Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:20:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralA quick splurge about video games, positively
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A quick splurge about video games, positively  (Read 1653 times)
Pfotegeist
« on: August 05, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »

A quick splurge about video game positives.

Well first off, you don't need someone dictating rules to you or the motor control to set it all up and avoid breaking it... that's a grade above board games.

Intro

I'm a solo gamer for the most part. I solo'd MMO games before they all had wiki pages.  Usually in those years I'd quit soon after talking to a few people, a sign I was hitting the limit of its accessible content and getting a feel of how grifty the very strict game rules would even become. If you're more of a party gamer, don't look at me as a hero.

Here's the story,

reading's important: it'll be difficult to get the full impact of video games without some heightened awareness of symbols, so you're pretty hard pressed to learn just by getting started. Americans are now being told that no matter what they do, they should be able to read and follow directions to the letter... sigh.  They got the important part right, I'll give it that much.  I didn't even learn the word algorithm until I was seventeen while two hours of daily rote math was a thing schools did.

Players should know how to read asap, they'll know they need to learn it. There's educational software, but it's only ever meant to be a launching point, maybe brick and mortar schools can be a launching point? No Trap??

With reading done, in games, there are dialogues and it consists of loads of text, and games come with speech audio these days. A connection between diverse, strange scenarios and that dialogue is pure mnemonic context which makes the words in it all the more important, now go look up mnemonic because without that concept you'll need to  have eidetic memory your whole life. Get used to your parents not knowing what you're talking about.

New players who are introduced to many games see unusual concepts like if they watch a movie and could actually get a response by telling the actors something. Combining unusual concepts and mnemonics makes them more understood when it occurs later, it becomes easier to take logical leaps that won't be achievable when something's otherwise alien. And the entertainment value make it worth talking about. You can try to solve a complex problem yourself or ask someone for help. Higher level thinking will gradually develop from difficult games, or something like specialization in a developing brain, pure win.

"If you're more of a party gamer, don't look at me as a hero."

The focus on video games for the player is known to be extremely high, retention of knowledge is much higher than rote (rote: repetition and boredom for the purpose of memorization). Perhaps I've explained why.  In fact new players don't even care if they lose, losing doesn't hurt. They're just happy to be entertained, for entertainment's sake. If you're reading this maybe you already agree.  There is one issue though and that's when games are too good, and they just happen to be in video format. Stop being too good, games.  Those games know what they are.
haanuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 04:20:16 AM »

You had a lot of things on your mind, it's good a lot of things are out hehe!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:33:46 PM »

some games but not many are really good. lots of others are just ok. in concludion video games is a land of contrasts
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:21:45 AM »

gta 5 is nothing but dumbed down shit for the xbot generation
Pfotegeist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:10:34 AM »

I watched hundreds of hours of speedruns to see the games played in the way they weren't intended to be.  Technically it's all a self-imposed choice, for some reason a meritocratic hierarchy about speed is formed that no other type of self-imposed choice playing video games has.

There's also a hierarchy based on hands and calculation speed that feeds into sports.  It's possible there's a similarity.

Behind the scenes many people are experimenting, and not just competing, so the efforts of many eventually gets unified into a single player's speed.

The speed they can hit buttons is impressive.  It raises some questions, like: if a game taught a unique, difficult lesson, is it worth playing? Or if a game has completely unique mechanics, someone will use them expertly, but only to determine if it's easier or faster? Like, what if war games made diplomacy far more action packed? Because the brute force scenarios in many games can be very long as a punishment, but they don't have to be boring either.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »

gta 5 is nothing but dumbed down shit for the xbot generation
It is a parody about American life.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »

I always thought Saints Row 3 was funnier

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »

saints row 3 is nothing but dumbed down shit for the xbot generation
Dre Reid
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 09:09:29 PM »

Can someone provide a tl;dr summarization, am too lazy  Grin
Pfotegeist
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:40:13 AM »

Something about pragmatism.  When the same video game can be finished exactly the same way, repeatedly, it elicits pragmatic behaviors.  After a long time players learn to break a video game with its own rules, and exhibit talent, and it can be uncanny, that's not pragmatic.
Unknown33
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 06:33:13 AM »

Tl;dr: I am not a hero. I am somewhat antisocial. America is dumb. Mnemonics are important for remembering things. The mark of a TRUE intellectual is being misunderstood by others who one might normally expect to be sympathetic. Recognizing symbols is more important than reading words. Games are too straightforward and they don't require enough of players. The fact that you can blow through most games in a few hours just by following the instructions shows the dismal state of it all. Melancholy sigh. Noir
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 04:54:14 AM »

saints row 3 is nothing but dumbed down shit for the xbot generation

AND it has a two player co-op, so your little sister can play too!

Lostlemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 05:37:16 AM »

Wow, you had alot on your that you wanted to share with us. Thanks for the positive post, the world needs more positive and nice people.  Big Laff
Pfotegeist
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 05:50:15 AM »

the ninja military in gta 2 was the high point of government inspired agency among the series
Roughntuff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 07:50:41 PM »

Nice little write up OPPO, I have to say I actually enjoyed reading it. And usually when it comes to long posts, anything over 2 paragraphs, I usually will skip it due to my ADD. But yours,caught my attention and held its thanks for taking the time to share that with us
Pfotegeist
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 06:30:54 AM »

I was rewatching a video just now. So I thought, "Digital videos are pretty good at this.  I've seen this video before but I wanted to be reminded of some important details so I watch it and there's almost no delay.  I wonder if there will be a video game like this."  Well technically if you gamify a linear video session it's a video game... although that's not the true strength of video games.

I've seen younger players talk about things like how much time they spent. How their parents call it a waste of time.  Then they become aggressively infatuated with the rubber banding system of super smash bros. and talk about the years they spent memorizing level minutia in the popular MOBA's.

That's just not a common thing for people to be doing, and they sound like they want to warn everyone. The genius that'll be forced, and the time they could have spent sleeping, driving, eating, and complaining about other neurotic tendencies was wasted on acquiring a talent that genius box.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic