Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:23:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessNeed some advice on where to set my sights on a first time publishing deal.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need some advice on where to set my sights on a first time publishing deal.  (Read 1160 times)
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2018, 03:57:57 PM »

Long story short, after a few years of development, I'm ready to start scoping out publishers, I have a tentative deal on the table but there's only one problem, I don't know if it's any good.

I started with a minimal number needed to finish my game because I started out with 0 offers and leverage but by know means made it sound like anything but the minimal number needed, not necessarily the number willing to accept if actually going into a partnership with someone.

If anyone has insight, or has been in this situation, I would GREATLY appreciate a brief conversation about where I should set my sights, how low is too low of an offer and where I should slam the yes button.

Thank you Smiley

Shyk62
Level 0

Hey Guys, Not a Dev Here :D

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »

Hey man, Really good to hear that you already have an investor lined up.

Well, since games in general is very volatile. You are going to need to define the potential of your game. This is not the absolute best way to price your game to an investor as these things are very subjective.

What do you have? Then, What do you need?
What will you need from your publisher? Marketing? Funding? Getting into a platform?

You will need to know what you need from them to make a better deal.

If you are looking for someone to publish and market.
1. How much will they take?
2. Will you get your returns?
3. Will this sustain you for making your next game?
When you see that the deal is good. You actually still have to see if they are capable of selling your game.
1. What Markets havet hey tapped before?
2. Assess their Advertising
3. Can they build a community?
4. How many games have they published?

If you are looking to sell your game to a publisher instead.
1. What is your production cost? - This has to be the most obvious way to start out. with giving numbers. How much did you spend to make the game
2. What is your reach and audience engagement? - This will set the tone for your projection of selling the game
3. Whats your target market? - The potential that your game can be sold at. Its more or less a cap
4. How much of the Target Market have you already reached?
5. Does your proof of concept for your game work?

Since these things are very subjective. Im not really sure how it can work best for you.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »

I've only considered the publisher situation so I'll respond with my thoughts and observations.

Shyk62 has described very well the points you need to consider. 

Unfortunately, mainly due to NDAs, you probably won't find actual numbers/values (perhaps privately).  If you have more than one offer then you could at least decide which is "better". But, as mentioned, exact details will vary from deal to deal.  So at the end of the day the main consideration will be: Is the deal worth it to you?  At the minimum, it should cover your cost during the development of the game.  Then you need to consider if you are fine with the rest of the terms.

In a way reaching a deal is kind of like haggling.  Yeah, if you ask, sometimes you could get a "better deal", but if you are fine with what you got then focus on that.

Refeuh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 08:16:39 AM »

A bit late to the party, but adding to previous post, here's an overview of the typical services you should expect (and get !) from any serious publisher :

- market expertise, to help position the product in terms of public expectations and competitors
- funding, at least partial. Good sign of commitment ensuring they will do their best to maximise return on investment ; including yours
- public relations, both online and physical presence : forums, social networks, game conventions, etc. to build a community
- advertisement, to reach consumer target and expand player base
- quality control and workflows ; even if you have good internal production, the producer should be able to assist if necessary
- external services : QA, localisation, devkits, etc.

Just stay away from self-proclaimed improvised "publishers" you find in social networks groups that offer nothing but ineffective online PR, and cheap deals that don't really commit to anything and only expect to skim some money at no cost if you happen to sell anything at all.

Game Producer & Agile Consultant - http://raphaelgervaise.com
Ninichi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:44:45 AM »

I'm not sure if this list if helpful to you at this stage, but a little while ago I put together a list of 16 Indie-Friendly Indie Game Publishers (https://ninichimusic.com/blog/16-indie-friendly-indie-game-publishers).  Given that you already have a deal on the table, this may be a bit late and you may already know of these companies, but if not, it could open up other options for you should the deal not feel right to you or should you want to explore other potential publishing partners.

Good luck with your game!

NINICHI
Freelance Game Music Composer
Ninichimusic.com
@ninichimusic
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »

As another developer who intends to look into finding a publisher, know that your posting of that list is appreciated, even if it turns out that the original poster doesn't have use for it! Thank you--it looks rather useful! ^_^

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic