Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 02:59:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCritique my project pitch please!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Critique my project pitch please!  (Read 6533 times)
invadererik
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »

Hi, I've started a new project on crowdsourcer.io and been trying to get a concept artist recruited, the first one came through a friend but had to quit fairly fast, I'm looking for someone else but no luck yet. So far the people I've talked to have given me mostly positive feedback on the pitch, but maybe I need a different perspective. Can people look at my project page and provide some feedback? Any sort of feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Link: https://crowdsourcer.io/project/89

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »

It sounds like a total pipe dream to me. If I understand your pitch correctly, not only would it rely on a decent parser for the input, conversation AI, and sentence generator, but also decent speech-to-text AND text-to-speech? Do you have software that you plan on licensing for all these things, or were you thinking you would write it all yourself? The story writing and art would be maybe 5% of the work.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you're more interested in making a story than in toiling for years on the technical aspects. I suggest you cut the ideas about voice control and response and focus on making a solid piece of interactive fiction. There's more value for everyone in creating something good, rather than chasing after technical gimmicks.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:52:05 PM by -Ross » Logged

invadererik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 01:08:18 PM »

Hi Ross,

I have made a small prototype using Google Dialog Flow already, seemed to work well enough, another person in the project has created an Amazon Alexa game. So yes we are not planning to do everything from scratch.

At the end of the day we are making a prototype, so we shall see if it works, otherwise it could work well enough as a normal point and click adventure game. Either way I hope to tell a good story, that is why I am taking the time to focus on it now.

So overall, you feel it would be a stronger pitch if I showed a working super early prototype of the tech?

Thanks for the feedback ! Keep it coming.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 01:01:01 AM »

I can't say much on how realistic this is, but it's a cool idea so it would be fun to see it work.

Google definitely has the best voice recognition technology out there, including good understanding of dialects compared to Alexa and Siri, so if I were to pick one of the three, I'd definitely go with Google.

Still, I imagine you're going to have to structure it much like an actual voice assistant with all its limitations. You're probably not going to be able to pull off conversations more advanced than what the companies working on these technologies are already doing themselves. Tongue You might have to structure the story around this, perhaps making the main character a robot or something to make the non-human responses feel less jarring.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic