Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1371826 Posts in 64671 Topics- by 56797 Members - Latest Member: maxrunningshoes

January 21, 2020, 03:19:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGetting ready to launch a marketing campaign, but in need of advice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Getting ready to launch a marketing campaign, but in need of advice  (Read 503 times)
stix
Level 0

Night of the Blood Moon Dev

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »

Hey everyone

Next week I'd like to really start pushing the marketing on my game but I have 0 idea where to start. The website is functional: https://nightofthebloodmoon.com/ and the kickstarter is set up. I'm in the process of making an Instagram and youtube account, but I have 0 how to approach getting it public beyond my immediate friend groups. Any advice would be amazing!

Thanks

This weekend I plan to finish the trailer (as I know that will be huge).

stix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2003596885/159836564?ref=axfgcf&token=e1c7899d

If anybody has any input I would really love it Smiley
Thanks all!!

Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:38:26 PM »

seems nice and thorough. Few screenshots of gameplay might not hurt. I'll be honest though the top elevator pitch doesn't really sell it to me.

"emphasis on unique tools"... so?

I think I'd sell the battling cute turned evil dream creatures angle more. That's a cool concept that people are more likely to buy into.

Good luck with the campaign though! Hope you succeed it's tough on kickstarter indie devs these days
stix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »

seems nice and thorough. Few screenshots of gameplay might not hurt. I'll be honest though the top elevator pitch doesn't really sell it to me.

"emphasis on unique tools"... so?

I think I'd sell the battling cute turned evil dream creatures angle more. That's a cool concept that people are more likely to buy into.

Good luck with the campaign though! Hope you succeed it's tough on kickstarter indie devs these days
Dude that is the perfect critique. Thank you! I'll definitely work this weekend to "up-sell the be the monster" over the other. Oddly enough, the reason I made the game is because I felt other lacked weapon variety, but when it comes to selling I like your thoughts a ton more.

Again, Thanks!

stix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »

Tusky, any thoughts on this blurb:

"A difficult Rogue-like where you play as a weaponized nightmare beating up the cute creatures of our dreams! Use unique weapons to demolish the loving manifestations around you as you grow with power. Conquer many imaginative lands, and defeat bosses who will challenge your strategy along side your skill."

Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »

Yeah I like it! Sounds like a ton of fun  Beer!
parzi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »

The game looks really cute and interesting, love the premise.

As for the kickstarter, I would wait to grow a following on social media before launching it. There are a bunch of projects on kickstarter everyday and if you don't have people talking about it, it will problably go unnotice in a few days. (Talking about my own experiences making a kickstarter that didn't go as planned heh)

For social media, definetely use hashtags related to your game (#indiedev #pixelart....) and engange with other users using the same tags. I've noticed that commenting on other indie devs posts helps a lot! Not only for gaining audience but to encourage each other Smiley Contact, if you can with youtubers who might like and play your game and so on...

This is all talking about my own experience, but hope it helps!
droqen
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »

So to be super super clear upfront, I'm not saying don't do what Tusky said, but Tusky is one person and you can't just change the focus of your message because one person said they'd prefer Chocolate over Strawberry.  Whatever you choose will be in favour of some ppl's tastes over others.

To me, "emphasis on unique tools" is more intriguing than what you have, although I would like more detail.. anyone can promise unique tools and fall short. :p
But it's also very 'mechanics'-heavy without directly describing the fun, the intent behind the design, what it'll be like to play the game. What am I using the tools for, why do I care that they're unique? Appeal to my desires!
  • Am I choosing unique tools to strategize, to solve particular situations? Will I feel clever for picking the right one? OR
  • Am I getting random tools every time, and am forced to adapt while getting wildly different experiences? Will I feel challenged to learn every weapon? OR,
  • Am I given the pick of the litter and they're all great and I'm encouraged to find my own playstyle? Will I feel satisfied getting to choose 'my' favourite tools?

I think that the idea of being the nightmare and beating up the cute creatures is a good idea, but would recommend supporting the aesthetic better in your marketing message if that's the idea you want to put in your player's head.

"Night of the Blood Moon is difficult Rogue-like where you play as a weaponized nightmare beating up the cute creatures of our dreams!" -- I dislike this because being "a nightmare beating up the cute creatueres of our dreams" is not a gameplay promise, it's not evocative of anything I'll be doing, and you haven't supported it. If you want to sell me on the feeling of being a nightmare -- how am I a nightmare? What am I doing that will make me feel nightmarish?? Give me one reason to believe my avatar is a nightmare. Tell me I'm destroying my dream-host's happiness, or that my weapons are based on the dreamer's fears, or that I'm collecting sadness.

What I get from your blurb is fairly generic: "My game fits into this GENRE, with this THEME! {3-4 features common to every game in this genre}."

IMO a game needs more than just a fresh coat of paint to be worth looking at, and your blurb doesn't promise me anything new.

But as I said, you need to pick and choose who you're writing for ;p I'm an extremely picky game developer who doesn't really represent any sizeable group of players.. I don't buy many games, I just get sad about how many games I don't want. T_T
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:07:06 AM by droqen » Logged

droqen.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic