Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:03:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Implementing a joint like in Bomb Squad, in Unity?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Implementing a joint like in Bomb Squad, in Unity?  (Read 1097 times)
Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »

Hello,

I'm trying to implement 'limp arms' that swing about like in bomb squad, in Unity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqMEkaUkqXQ#t=0m30s

So far I've been using a Character joint generated by the Ragdoll wizard, but the arms seem to wave about like crazy for some reason.

Any idea on an alternate sort of joint or solution I could be using?

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »

I'm still working on this. I figured that I will be needing the skinned mesh renderer either way, so I'm still trying to animate the actual bones instead of trying to fake it by creating a separate 'physics arm'. The first step is to get the joint working properly when there isn't even an animator component. As you can see, that's going well:

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »

Even with a fixed joint connecting a non-kinematic ridigbody (arm) to a kinematic rigidbody (spine), the arm wants to float upwards and snap back. Currently trying to figure out why the arm wants to float up in the first place, when there is no Animator component involved either.

Edit: I've figured out that this particular issue was happening because a non-kinematic rigidbody was occupying a space close to the spine.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:16:17 PM by Kyuugatsu » Logged

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »

Alright, I finally got it to work, and all it took was my firstborn learning how character joints actually work and fooling the animator into not animating the arms.

So, to summarize, how to get this working:
- Rename the arm objects so the animator will leave them alone (or edit the animations in Mecanim -- but that's too much work)
- Make sure your character joints are set up to the correct values: IGNORE THE FANCY GIZMOS IN UNITY 2018+ -- they make no sense
- Apply the inertia-related physics yourself, since the arms are attached to a kinematic body
- Use transforms to move around, instead of Rigidbodies

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic