Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:34:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHTML5 puzzle game with retro MS-DOS look
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HTML5 puzzle game with retro MS-DOS look  (Read 604 times)
bw
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:22:43 AM »

I started making this puzzle game. The look is inspired by MS-DOS text mode games like ZZT and Kroz. There are only four puzzles right now, and they're all pretty hard.

The code is mostly done. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what I should do with this thing. Should I bother finishing it? Will anyone play it? Should I cut my losses and just start a different project? Could I possibly make money off of it?

I'm looking for any feedback or input. Go ahead and be honest.

http://coconut.xen.prgmr.com/bw/textmode/

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 11:33:02 AM by bw » Logged
MKeiN2
Level 0

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:56:54 AM »

I really don't think that it's possible to earn something from this other than from advertisements.

Nevertheless, as a developer myself i can 100% guarantee you that the worst thing you can do right now is to give up on this project. I could really list a lot of reasons for this, but the main point is that at least you could show this one in your portfolio once it's finished, especially if, i believe, major part of coding is already done.

If i were you i would focus on explaining the game mechanics as much as possible & adding new, simple levels with gradually increasing difficulty.

hi
Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:21:34 PM »

This isn't nearly intuitive enough to expect people to know what the blocks are, and even with a bit of playing it's not very clear. It would definitely be better to have tutorial levels.

As for earning anything from this, very unlikely.

tomgcoleman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:27:06 AM »

I like the game, it is unique, challenging!  You've made a nice platform to build levels.  Undo is impressive, quick rewind is fun.

Finish it or not?
Yeah, write down what it means to be finished, and do what you wrote.

Optional parts
I think for these things to be attractive you've got to have the easy bits, and the tricky bits.
In your levels, have side rooms that are not required.
Have the main part of the level be not impossibly hard like the ones you have today. Smiley
Make them hard enough that a new person takes less than 2 minutes per level to get through.
Have side advanced parts that take longer

How to make money on it:

Four ideas come to mind:

1. Pay for progress
2. Pay for choice
3. Pay to share
4. Pay for speaking engagements

The three big motivators are progress, choice and community.  People want these so much that they'll pay for it.
Have everything be possible to do for free, but paying can make it happen more quickly, or less randomly.

Pay for Progress
a. Provide levels, lots of levels, mostly very simple.  Give a sense of movement and progress.
b. Give positive feedback as they progress.  Maybe put in level milestones that change the wall color.
c. Put in extra stuff that is not required, but can be collected, such as coins or treats.
d. After x coins have been collected, let them cash in the coins to do some hack, like consume a cell, or push something in a way not allowed.
e. Make the coins possible to earn, but it takes some time, maybe put in a max per minute, so they have to wait.
f. Provide a way to pay real money to buy more coins.
g. Have some levels which take a very long time that provide a lucky spin of the wheel at the end.
h. Side doors to bonus levels cost coins to unlock

Pay to Publish
a. Provide a level editor
b. Make contests every so often where people vote on the best submission
c. Submitting a level costs coins
d. Voting for a level costs coins
e. Record how often a level is played, make a leader board.

Pay to Learn
a. Provide tutorials, or levels that give very basic examples.
b. Give practice rooms to try it out
c. The first few rooms are free
d. Advanced rooms for training cost coins
e. Learning applies to not only playing the game, but also designing a level.
f. Have some tutorial levels show how to create a level, or explain the critical parts

Pay to have you the Developer come and Lecture
a. Provide your services as a coach of game developers and level designers
b. Create a few you tube videos which demonstrate your ability to speak
c. Speaking topics : platform design, level design, game design, time management, publishing, play testing, self motivation, keeping the vision, trade offs, making money, the list goes on forever.  Indy game design is really hard, you have a lot to share!
e. Practice speaking and showing.  Join toastmasters and learn to public speak.
f. Offer to speak for free : schools, meet ups, videos, software company, dev workshop, test workshop

You can do this, you can make money on your passion, try to give more than you receive.
-tom
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:32:36 AM by tomgcoleman » Logged
bw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »

Thanks for the input, guys.

I'll probably try to finish this, just as a free nonprofit game.

The one thing I'll definitely do is add easier puzzles at the start, to get the player started.

I also feel like it should have some sort of story at the beginning, so the player is motivated to want to finish.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic