Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:36:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign3ds max pro optimizer tool
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 3ds max pro optimizer tool  (Read 1885 times)
davejones
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2018, 02:09:50 AM »

When I use the proptimizer tool in 3ds max and than export the file as a .fbx file, the file size seems to be bigger than the .fbx file that hasn't used the pro optimiser tool. This has confused me as I thought reducing the polygons would decrease the file size.

Would anyone know why using the pro optimiser tool has increased the .fbx file size?
davejones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 04:56:38 AM »

I believe the problem comes down to having the mesh as an editable poly and than adding the modifier tool. So I have several meshes in a 3ds max scene. The meshes need to be combined into one. I do this by turning the meshes into editable polygons. After I turn each mesh into and editable polygon I'll add a modifier to each mesh.

This modifier tool would be ProOptimizer or multi res. I'll than reduce the polygon count of each mesh. Once I have done that I use the attach option from the editable poly to combine the meshes into one. The issue is that once I click on edit poly after adding the modifier tool (prooptimzer or multi res) a message appears stating "Modifier depends on topology" and when I wish to continue by pressing yes the polygon count goes back up thus, the file size hasn't been reduced.

1. 3ds max scene with multiple meshes
2. change each mesh to an editable poly
3. Add modifier tool to each mesh
4. Modifier tool would be ProOptimizer or multi res
5. reduce poly count of each mesh by using modifier tool stated in step 4.
6. Use attach feature from edit poly to combine all meshes into one
7. Upon selecting "edit poly" message appears on screen stating "modifier depends on topology"
8. When yes is selected polygon count goes back up and as a result the file size has't been reduced.

I am now looking into how to first reduce the poly count of each mesh and than combining them into one without the problem of the poly count going back up. Any support would much appreciated.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic