Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:21:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Unity - optimizing GPU performance?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unity - optimizing GPU performance?  (Read 716 times)
Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:52:38 AM »

I'm currently working on a 3d game in Unity with a fairly high tri/poly count. I have a fairly old graphics card (Nvidia GTX 970).

The bottleneck in my game usually has been the GPU so far. I'm trying to figure out how to judge the graphics performance in my game, but there are so many numbers like, say, Gigaflops and so on. Can I actually use these numbers to compare my game's performance? If my graphics card has a fairly low benchmark result and my game usually runs at 60 fps or higher, will I be okay? I usually look at Unity's profiler to see what's taking up resources a lot.

I tried older hardware (2008) where I could still run the game at 30 fps with a low resolution. Can I trust these results? Are there other ways I can judge performance? There are lots of articles about performance in Unity. When would you let it go or keep trying?

How have you done performance tests in the past, especially 3d games?

http://www.origamihero.com - freeware oldschool games |  gamedev twitter
SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:25:33 AM »

On PC, the best is to give your player options to adjust the game perf/quality themself. Some are fine with 30 FPS, some want 120 FPS, it's like resolution, there is not just that ONE for all, not on PC.
If you can, it's always nicer to optimize more, but you most likely just can't make it run 60 on some 1988 toaster. So, give the users options Smiley

If you want to spent some time on this, create a tiny benchmark that you run when the game starts for the first time and check which of your presets runs the game at 60, and pick that as the default option.
Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 05:17:34 AM »

Thanks! I created lots of options like resolution settings, realtime shadows off/medium/high, turning off certain image effects, etc., so that should be fine.

The benchmark idea is good. This could run behind a logo during the intro or something on a first run. The settings can always be changed later, anyway. Smiley

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 12:22:36 AM »

The GTX 970 is a quite powerful card, expecially for a 3D indie game, usually games with a "really" lot of assets need a more powerful card than yours, big budget games from AAA company.

Teraflops are a good way to categorize GPU performance, even if is not very precise, there are many other factors that can determine the final fps on screen (memory bandwith, game optimizations etc.).

You can take as a reference recent games from the market, if your game is running at 30fps at high settings while Rise of the Tomb Rader is running at 60fps, that should be a ring a bell that something is not working. Your method is sufficiently enough to be sure that even players with older hardware can play your game. The only correct way is to try the game using all the different GPUs in the market from different performance ranges, but it is something that an indie developer cannot afford easily.

Games:

Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »

I got the numbers confused when I wrote the first post on my mobile phone - I actually have a GTX 750, now that I can look at my system specs. The GTX 970 would be more than twice as good as my 750. Giggle It usually runs my game at about 60 fps, so that's good.

The old hardware that ran my game at 30fps with a low resolution/low settings was my 2008 laptop with a Mobility Radeon HD 5850, so I'm kind of hoping it'll be okay. Playing it at 30 fps felt okay. Comparable hardware would probably be the minimum specs.

Comparing performance with other games is a good idea. I'll use that and my old laptop as reference points. Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic