Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:43:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignΒuilding a web tool for game and story design - Looking for feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Βuilding a web tool for game and story design - Looking for feedback  (Read 1062 times)
zanzavar
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:25:09 PM »

Hi everyone,

We are a team of two working for the past few months on a project and we would be very happy to hear your opinion / feedback on the ideas behind it. The project is called Arcweave and it is a web-based flowchart-like tool to design, organize and scale game design and story content.

It all started 6 months ago, when after a few game jams we decided to start working on a bigger game project. I began writing the GDD on a google doc but very soon found out that i was in need of additional features to properly maintain and scale my game design. I wanted to be able to:

- Develop branching storylines and dialogue in a visual and easily readable format
- Write things down for my characters, locations, items e.t.c and easily access this information from different parts of the story
- Create an overview of the game and then "dive" in each part of the story and start fleshing out the details
- Share my progress with the other members of the team so that they could comment on it and give me feedback.

Based on these needs we looked around for a tool that did something like this but could not find anything close to our requirements, so we decided to build it ourselves. Fast forward 6 months and here are some screenshots of how the tool looks so far:

We plan on releasing a closed beta in a few weeks. Τhe MVP will initially support the following:

- Create and connect story elements in a flowchart layout and add labels on the connections

- Multi-select, copy/cut/paste elements

- Create components (e.g. characters, locations, items) and add image/text inputs in them

- Attach components to elements

- Mention a component inside the story content using the @ character (mentioned components dynamically change when they are renamed)

- Create multiple boards

- Attach boards to elements for quick access.

- Create multiple projects

- Autosave projects/boards on the cloud

We are looking forward to your comments, ideas and feedback. Also we greatly welcome any suggestions as to if/how you would like this tool to move forward and how it could help your workflow, as well as if you would like to participate in the closed beta stage.

Finally if you want to get notified on the progress updates follow the project on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/arcweave

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:43:03 PM by zanzavar » Logged
gregklein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »

This looks awesome! I mostly use Twine for my games and have been looking for something else. I know things like Yarn and Repny exist, but I would love to check this out.

Will it run in a web browser?
zanzavar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »

Thanks @greklein!

Yes, it will be browser based with cloud support for assets and content management as well as project sharing capabilities. We plan to add realtime collaboration in the future as well.
DRPZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »

This looks really cool, and I can really see it occupying a different niche to Twine. Reminds me of Scrivener.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic