Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1343124 Posts in 61492 Topics- by 53047 Members - Latest Member: SaltyPineapple

July 19, 2018, 11:33:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Red Market - A Narrative Monster Hunting Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Red Market - A Narrative Monster Hunting Game  (Read 212 times)
Keirley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2018, 02:09:02 AM »

The Red Market is a narrative, text-based monster hunting, trading, breeding, and eating simulator:

• Choose one of five characters with unique benefits (e.g. influence with high society as a result of your loveless cage of a marriage to a local captain of industry) and drawbacks (e.g. an empty, ravenous void where your humanity once was).
  • Send out expeditions to capture dangerous and disquieting monsters.
  • Cook them into disquieting dishes.
  • Cross-breed them into arguably yet more disquieting offspring.
  • Sell them for profit, or else be crushed, gored, dissolved, enveloped, consumed, or hollowed out and inhabited by them in turn; your limbs moving at their command; their eyes looking out through your own.

You can download the prototype from here (please extract the files and play the game in your browser): https://nkeirle.itch.io/the-red-market

Made in Inkle's amazing narrative scripting language 'Ink'. I've just finished the prototype of the game, which consists of an extended tutorial (with a fair deal of player freedom and hidden secrets) and one extra monster encounter. The next step is to get it running in an actual game engine (Unity, specifically), and then gradually add further monsters, locations, and secrets. In the longer term, I have plans for an end-game, a restart mechanic, and multiple character-specific hidden end goals.

Future builds will add dozens more varied monsters, such as:
  • The Tree of Hands
  • The Threadbare Visitor
  • Jenny Hundredweight
  • And, of course, the elusive Double Lion

It's always going to be a primarily text-based game, like its influences, but I am looking to make it a slightly more visual experience (think Cultist Simulator or King of Dragon Pass) in further updates. I'll also be looking into commissioning art for the game at a later date.

I'd really appreciate any feedback or criticism on the prototype! Feel free to post any below, or send me criticism/advice/death threats/doxx me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/nicholaskeirle?lang=en)

(Inspired by Fallen London, A House of Many Doors, Chandler Groover’s 'The Queen’s Menagerie' and Eat Me’, King of Dragon Pass, the Sorcery! series, as well as books like Hilary Mantel’s ‘Wolf Hall’, Amy Sackville’s ‘Painter to the King’.)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:33:08 PM by Keirley » Logged
Keirley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:36 PM »

(2018-07-19) Quick update. Minor bug fixes, and a general tidying up. Now available for download on its own itch.io page:

https://nkeirle.itch.io/the-red-market

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:04:04 AM »

Ahh I'd love to see some pictures!
And a web export! I got so used to playing twines and inkles instantly, that it makes me very sad when I have to download anything. ( i know itchio supports that, I make these games  Who, Me? )

Maybe add Crypt Shyfter to the inspiration list? It's a cool series, lots to learn from it!
For example, it'd be great to see a crude picture sometimes, maybe just as a tone setter, but even choose-your-own-adventure books had fun art covers!

About the content, it's best to keep paragraphs bite-sized. If you'd like to reveal a big chunk of text it's best to move to a new page. The gameplay tempo in IF is an art of its own haha. When I click and I have to wait 2-3 seconds before I can start reading again, that's kinda off-putting, it's a cool trick to use in an usual situation, but for normal reading, we should try to create as little friction as possible. Like, turning pages is quick, every couple of pages you might have a popup illustration of a crazy castle, but you gotta space them out. 

Create more please! :D
« Last Edit: Today at 03:10:05 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic