Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:06:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStart-a-town! v0.2.1b HOTFIX (Feb 9th)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Start-a-town! v0.2.1b HOTFIX (Feb 9th)  (Read 21463 times)
Angelo
Level 1

Gah! My very funny personal text is too long for t

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2011, 06:57:59 AM »

Thanks! I'll try to figure out those errors. Fps seems good, it's the 1x or smaller zooms on high resolutions that I'm worried about, but it looks like it's playable so far. And yes, the UI is homegrown. I'm a UI nut. I like shiny UIs. Makes me wanna touch them in inappropriate ways. But since that's not physically possible, the closest thing I could do was write my own. My goal: make everyone wanna touch it. The UI, that is.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2011, 07:38:02 AM »

I definitely want to.

Touch it, I mean.

The UI, that is.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:56:50 AM by Alex May » Logged

KinoftheFlames
Level 0

Dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »

Very promising, looking forward to future releases!

Angelo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »

Thought I'd post the current (not final) patch notes for the next version:

• Map
    • Changed rotation hotkeys to Z, X.
    • Can now be rotated both ways.
    • Changed the hotkeys to change max visible layer from Alt + Mousewheel to Control + Mousewheel for more convenience while digging.
  • Right clicking on an object now opens a context menu with available interactions to choose from. The game remembers your last interaction allowing you to repeat it by pressing Control + Right click.
  • Added farming.
  • Sexied up tooltips. Significantly.
  • Added screenshot capturing. Screenshots are saved in the "Screenshots" folder inside the game executable folder. Additionally there's an option to render specific chunks to a file.
  • Reduced size of constructions window.
  • Walls
    • Are now treated as tiles, and as such can be walked and built upon, as long as a walkable path exists. Additionally, constructed tiles (like decks) can be built directly on the vertical face of the wall.
    • Now rotate properly when the map is rotated.

Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2011, 12:35:24 PM »

I looked at the screenshot and the title and instantly wanted a full version.

Keep going. Or else. ohgodilovesims
Angelo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2011, 05:28:04 AM »

Posted version 0.2.1. You can get it at http://www.startatown.com/p/download.html . Let me if you have any problems.

EDIT: I uploaded 0.2.1b which fixed some stupid things I forgot about. Find it at the same link.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:08:15 AM by Angelo » Logged

Joana
Level 0

Ambitious undertakings are the spice of life.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »

So, I played the newest version! (And I'm still loving it! Grin)

The only big problem I found (at least I'm assuming it's a problem Smiley) was that, after a while picking berries, the inventory number freezes and it never goes up again, only down. The number limit seems to be random. I got it at 11, 14 and 18, just to name a few. Then planted them (thus removing them all from my inventory), but I could never pick more again.

I found some other minor issues:

Some tiles do not show up under certain angles of the map. Here's a collage of screenshots to show you what I mean (the white triangles were my doing to tell you where the issue can be seen):

Also, when rotating the map around, sometimes the map doesn't draw at all. Everything goes blank. Zooming out fixes this, but going back to the same zoom level does this again. I don't know what might be causing this, because at other angles it draws fine. As an example, it occurred at the zoom and place of the image I posted (left most) if I rotated to the left.

Anyway, here's some other things for you to consider! Wink

• Switching tools is a little complicated right now, especially when doing things that need to use more than one tool. For example, while trying to plow a field, I'd like to both level it and plant it as I go along. Maybe you could consider having several inventory slots for each type of tool and some HUD element (quickbar) to quickly switch between them?
  • When trying to plow fields, sometimes the character gets on top of a tile I want to plow. Then it's a fight to the death between the meticulous me trying to click the ground around his feet and the stubborn me that just doesn't want to get him out of the way! Wink Are you going to implement any features that demand clicking directly on the character? If you are, I'm not really sure how to solve the problem. All my alternatives cause even more problems! Tongue

Anyway, keep it up! I'll keep checking the thread. This game seems to be shaping up pretty well! Grin

Angelo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2011, 10:02:38 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll sort out the problems you mentioned. As for the tools, I don't like it either, but it's hard to come up with a practical method. I'm also trying to think ahead, because I'm playing for items with multiple uses/interactions through context menus as is the case with the "Equip" interaction. If you put such an item on a quickbar, which interaction will be performed when you switch to it/press it?

Maybe a faster way to equip different tools? I haven't decided yet. For the moment, I think the "last interaction" hotkey is pretty convenient.

I think I don't completely understand the plowing the ground beneath you problem. Is it hard to aim at the tile with your character blocking it? If so, you can zoom in to make it easier.

I upgraded my map generation algorithm. While the old one made simple heightmaps, the new one makes everything from cliffs and overhangs to caves. Also, it's infinite. Although I haven't decided yet whether maps will be infinite or finite. Or perhaps a system like SimCity4 with randomly generated neighboring (bounded) regions.

Anyway, here's a couple of screenshots with the new map generator in action.

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2011, 07:53:30 AM »

Yes, please.

My friend, this is exactly the style of game I'd like to see in action. I've been talking up the same concept to folks at IGDA for months now, but I've got a project or two on my plate now so I haven't been able to dive in.

Mostly I'm excited about the principle of interacting with NPCs, and I'm kicking around ideas for how you'd communicate using symbolic primitives and dynamic tribe typing. However, sounds like you've got it covered. Let me know if you want any help here and there, ESPECIALLY let me know if you decide to open source your project.  Well, hello there!

The way I was thinking you could make a complete 'game' out of a project like this is by saying you have a certain period of time to prepare your settlement for winter. The bigger your settlement, and the better prepared their food stores are by the time snow falls, the better.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2011, 04:57:03 AM »

Those maps look spectacular! Natural caves, in particular, is a really exciting addition. Maybe it's all the RPGs over the years but exploration, to me, means grubbing around in caves  Wink
farcodev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »

wow cool screenshots, it reminds me populous/powermonger  Gentleman
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic