Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:44:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCan you make a game with a near-potato pc?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Can you make a game with a near-potato pc?  (Read 1138 times)
Malignanttoe
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:35:26 AM »

My computer is dying (I think it's the processor) and I don't have the budget to fix or replace it. Developing a game has always been an interest of mine, but I'm not sure how much processing power I need to MAKE one. I'm sure an old school 2D RPG would be easy enough given my hardware, but what if I want to make something with 3D models and realistic textures?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 06:37:36 AM »

do you have any experience making games? if not start with a simple 2d thing anyway regardless of your goals and dreams. anyway the answer is it depends
MSThalamus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »

Well, I mean if your processor is actually _dying_ I wouldn't start any project. If you're really worried about your processing power in the short term, you could always develop a game in layers (which would be a good idea anyway, although not all engines lend themselves well to this approach). For example, let's say you want to make a card combat game similar to Hearthstone. So much of that game is logic that requires really next to no compute power. You could develop all that logic in a self-contained module, develop your data store and data access layers, and develop an easily replaceable text-based UI to complement that. Then, when you've got more / more reliable processing power available, you can swap the UI layer out for a GUI layer. The same thing can apply to an RPG, although graphical presentation is more complicated than for a card game.

Hope this helps!
Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

I made parts of my last game (a 2d pixel platformer) on a cheap and slow Windows 8 tablet in Gamemaker Studio. It took a bit longer to compile and try out, but other than that it wasn't a bad experience.

The version 4 Unity3d editor also seems to run okay on slow hardware (that's the one I tried, no idea how newer versions will perform).

Both options don't cost anything to mess around with so you could just go and see how well they run.

http://www.origamihero.com - freeware oldschool games |  gamedev twitter
haanuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 04:05:45 AM »

Well it depends, how potato is your PC?
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »

My computer was considered old-ish in 2014., I'm still making games on it!

Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »

People used to make games on PCs in 1990. 3D games even, technically. Nowadays, those games wouldn't qualify as potatoes. Grains of rice, maybe? Small crumbs?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:55:52 PM »

Back in my day we had to make do with cassava PCs

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 04:55:47 AM »

can your pc run slack
Bellator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 04:07:27 AM »

Depends on a game and a platform you wanna make the game on  Shrug
For starters if you are a beginner, you could just play with JS/HTML5 and make an incremental game, post it on kongregate or reddit for reviews and start from here. If you can run notepad, that would be sufficient i guess haha
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 06:07:01 AM »

the official answer is you can, but you won't
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic