luck in your goal. Maybe you will succeed.
Unknown33
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »

Seems like it would be prone to the snowball effect, where with each dying player, players struggle more and more until they lose all control and the whole thing runs away.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic