Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:12:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsThe Edge compo
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Edge compo  (Read 9881 times)
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:29:36 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6456.0

In short, some asshole called Tim Langdell threatened and tried to extort money from indie game developers Mobigame,as their game Edge supposedly infringe his trademark The Edge. The whole thing grew to epic proportions and thanks to some people's investigations, it was found that the man's company tried to tie itself to some reputable entities like the Edge Magazine, a hollywood movie and much more thanks to it's trademark "The Edge". Also shocking is that the guy is member of the IGDA, and guess what, they are trying to stay away from the whole thing, even if IGDA's reputation is at stake (and seriously threatened imo).

As this whole matter deserves to be known, and as some people suggested, what about starting a compo with the theme "Edge"?

Okenido
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »

I support the idea.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:37:33 AM »

bracing for hillarious competition

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:08:25 AM »

Yes!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »

I was going to organize this myself. Do you mind if I help you MikeDee?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »

I'm not sure it would be very fun

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Piranha
Level 1

capital z

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

YES
mirosurabu
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »

I don't know for you guys, but this inspires me in a weird way to create a crap game. This could be very helpful for me considering my actual situation.

Thank you Tim Langdell for being such a good inspiration.
raiten
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »

A competition is cool, but I had an idea for a collaboration that we could get out pretty quickly, if we co-operated. It'd be a very simplistic graphical text adventure - you are Tim Langdell, and get to play through his life.

The game would play like this: A screen with a pretty picture, some text describing the situation at hand and then a choice you can make, and you get a new screen with a picture and some text describing the outcome of your choice. If you made the nicer, kinder choice, that's game over - sort of everybody is happy ending, but if you choose the less nicer choice, the game goes on to the next scenario.

Each scenario would be based on some assholery we know Langdell was behind.
For example, the game could play something like this:

First screen (Picture of Tim Langdell sitting behind a desk): The year is 1982. You are Tim Langdell, the editor of hardware/software reviews at the British computer magazine "Your Computer". You notice the quality of some of the games the kids send in aren't that bad at all. As a matter of fact, some of them could probably be sold commercially. Since these kids are 15-17, they wouldn't ask for much in royalties either....
What do you chose?
A) Rip these kids off! I'll make money off of their games and they'll be able to brag that they've got a game published. They won't see much money coming from it, but hey! I will.
B) Nah, I think I'll keep editing here at the magazine. I enjoy it. Besides, it would be unethical to steal these kids' games.

Quick dirty mock-up:

Option A would take you to the next screen that we also base on what we know of Langdell. If we can use his Wikipedia article against him like I did above, that's great, but we also have stuff like that interview Derek linked to on how he ripped off those guys who ported an arcade game to the Commodore, and then left for America. If you instead choose B, that's the end of the game, and everybody is happy. Langdell got a great career in video game journalism, the kids went on to sell their games to reputable companies and became big video game stars, bla bla.

So course of events could for example be

Rip off kids or not -> Develop interesting unique titles or licensed crap like "Garfield" and "Snoopy" (where the money arguably is) -> Rip off the Commodore guys and elope to the States or pay up -> sue Edge and steal their logo or not -> sue Namco or not -> write your own Wikipedia article or not -> lie your way onto the IGDA or not -> sue Edge or not -> THE END (Tim becomes the laughing stock of the entire industry and ends up impoverished on the streets of LA)

where for each decision, the good choice (the one real-life Langdell didn't make) brings you to a happy ending, while the bad brings you to the next step. Of course, the further you progress, the more rotten Langdell ends up, so we can't let him get away too lightly for past sins. You could get a "corrupted bastard" rating - kids like that stuff.

If there's a few of us, each person could do either one screen, or a set of screens (the introduction screen and one for each choice). The style of each screen or scenario could be completely different too, pixeled, painted, anything, that would just make it cooler. If there's anybody who'd volunteer to make a song that'd be cool too. I'd be happy to make one or more sets myself, organize it and make it into a flash game.

What do you think? Should I create a separate thread for this (am I hi-jacking?)? Are you interested? We could have an awesome game finished in practically a day or two.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:04:29 PM by raiten » Logged
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »

I was going to organize this myself. Do you mind if I help you MikeDee?

Absolutely not, the more people organizing the better.  Wink

raiten: Sounds like a great idea, I think we have our first entry  :D

I think this theme is great as oretty much any kind of game could be made.  Grin

I'm already working on my entry, it will most likely be a FPS starring our lovable Tim Langdell. Your aim will be to shoot down the naive indie game developers who have "Edge" written in their forehead, using such guns as the Extort Gun, Threat Gun, and the most powerfull one, the Sue Gun.
You will be able to use such powerups as the Edit My Wikipedia Page, Trademark More Names as well as the Tie Myself to Reputable Companies.

Oh and the game will be called Edge: The Game.

More to come.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:59:18 PM by MikeDee » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »

A competition is cool, but I had an idea for a collaboration that we could get out pretty quickly, if we co-operated. It'd be a very simplistic graphical text adventure - you are Tim Langdell, and get to play through his life.

The game would play like this: A screen with a pretty picture, some text describing the situation at hand and then a choice you can make, and you get a new screen with a picture and some text describing the outcome of your choice. If you made the nicer, kinder choice, that's game over - sort of everybody is happy ending, but if you choose the less nicer choice, the game goes on to the next scenario.

Each scenario would be based on some assholery we know Langdell was behind.
For example, the game could play something like this:

First screen (Picture of Tim Langdell sitting behind a desk): The year is 1982. You are Tim Langdell, the editor of hardware/software reviews at the British computer magazine "Your Computer". You notice the quality of some of the games the kids send in aren't that bad at all. As a matter of fact, some of them could probably be sold commercially. Since these kids are 15-17, they wouldn't ask for much in royalties either....
What do you chose?
A) Rip these kids off! I'll make money off of their games and they'll be able to brag that they've got a game published. They won't see much money coming from it, but hey! I will.
B) Nah, I think I'll keep editing here at the magazine. I enjoy it. Besides, it would be unethical to steal these kids' games.

Quick dirty mock-up:

Option A would take you to the next screen that we also base on what we know of Langdell. If we can use his Wikipedia article against him like I did above, that's great, but we also have stuff like that interview Derek linked to on how he ripped off those guys who ported an arcade game to the Commodore, and then left for America. If you instead choose B, that's the end of the game, and everybody is happy. Langdell got a great career in video game journalism, the kids went on to sell their games to reputable companies and became big video game stars, bla bla.

So course of events could for example be

Rip off kids or not -> Develop interesting unique titles or licensed crap like "Garfield" and "Snoopy" (where the money arguably is) -> Rip off the Commodore guys and elope to the States or pay up -> sue Edge and steal their logo or not -> sue Namco or not -> write your own Wikipedia article or not -> lie your way onto the IGDA or not -> sue Edge or not -> THE END (Tim becomes the laughing stock of the entire industry and ends up impoverished on the streets of LA)

where for each decision, the good choice (the one real-life Langdell didn't make) brings you to a happy ending, while the bad brings you to the next step. Of course, the further you progress, the more rotten Langdell ends up, so we can't let him get away too lightly for past sins. You could get a "corrupted bastard" rating - kids like that stuff.

If there's a few of us, each person could do either one screen, or a set of screens (the introduction screen and one for each choice). The style of each screen or scenario could be completely different too, pixeled, painted, anything, that would just make it cooler. If there's anybody who'd volunteer to make a song that'd be cool too. I'd be happy to make one or more sets myself, organize it and make it into a flash game.

What do you think? Should I create a separate thread for this (am I hi-jacking?)? Are you interested? We could have an awesome game finished in practically a day or two.

That screenshot makes me support this idea.
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »

I love the idea, but might be a bit much for a fully fledged compo.. maybe give bonus points for whoever does in the next compo? :D

Also, those screenshots are hot.

Fuzz
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 07:36:59 PM »

Kiss raiten
I'd totally participate in that.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »

Mmm... now that I look at it, there are two other mini-compos going on. maybe it's all getting a bit crowded?

I still think this one is relevant though.

raiten
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 01:41:28 AM »

I made a separate topic for my collaboration idea - if you want to participate, go and sign up -> http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6557.0
mirosurabu
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »

MikeDee: Haha, I like your idea. It's very simple but straight to the point.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »

Mike, I'll spruce up the first post on this thread tonight, then sticky it.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »

Edgegar Edgerton: On the Edge of Egdiness in Edgeland

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »

Actually Mike, I think it's better if I start a new thread. I'll credit you and everything. I'll work on the post and you can tell me if it's okay with you. I'll wait a couple of hours.

MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 04:18:37 AM »

oh no problem at all, go ahead  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic