Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411610 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 01:25:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMy Mobile Dev Adventure(Game #1 Done)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Mobile Dev Adventure(Game #1 Done)  (Read 624 times)
DontWorry
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »

Hello all and welcome to my mobile game development log!
Here I will be chronicling the journey of the various mobile games I will be making into one spot.

Some shudder at the thought of mobile games with frustrating controls, intrusive advertisements, and questionable in app purchases.
While those things can go wrong real quick in mobile games I still think there are plenty of solid games on these stores that
show the real potential of gaming on these devices. With phones becoming more and more powerful I curious where mobile gaming will go.

Though I am here to just make some fun games that I can look back and be proud of.
This is going to be almost like a "making 100 games in 100 weeks* type of challenge project except I plan to
work on each project for a minimum of about a month. I also plan to try using different game engines and frameworks from time to time seeing what works well.

*This first page is just going to be a table of contents really*

Game 1: ROBOBIT RUNNERS - RELEASED!

Check a look here if want: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.WereWulffStudios.ROBOBITRUNNERS

Here's the trailer too:

Game 2: "CURRENTLY JUST AN IDEA" - THINKING ABOUT IT!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:03:11 PM by DWulff » Logged
DontWorry
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »

So the first project is a endless runner game I made back in 2015/2016 called BitBot Runners.

This game was made with Unity and it was alright, but not at the quality that I was happy with.
The game was a good project to get my feet wet as it was my first game released. I've heard that it
is best to move on from your first project on to better things. I still ended up coming back to revisit
it after learning a whole lot over the past couple of years and gave it an overhaul.

To me this feels a lot better! I completely redid the porcedural generation from scratch, used Magica Voxel to bring the pixel art into the 3rd dimension, and having been making a new chiptune rock sound track that gives it a whole new life.

So far the gameplay consists of running and gunning endlessly, jumping through hoops, and challenges that pop up every once in a while.

Here is a WIP of one of the challenges that pops up:

In this challenge the play will shoot the ball to score a goal, with each score the goalie will become larger and faster. Though it is hard to see what is going on exactly with the white boxes!

I am using advertisements in the game ,but I make sure that they are completely unintrusive and self voluntary.
Ads can quickly kill any good will the player had toward your game, plus having them pop up really destroys any immersion that was beginning to take place.

Right now the endless mode is almost done and feels a lot better than the original. This game isn't completely done yet though since I have also been working on a little adventure mode with had crafted levels. I plan on experimenting and releasing a nice polished endless mode then having the adventure mode come later when its ready. Overall so far so good! Hand Metal Right

DontWorry
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »

WOWZERS

It has been a few months that I put anything on here, but it is a fairly small game with not too much to show off.

First and foremost I will be releasing the game quietly on this upcoming Tuesday Jan 8th 2019. I truly wanted to get this small game done, but as always everything takes double the time to complete than what you plan for. Of course as a lone student operation my marketing for this game has very little reach. I plan to do what I can to get the ball rolling, as I expected a more slow burn type of strategy.

I am truly proud of the soundtrack I composed for the game which is a combination of chiptune and rock. Each level in adventure mode has a custom track for that level, and each different menu has a theme too! Tried to write each song to the theme of the level itself. A funky chromatic guitar riff that fits a swamp, or a wide cavern with lots of reverb to fill the space. It could be something to listen to while you work on your own projects(or not the choice is yours).

You can find it right here:

Adventure Mode

This part of the game took me another 3 months which was probably around the same amount of time it took for the other parts of the game. I am most proud of this part as well.

Some levels from the adventure mode

I treated level design a lot like Mario or Sonic games where there is one staple mechanic that gets used in more complicated ways as the level progresses. Though there is restrictions since the game has the player constantly moving and with only two buttons to control actions. The staples of each level have to be created with this in mind and most of them turn out simple. Though I try to get the max mileage I can since it is really fun to see how you can stretch one simple mechanic( ie. a bounce or a moving wall).

https://gfycat.com/OrderlyDentalBeardedcollie

If you somehow made it this far thank you for taking the time!
I have definitely learned a lot over the years and can really tell that I'm getting better at doing this so that's a success to me!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:58:02 PM by DWulff » Logged
DontWorry
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:35 PM »

Lots Of Learning

Well the game reached a good state to finally release it. Durr...?
It truly was nice to finally release something since it has been 3 years since releasing the first version.
I have become more confident on wearing most of the different hats, and my game making ability.
Overall I am happy with how it turned out and the code base is way more manageable/extendable than the first.

When making a game/product marketing should definitely big a part of the process.
Being a lone nobody like many indie devs these days are it can be difficult to get the buzz generating for your game.
I have few ideas to help out this project in particular , but there are limits when starting from ground zero.

I had lots of fun designing levels, creating a final boss, and making the music. I'll probably do a few bonus adventure levels as those turned out to be the strongest part of the game.  Hand Metal Right
 Completing this funny little mobile game is like saying goodbye to an old friend who crashed on the couch for 6 months, but now is moving to a "not half bad" studio apartment of their own.
Though after recreating this game from the ground up I think it's really time to finally move on to new and better ideas. Beer!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic