Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Omen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired  (Read 42709 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2021, 12:40:40 AM »

Just passing by to say I really love the graphic style of your games. They have some uncommon aestheticism, wonderful color palette and some dream-like feeling I find most pleasing to look at. Almost mesmerizing.
Well, thank you these screenshots, best of luck with your game Smiley

Thank you!

Finding a bit more time to test some stuff again. Trying some alternate palettes from the rocky moss cave on the old garden mockup to see if I'd want to connect the areas directly. I'm eager to see if I can connect low contrast areas with the higher contrast ones during gameplay.

I'm planning on expanding the mossy cave area like I did with the dirt area next.

PapaCuerpo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2021, 04:48:56 AM »

Damn everything looks so good! You're doing all this by yourself?? Very impressive
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »

Looks fantastic! I love the color palettes. You've managed to design something that's classic, yet fresh at the same time.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2021, 07:22:12 AM »

Thank you both very much! It's just been me.

I spent some time trying to expand on the mossy cave but it didn't come out the way I wanted so I moved on to other stuff for now.

Did some tests of how the inside of the white elephant tower could look.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2021, 01:23:55 AM »

Here it is with new enemies.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2021, 01:46:12 AM »

Prototyping!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2021, 12:27:59 AM »

Nice! As you know, your art style is great. It excites me that we will get to see more of the mechanics you are working on.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2021, 03:55:00 AM »

Ooohhh, gameplay! So cool to see it in motion! Kiss

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2021, 11:38:36 PM »

Thank you both! It's exciting to finally get it going!

when I tried to actually step down the palette a bit darker at night it came out too unreadable but I'll give it another try at some point. The day/night cycle will vary somewhat in mood from one area to another.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2021, 11:35:41 PM »

It is cool that you are having a day night cycle.

Can you tell us a little bit about that critter that we can see in both gifs? I love the design and walk cycle and how expressive it is with so few pixels.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2021, 02:43:13 AM »

Thanks! It's a small rock with feet, I'd like to have it throw itself at the player if I can get that to work. I wanted the first two enemy types to resemble the first enemies you see from Super Hydlide but I wanted to avoid making a small round slime enemy so I made it into a small round rock.

I've been expanding upon this grassy garden area lately.

The character outline is currently green because it's still made to match the brown dirt area and I haven't changed it yet. It will cycle to match the location although I'd like to find a shade of black that can work with most areas, same with the shade of black in the border.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2021, 10:37:28 PM »

Thanks! It's a small rock with feet, I'd like to have it throw itself at the player if I can get that to work. I wanted the first two enemy types to resemble the first enemies you see from Super Hydlide but I wanted to avoid making a small round slime enemy so I made it into a small round rock.

That's cool! So I guess the purple dots on its back are rocky spikes? They looked a bit like the spikes on Godzillas back to me. It is crazy how your art style makes my brain read so much into single pixels.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2021, 06:57:40 AM »

Yeah the highlights became a strange pink when I shifted colors but I liked how it came out.

I just went back through many older mockups and added them into the prototype! Also tested some other sun cycles.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »

Entering the tower!

MetalVent
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2021, 08:29:40 PM »

Oh yes i instantly recognized Hydlide! Will be following this project.
Loving the artstyle choice.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2021, 05:57:55 AM »

Oohh, this is getting intriguing. THE TOWER. Who, Me? Those rays of light are so nice!

bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »

Just stumbled on this devlog, so apologies if I missed most of the posts you've already published. I just wanted to say, this game looks amazing. I've subscribed to the thread and I'll def check up on the other logs that you did!

Can't wait to see where this project goes!

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2021, 09:36:44 AM »

Yeah the light beams are a super nice touch!
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2021, 12:10:37 PM »

Thanks so much everyone!

Here's a small house which might be a good start for the game. I'm going to probably do some border palette transitions next, starting with that blue and silver one I've used for the subway and the icey locations.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2021, 12:39:33 PM »

I like the transition and things really start getting together!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic