Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:20:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Omen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired  (Read 43113 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2021, 09:56:25 AM »

Gorgeous as usual!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2021, 01:31:42 AM »

Thank you!

Here's some cave/temple ruins from today.

l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »

woah, that's cool :O how did i not found that devlog earlier
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2021, 12:13:27 AM »

Hard to keep up with how productive you are! Again very pretty. Kiss Are these palettes different times of day or just options?

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2021, 01:56:42 PM »

Thank you both! Those 3 are time of day. I have a few early alternates too, I might use ideas from these for other gate/shrines.

I'm getting closer to figuring out how the areas could all connect now!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2021, 12:53:33 AM »

Cool! I know you already answered how the cycle will affect gameplay, but I'm curious as to how it, well, cycles. Does it actively change in the background or does it only change after certain events or as you move between areas, or only in certain areas?

nikolozung
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2021, 01:12:43 AM »

Every screen looks beautiful, I might just print one of them out and hang it on a wall.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2021, 08:54:22 PM »

Time will pass constantly mostly. I might do the certain times, certain events, thing for areas. Still need to get the clock in the hud working, it will move just like the one in majora's mask.

Likely closed shops at night, maybe different monsters, a door that only opens at a certain time, storm weather at specific times, the monochrome looking area would benefit from being a before or after storm only area.

The story will include strange events in the sky related to comets and floods, wanting to do survivors of recent events but also have the threat of coming events, amnesia of events too, Basically just story elements at this point.

@rawliver - That would be cool! If you happen to do that could you send me a picture of it maybe? The border still has that 2nd "health" placeholder though, I should really try to change that at some point.

----

I've finally got one of the more faded areas loaded into the prototype! I bumped up the contrast by 10% and used a dark grayish border. These areas always looked off with a lighter border and trying to figure out how to add in these areas to connect to less faded areas always wore on my motivation. The outdoor early mockups might finally work now too so I'll probably try those next, for now here's this! The actual time shift will be more gradual here.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2021, 08:46:46 PM »

Another of the older, lighter, unfinished mockups with 10% more contrast. I have two other town shots I've shared along with two I need to work on that I'm trying to piece together.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2021, 11:07:12 PM »

Yeay, another monster! Great job as always, love that thing!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2021, 01:13:53 AM »

I wonder if there's a risk of dynamic/interactable things blending into the background when the background itself is so busy and they don't have some extra light outline or something o:

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2021, 05:11:45 AM »

Thanks!

And yes I agree, the flower enemy was thrown in because I lack npcs. The buildings on the left are a bit unfinished, the lower one will get a more solid brick wall color. And the grass could be cleaned up a bit more.

These lighter grass areas in general I've been putting off for a while. Early stuff I've always had issues with when it comes to visibility.

I added the 10% contrast but I might bump it back down, keep the border the same tone, and clean these areas up a bit more. All fairly simple fixes but my productivity always slows down when I try to revisit these so I'll probably jump to something else next.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2021, 09:06:07 AM »

This is extremely different, and while you're going up against readability, I feel like it definitely can pay off. Keep it up! The art is sick - not really like very many other games I've seen before, and I am eager to play!

Maybe animating things you can interact with would help solve the readability in a way that isn't too hard (like you did with the tree enemy).

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2021, 02:05:10 AM »

Yeah, the animations definitely help!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2021, 05:06:02 PM »

Thanks SolarLune! I saw your comment in the screenshot thread too, much appreciated!

I definitely want to add animations in the environment, along with adding in more enemies and npcs.

I always need to slow down every now and then and just see what comes to mind when it comes to what to work on next, To stay motivated that is.

Anyways for now I just needed to jump back into art for other areas again. I wanted to test some other combinations for tiles I've been recently working with.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2021, 08:24:27 AM »

Looks great as always! Think #2 is my fav this time.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2021, 04:05:05 PM »

Thank you! Here's some rough mockups for a meadow/mountain cliff location.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2021, 03:43:35 AM »

Is that just funky dithering in the background? I can't help but read it as more modern buildings, skyscrapers. Is that in line with the setting, exploring old buildings but in modern times? Or am I just looking at it the wrong way? Cheesy

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2021, 10:21:16 PM »

Thanks! Yeah just weird sky dithering that looked that way from another mockup, I'll clean things up a bit more once I expand upon it.

Here's some more recent stuff, health getting in the way a bit again lately so these also need to be cleaned up. I want to keep the extra shades of color in the first two but break up the uniformity that makes it look blurred in the leaves and the blue blocks.

Lots of stray pixels amongst the clouds I need to remove too.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2021, 03:24:29 AM »

Hope you get better soon!

Cloud landscape is really pretty. What's that checkerboard pattern in the bottom right corner of some of them?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic