Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:18:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBattleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Battleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion  (Read 647 times)
QuadrupleA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »

A little implementation of the classic battleship puzzle, with a new hard-mode:

https://lukerissacher.com/battleships

Open for feedback on usability, difficulty, instructions etc.

Weapon Hacker - roguelite metroidvania;
Battleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion
tomgcoleman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »

good for background play
won it a few times, I like it, simple, challenging.
felt satisfying to see it say "you won", green background felt good
nice "show mistakes" feature

request:
error free mode, complete level without making any number turn red
option to turn background red when an error is hit

Once I click a number to fill in all water, cannot click again to undo
Once a puzzle is solved, cannot continue to play around
Some puzzles have more than one solution, but the "puzzle has mistakes" message may come.
Cannot build two boats with one tip pointing at the other and touching.
(If a corner is part of a horizontal boat, try building a vertical boat above or below and touching that tip.)
aaa
b
b

oops, sorry, I see now that ships cannot be in contact.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:19:21 AM by tomgcoleman » Logged
Luminous Wolf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »

Very good game! I played it for a while when I was supposed to be working, and that's the hallmark of a fun game! It was easy to figure out because all you have to do is click and drag to change the squares. I started with the small ones and then went right to the 15x15! You're right, this would be great to play while listening to something else.

I did find it a little easy because of the zero lines that I get to fill in with water and the no-diagonal rule. I'm not sure the hints are necessary; I definitely would have had more of a challenge if I hadn't read the "only place it fits" hint.

Also, does hard mode just give you a more difficult puzzle? The game doesn't state what hard mode does, and at first I was confused because the gameplay is the same. I did a 6x6 hard mode which was much harder than usual, though. Is hard mode supposed to force the player to explore different "paths," trying different possibilities of ship placement? Because I did a 7x7 hard mode in which I had a guaranteed correct move every step of the way and no "forks."

Great game, I'll be playing again!
QuadrupleA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:46 AM »

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback!

@tomgcoleman - Error free mode would be tricky because you have to click to cycle thru water / boat / blank, so there'd be intermediate error states. Shouldn't be any puzzles with multiple solutions though - if you're seeing those make sure to check that no boats are touching, even diagonally, and that any revealed boats keep their particular revealed shape (boat end vs. boat middle etc.). If all those are kosher and you still found an alternate solution let me know, that would be a bug (there's a bug reporting thing under the gear icon).

@Luminous - yeah, good point, part of the fun is figuring out the strategies yourself. And yes, hard mode just serves more difficult puzzles, although like you mentioned there's a lot of variation in difficulty. Some puzzles you have to try 5+ different alternate solution paths, each with sub-paths, some just require some careful reasoning in one or two places about where the largest boat can go. I should maybe sort those puzzles into medium & hard, or make the "hard enough" filter a bit more strict.

Weapon Hacker - roguelite metroidvania;
Battleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic