Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:54:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Omen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired  (Read 42736 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2020, 04:05:15 AM »

Border tests with mostly unfinished old mockups, the last one is new though.

Early coastal palace.

I'm working with the border tiles to see if I can make new tiles from it, to use for more detail in the border and for areas in the game.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2020, 05:51:30 AM »

So pretty! I especially like the bright yellow temple-looking one. It looks like some are more side view and some are more top down, what’s going on there?

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2020, 05:06:22 PM »

Thank you! All still top down, just sometimes a bit of an angled perspective. Preferably the elephant would be a bit more top down than front viewed but I thought it turned out pretty cool as is.

Here's a new one!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2020, 04:18:39 AM »

Ahh, I see!

This one is really nice too Kiss I really like the almost dithered grey parts here and there, looks a bit like smoke rising?

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2020, 04:55:53 AM »

Thanks! They're bits of the plants from this shot actually,

Here's some more tests.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2020, 07:38:32 AM »

Oh! The thought of smoke did make me wonder if you've got any animated tiles too tho, haha. I really like the palette in the first one of these three new ones, the green on the plants makes it very clear what's going on and it contrasts nicely with the colour of the stone.

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »

lookin great as always! im really curious about this world you've been making how its come to look this way from a story perspective. seems like the world was hit by some big disaster. is there much by the way of story, or are you mostly focusing on art?

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2020, 12:16:38 AM »

Prinsessa: Thanks! Yeah the darker green really came out nice, I need to try to remember little fixes like that that could help other shots that lack clarity. I have thought about doing a smoke animation for some of the pots in the shrines but I just haven't gotten around to it, I think I somewhat avoid considering animations on tiles in general in the same way I've been putting off new enemy designs, npcs, etc.

bbtombo: Thanks! The story will come after art, as I make new areas it helps me get a better idea of what I'd want to see in the game or what goals the player or characters have. But a big disaster is definitely part of it, a great flood or comet, coming reset, hidden old world history. And things I'd like to see like story that explains the snake/serpent statues, something about petrified remains of a great beast?

I had the idea of three graves/tombs of kings you'd have to find that contain things you might need like a book, an urn, maybe one that's empty but then leads you someplace unexpected instead. Cults, poltergeists, fossils, mythology stuff.

I don't mention these kinds of idea mostly because they can sound pretty common or all over the place until I find an interesting way to use and describe them, trying to find a balance between something that feels familiar/traditional but also unique in ways, inspirations like Majora's Mask, Neverending story, Indiana Jones, but also maybe something like the old tv show the prisoner with the big white balls and the strange statue filled village? Those for me were all stories driven by the specific visuals and locations which is how I'm trying to think of this game.

Here's an alternate,

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »

A few more alternates,

And some dirt/dead grass palettes,

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2020, 06:20:38 PM »

Got a start on some rough level design! Here's different spots from it at different times of the day.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2020, 05:12:31 AM »

The lack of transparency on tiles like the plants is such a particular æsthetic, I think I really like it. Bottom-left is my favourite in this particular batch, I think. Grin

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2020, 10:43:51 PM »

Thanks! I'm really happy with how these turned out.

Here's the full day/night cycle of this area including morning palettes I made today!

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2020, 12:07:36 AM »

Oh WOW. Looks awesome. I still have some old art assets lying around:

Maybe those can come of use. I also have an entire catalouge of slightly more high res stuff (more 16 bit ish) If you'd be able to use some of those DM me Wink

Feel free to use them Smiley

bayersglassey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2020, 11:31:52 PM »

Ow, I want this. Where can I play it? O_o
(Makes grasping motions with fingers)
dreamcorn
Level 0

slime time

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2020, 12:15:45 AM »

This is beautiful
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »

Hey thanks everyone! And happy new year!

I've been away for a while due to my health, still healing... trying to be patient but I'm making really good progress lately and pretty hopeful that it may finally come to an end soon and I can work on the game comfortably.

@emscape - Thanks! Cool stuff! I've seen some of your 16-bit ish stuff would probably fit better but either way I've got more than enough unused tiles that have piled up over time but I appreciate the offer!

Here's what I have so far of the expanded area.

Also testing other palettes.

And some cave/shrine entrances I made the other day!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2021, 10:49:22 PM »

The maps look great, I especially love the cliffs. All the best to you concerning your health!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2021, 02:24:30 AM »

Beautiful as always, and glad to hear your health is improving!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2021, 05:36:21 PM »

Thank you both! Here's some more new stuff.

Hag
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2021, 04:32:00 AM »

Just passing by to say I really love the graphic style of your games. They have some uncommon aestheticism, wonderful color palette and some dream-like feeling I find most pleasing to look at. Almost mesmerizing.
Well, thank you these screenshots, best of luck with your game Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic