Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:03:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallLight of Altair - Launched!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Light of Altair - Launched!  (Read 4655 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 07:32:39 AM »

i haven't found it useful yet, though it may be useful for some -- as far as i know, nothing anyone said in a review of my game didn't come up with playtesters first

i wouldn't really want people who care about score to buy my games either if they're buying it primarily for its score, so i'd be fine with people who rely on scores so much not finding it; a good review score actually dissuades me in a way from buying a game anyway: i was wary of buying bioshock because its scores were so good, and only picked it up when it was on sale on steam for $5, since my tastes aren't the same as most game reviewers.

but the scores are usually so arbitrary that it doesn't matter, even when they're reviewed by the same place and the same people. i remember that suikoden 2 had poor review scores and suikoden 1 had great ones, but that had nothing to do with the quality of the games, it was just that s1 was released early on in the ps1 life before jrpgs like ff7 and xenogears came out, so s2 in comparison to those games seemed worse even though it was better than s1 (since it was still 2d and so on).

SaintXi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 01:16:42 PM »

Why even read the text of a review when you can use metacritic as the ultimate guide to everything Wink We just need 3 more big mainstream press type reviews and we will get a big metacritic stamp of approval (or disapproval). I notice less than a 1/3 of recent Indie games on Steam have enough mainstream reviews for a metascore - it is quite a struggle to get through to them.

We like mainstream reviews, so far they have all been fair - and should attract the right sort of gamer to at least try out the demo. We like blog reviews too, they are less constrained by commercial pressures. We even like the trainer's that have appeared for Light of Altair - they do a decent enough job of getting the name out there on gaming sites.

J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 03:48:27 AM »

Hey!

I just wanted to say I downloaded the demo off Steam and bought the game when it was over. It is great fun for the price! A few very personal thingies I'd like to comment on (and some of them have already been said before!):
- Carefully building up fleets and things and suddenly the mission runs out of time. DOH. Either run out of time, or some obscure rule regarding mission end. Either way, I couldn't figure it out too well, which is a bummer!
- Definitely needs a sandbox mode with decent AI! That would be teh awesome! I know it's coming out with the next chapter, according to you guys Smiley

Thanks for making a great game, and putting it at that price Wink

Cheers!

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic