Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:21:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMaking a game has been a humbling experience
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making a game has been a humbling experience  (Read 1024 times)
stix
Level 0

Night of the Blood Moon Dev

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2018, 12:20:12 AM »

Is it safe to guess we are all in this boat together? We're all working our asses off towards something which may, or may not succeed. Even if it is a hobby there must be an essence of doubt in every prototype. I know I've been having the highest highs and lowest lows (emotionally) this past year as I solo dev my game. Thank god for my girlfriend, and her cats. At the end of the day following our dreams feels damn good.

Today I finished the game, Celeste (not B-Sides), and the cheesy ending brought a tear to my eye because it was about acceptance. Accepting our faults and going forward. Game Dev leaves me alone with my thoughts way more than I am ready for at times. There are moments where I look back on myself and get sad, but then by the end of the night I am past that and feeling pride for the things I've accomplished.
To my fault I don't go to sleep unless I feel accomplished. Does anyone else do this?

Making a game has shown me the essence of humility in those who have accomplished great things. Everything requires sacrifice in some way, and the greatest greats have sacrificed the most. I'm probably sacrificing my back too much, Lol.

What about you guys? Have you felt that knock in humility? Have you become more peaceful with your inner self? I haven't been on TIG long, but damn if this community doesn't seem humble and caring. It is as if we're all in the same boat. Overburdened by our dreams, and the time it takes to accomplish them.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 12:59:16 AM »

haha lol this "community" was dead ironyzone forever and industry is just shitty people scamming kids for money snd being proud
dont let bay area NY toronto fuckers drag you, videogames are going DOWN
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 01:02:08 AM »

You don't have to suffer to grow, but it speeds things up. Good luck to you. Sorry to be a downer but I anticipate your next period of growth in the next few years will be the grim realisation that sacrifice and effort has little bearing on success and you find yourself at the whims of a cold, uncaring universe determined by seemingly nothing.
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 01:18:37 AM »

Is it safe to guess we are all in this boat together?

A lot of the game making folks are.

To my fault I don't go to sleep unless I feel accomplished. Does anyone else do this?

I'd like to, but sometimes the task becomes too large to complete in a day so don't get a choice.

Have you felt that knock in humility? Have you become more peaceful with your inner self?

I think so. Going on from what overdramatic Joe said: I've learned to operate under the assumption that I am going work hard for several years, and create something which will be broadly ignored. But I did it for the love. Also guess each time I probably learn something. Or that's what I tell myself to feel better...
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 01:33:44 AM »

This community is overflowing with newcomers trying to market their next game and not really caring about the "community", and long-time users usually ignoring them or being ironic and snarky. (which is just as well, mind you).

I solo gamedev because I like being alone with my thoughts and enjoy creating. It's freeing and it recharges my batteries.
Growth though usually comes from other areas of my life, mostly interpersonal relationships. Enjoying other's art and creating my own are usually just introspective catalysts for those experiences. Or at times, tools to wind down and escape.

Focus on "accomplishing great things" sounds like a prideful perspective to me, at odds with the "humility" you're mentioning. And what are "great things" anyway? Is it personal growth? Material gain? Fame? Change?

stix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 01:53:37 AM »

You don't have to suffer to grow, but it speeds things up. Good luck to you. Sorry to be a downer but I anticipate your next period of growth in the next few years will be the grim realisation that sacrifice and effort has little bearing on success and you find yourself at the whims of a cold, uncaring universe determined by seemingly nothing.
Lol, probably though. Life is a challenge that doesn't quit. But I can't deny the moments of loss have shaped me more than moments gained.

I think so. Going on from what overdramatic Joe said: I've learned to operate under the assumption that I am going work hard for several years, and create something which will be broadly ignored. But I did it for the love. Also guess each time I probably learn something. Or that's what I tell myself to feel better...
Seems like a lot of people aim for immediate success. The success isn't what drives me either. Similar to you it is the new challenge each day brings that pushes us - and a passion for accomplishment. It is definitely an odd feeling working for, as you said, something that will be widely ignored. This is where I feel the humility is. Who is it for if nobody cares... hopefully it's for you.

Something my girlfriend and I are fully aware of is that this may be a one time chapter of my life. I have other paths set out, and if the time sacrificed doesn't feel like it was worth it then I move onto the next chapter.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 02:11:27 AM »

no one owes you a care, nobody is your mom out there, not even your girlfriend
although you can just become an emotional parasite, its easy with power of internet, all devs do it now
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 02:40:45 AM »

Ah, I remember this. Only a few years ago, we poured our hearts, souls and nerves into a pretty big project, although we had no idea what we were ding. Our success has been mediocre, so now we no longer like making games where we don't have fun 90% of the time. That's why now we're making a '90s style live action trash fmv game. No scripts, no big preparation, we just take some larp equipment or craft some new one and improvise, like we're bored kids with a video camera in college again. It's really funny... to us :D

stix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »

Alright I was wrong. TIG can be mad pessimistic lol.
Well I wish all you complaining turds the best regardless.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 02:29:17 PM »

I'm not complaining Tongue

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 05:33:58 PM »

Whatever you do, make sure your body and mind remain trained and in harmony with each other. This is the basis that will provide healthy fuel for every activity in your life, even in difficult times. Every urge to ignore this basis is a weakness (and cause for a number of psychological problems), even when you feel accomplished.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 11:24:58 PM »

if even one soul get discouraged from making videogames, my mission is acomplished
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 12:39:01 AM »

i bag on j-snake perhaps too much but he's right, treat your body well especially in times of stress
Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »

What about you guys? Have you felt that knock in humility? Have you become more peaceful with your inner self? I haven't been on TIG long, but damn if this community doesn't seem humble and caring.

Well at times I feel the humility maybe a bit too much, to be honest. But I like to think that gamedev overall had a positive effect on me. Good luck on your gamedev journey  Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic