Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:22:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you remember working on your first game?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Do you remember working on your first game?  (Read 3056 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »

how much to hire super joe as an inflUenCer
i spit on mens laws and only do things that will either benefit humanity or are dumb as shit
goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »

I remember my first game... I just got a computer maybe a week beforehand (a 386.) I was on that computer constantly for that week or so checking out all the DOS commands and I wound up finding qbasic.exe. Using the online help I figured out a few things and then starting putting a game together.

The game didn't make much sense. It was similar to LORD (the BBS game) except it had some vga graphics and some cruel stuff like mugging an old lady.

I remember struggling with if statements like so: I had to have two conditionals (if (a == 1 || a == 2)) and I couldn't figure it out with the online help, I was writing (if (a == 1 || 2)) (in qbasic syntax of course, which I completely forget...) xD
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 12:40:48 AM »

My first game was for the Commodor 64 in 1986. A friend and I created a sidescroller which was insanely difficult. We built it during the winter months and released it through a danish company called KeleLine. I think we made som 10,000,- DKK for it, which was a lot of money for us. Not sure the company ever got a return of investment though...

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 12:47:30 AM »

You are cool. This morally rotten web site exists in a dimension separate to European computers and it has affected its denizens on a spiritual level.
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 12:51:18 AM »

You are cool. This morally rotten web site exists in a dimension separate to European computers and it has affected its denizens on a spiritual level.

LOL! Thanks Smiley Our follow up was "Unitrax" for the C64. It was later ported to the Spectrum and Amstrad by a UK company called Domark. Earned a shitload of money for that game  Cheesy

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 02:00:12 AM »

A C64 developer, cool! Max respect PetSkull  Gentleman

Games:

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 02:09:39 AM »

Please post the other games you worked on, now I'm curious
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 02:20:00 AM »

A C64 developer, cool! Max respect PetSkull  Gentleman

Thanks! It was a great time back then. Everybody wanted new C64 games, so we could release just about anything and make a buck Smiley

Here's some unfinished javascript games, I've worked on http://ngames.dk/?page_id=43

Hardgamuh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 03:58:30 AM »

My first game you say, sheesh. My first game was super Mario brothers.. took me ages to beat, now I can finish it with my eyes closed.
Dre Reid
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »

Yes I do, I'm still working on it.
Trenos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »

This question tripped me out, at first i thought about working on game development haha  Screamy

Definitely, first game i've played was on sega mega drive 2  lol, it was called Bare Knuckle.

Hey wait... if tamagochi counts, it was my first as i was like 4 years old XD
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 06:06:52 AM »

This question tripped me out, at first i thought about working on game development haha  Screamy

It actually is ;-)

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 06:09:46 AM »

It actually is ;-)

Yeah, thread got hijacked. lol

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 04:31:49 AM »

Everybody wanted new C64 games, so we could release just about anything and make a buck Smiley
Can confirm, haha.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Aex175
Level 0

Game ever

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »

Now that I start thinking I really do not remember what my first game was. It's not like I've done so many games but I do not remember exactly which was the first one.
Sideer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »

"Do you remember working on your first game?"
It is like asking parents if they remember their children :D Even if they have 10 kids over 20 years of life span, they would still remember everything about them.

First games are like first children, and they are stuck inside your memory for long. When i first started out, these games were not quite full, but they were the most important experience, a jump start to something better
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »

On a related note:
First game used to be "guess the number". Now it is an asset flip.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2018, 03:10:05 AM »

First games simple text adventures and some simple reaction-test type games with ascii graphics. GWBASIC. First completed gsme I am a little proud of was a tower defense style game running in MSDOS with CGA graphics made in Turbo Pascal. Never released though.

Pre-internet just using whatever was on dad's work pc, learning by reading the included example code and experimenting. Writing my own painfully bad graphics applications to draw because I had no clue how to parse any existing file formats (actually for a long time it did not occur to me that reading other formats was a thing...).
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic