Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:20:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Tilesets that don't consist of rectangles/squares
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tilesets that don't consist of rectangles/squares  (Read 1168 times)
verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2018, 05:39:56 AM »

Today I read this article about a new pentagon discovered that can cover a plane perfectly and completely by tiling.

At the bottom of the article, it has this nice picture of all such pentagons discovered so far:

I'd bet you could make a very interesting looking game with tiles of some of these shapes.

(the article also mentions that all triangles and quadrilaterals can tile a plane. Of course, hexagons can too.)

Has anyone ever seen/made a game that explored this idea? I'd imagine that it would get messy when you have to start dealing with pixels, but I still want to see/try it!

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 03:02:55 AM »

Nonsense like this is why you shouldn't read news sites like the guardian.

Most of these are just hexagon grids cut into pieces, or square grids with a bump in them that they skewed so they look funky. "15 types" "discovered" my foot.

The whole point of grids in games is to simplify things. To break things into even, uniform pieces that are easy to use, easy to store, serve as a unit of measurement, etc.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 04:44:12 AM »

Nonsense like this is why you shouldn't read news sites like the guardian.

Most of these are just hexagon grids cut into pieces, or square grids with a bump in them that they skewed so they look funky. "15 types" "discovered" my foot.

The whole point of grids in games is to simplify things. To break things into even, uniform pieces that are easy to use, easy to store, serve as a unit of measurement, etc.
The point is to use an identical pentagon to achieve one of these tilings, and finding such a thing is non-trivial. The point of interest is not whether the resulting grid looks 'new'. I'm not a mathematician, but I have a suspicion that all the larger tessellating shapes built from anything that tiles perfectly can be broken down into triangles (one level lower than the squares or hexagons you mentioned, as those can obviously be broken down into triangles)

Edit: I agree with your takeaway though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:50:42 AM by Glyph » Logged

verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »

Well, of course the point of using a grid system is convenience/simplicity. That's why it's so common. I started this thread looking for the use of uncommon tile shapes.

Hexagons are probably the most common alternative to squares/rectangles, like in Opus Magnum:

The article just had me wondering if anyone was crazy enough to have tried any of the other shapes.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic