Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:22:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 42 (Aug 10-13) [RUNNING OUT OF SPACE]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 42 (Aug 10-13) [RUNNING OUT OF SPACE]  (Read 23289 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2018, 05:06:40 AM »

Was thinking it should be about time, and what do you know? PoV posted one hour ago that it's time to get ready for LD42 and that we can already join the event and suggest themes!

This time LD starts 3 hours early!
(and ends 3 hours early; you don't get extra time!)
More info here!

Semicopypasted explanation of LD from last thread:

LD is a game jam. You optionally vote for a theme in the days running up to the event, and then based on that theme or keyword you get 48 or 72 hours (plus a submission hour) to make a game! You need to go on the website, log in, and click 'join event' before it starts!

48 hours is referred to as "compo" and 72 as "jam" and they have different rules—jam is more relaxed and you're allowed to work in a team—so make sure you read the rules on the website first.

When the time is up, a couple of weeks of playing games and rating/commenting them (only people who submitted their own games can do this) commences, and if you want to get ratings/comments yourself you need to do this.

You don't win anything beyond good ratings/comments at best, but it's fun and you always grow a little bit as a developer, as does your portfolio!

Remember that you need to host your game yourself—the LD website does not provide this. The website has a guide for this. Also you need to make it work at least on web or Windows (I think?) to be allowed to submit your game.

Twitter hashtag: #LDJAM (even if you're doing the compo)

Great blog post from an earlier LD here on considering keyboard differences between countries and so on, and more to bear in mind!

LD42 keynote:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:09:41 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 05:07:31 AM »

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 05:14:49 AM »

Was waitin for this thread for a long time, thank you  Gentleman
Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:48:22 AM »

Smiley
Oops, didn't see your PM until now, haha. Seems like everybody (you, me, PoV) was synchronised for LD at just about the same time!

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:37:33 AM »

Smiley
Oops, didn't see your PM until now, haha. Seems like everybody (you, me, PoV) was synchronised for LD at just about the same time!
Had my theme suggestions already submitted for a while. But opening the LD thread here is yours, by tradition.
Mods should add that to your user title Smiley
Crazi456
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:45:26 PM »

Yay, it's almost time again!
SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 04:20:13 AM »

This time, I'm tempted to make some browser multiplayer game, just because I've never programmed in Java Script before. What could go wrong?

I'm open to game/genre suggestions  Beg
verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 05:12:41 AM »

This is the first LD that I might be actually able to participate in. Any tips for a first timer like me?

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »

This is the first LD that I might be actually able to participate in. Any tips for a first timer like me?
I'd say, to start with, set your goal for ludum dare.  You cannot make a game with perfect story, gameplay, art, tech, cross platform etc. Don't be sad about what you cannot achieve on a weekend, decide early on what your goal is.

A lot of people want to create a game, from start to finish, be it whatever, as long as it's done. Some ppl want just to create something really pretty looking, some want to create that game they always wanted and LD is just a good excuse to drop everything else they're chained to... for me it's about having some fun. I don't expect to get it done, but I want to have something special at least some friends can try.

Whats your goal verdog? Smiley
verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »

I suppose I'd want to create a proof of concept kind of thing for a mechanic that I come up with in line with the theme.

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »

I suppose I'd want to create a proof of concept kind of thing for a mechanic that I come up with in line with the theme.
In that case, if I was you, I'd try to have a working version at all time and iterate iterate iterate. A lot of time, mechanics don't directly turn out as good as they are in our mind, but usually it just takes some tiny twist to make it super fun. Finding that twist is about 100 tries and 99errors.

if you are not skilled in art, you can use some of https://opengameart.org
to create sounds, a lot of people use http://ludumdare.com/compo/2007/12/13/sfxr-sound-effects-for-all/

have fun! Smiley
verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »

Thanks for the tips Smiley

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 03:27:23 AM »

come come and slaughter the themes with me Hand Fork Left
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 01:37:44 AM »

Sam already said it, but out of tradition…

verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 05:25:08 AM »

Sam already said it, but out of tradition…

Time to prune the themes!

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/42/theme
Strangely enough, when I try to log in on this page, pressing the 'n' key triggers this message:

I can log in just fine on other pages...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »

Oh, wow. Yeah, I think the N key can be pressed to vote 'no' for a theme and apparently the script that checks that also triggers when you try to type in your name/password? Tongue

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 02:36:50 AM »

Since there seems to have been some confusion from people on the LD website I might as well clarify this here too: it also ends 3 hours earlier, you don't get 3 extra hours. Tongue

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 12:27:09 AM »

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:37:23 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 04:05:56 AM »

Someone should curate the themes before the slaughter round. WTF

I don't have time the whole saturday, so i'm i'm not in, probably.
Maybe i'll create a super short game (Unity or PuzzleScript) if i have a game idea for the picked theme.*

*Seeing the first page of themes who made it through the slaughter lets me expect the worst.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 05:05:06 AM »

aww Sad

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic