Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:31:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Unreal Blueprint Question
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unreal Blueprint Question  (Read 504 times)
Interactive_Media_Makers
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2018, 06:04:15 PM »

Hello. I need some help with one of my current projects.

I use blueprints. I want to make an enemy (a giant creature) whose hands can follow the players (a small character) at any location, as long as they are in range. If they're not, the enemy walks and positions itself until its hands can get to the player.

I want to create an effect where the player feels like the enemy is trying to grab or slap them, but I don't know if animations would be the best way to go.

I don't know if the description above describes it well, so tell me if you want more info before helping me with this.
Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 03:37:18 AM »

While I don't know anything about blueprints and Unreal, there are a few general concepts that usually work in all 3d engines: Bone position/rotation manipulation or Bone IK. A lot of IK solutions allow you to specify a goal position for the last bone in a chain of bones. You then could compare the position of the last bone to the player positon and trigger a grab, or, if the distance is too high, a walk sequence. I've used similar approaches in my game, where a metal snake moves its head towards the player. This was done with a FabrIK solution. That's a somewhat straight-forward type of IK you can easily apply in most 3d engines.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:40:49 PM by Bernie » Logged

http://www.origamihero.com - freeware oldschool games |  gamedev twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic