Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:11:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Omen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired  (Read 41713 times)
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 01:32:16 PM »

hey

this looks dope

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 02:24:00 AM »

Thanks!

Here's the previous shot again enlarged, I really like how this area turned out.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 06:56:51 AM »

Some more works in progress, mossy cave ruins

and the aerospace shrine

some variations

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »

still the best

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 01:37:22 AM »

Thanks!

Svanberg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »

I think you have managed to capture what you set out to capture with these tiles. Very eye-catching and interesting, makes me want to explore the world!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 01:40:28 PM »

Thanks, glad to hear that!

smallthings
TIGBaby

Small things matter, more than you know...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 09:20:10 PM »

I felt like I was 10 years old again, playing with my old console at my old TV screen, not worrying about anything and enjoying my team. The game brings old memories back, those were days...

Well done!
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 11:23:06 PM »

Thank you!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2019, 03:36:19 PM »

Here's another mossy cave variation. I have other new locations and tiles I've been experimenting with that are slowly taking form.

Also I should mention that I may still tweak the darkest shade of color in some of these to add more contrast, some can look a bit washed out at times and it can be hard for me to tell on this monitor, if it were just the darkest shade I would have adjusted it by now but the saturation of other colors changes as well depending on what angle I look at this screen. It's very frustrating...

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 04:57:19 PM »

One thing about Link's Awakening and other old Zelda/Metroidvania games that I would say are definitely design flaws to work around: It's so confusing when you lose your progress either by losing a save file or not getting to a save point in time. Whenever that happens to me I enter into this extremely anxious state where I can't remember what I did before I saved and what I have to do all over. It's like a quantum state and sometimes it gets me really stuck on puzzles. Especially because players usually will never try to do something twice if they think they already did it.

i resonate a lot with this. i never finished Link's Awakening because of it.

also, i love super hydlide 3! super good music, and i felt like it was tryna do some cool things with morality and survival before those systems became really popular. just curious about the scope of this project - do u plan to expand on anything hydlide + zelda did with their mechanics? as other people have mentioned it'll be fun to just explore this world u've made, but i'm curious if u have plans to do other things with it.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 05:06:29 AM »

Ideally I wanted a hud with a clock and other meters but I may just go with the basics depending on how complicated the extra stuff might be to work on. Focusing on art is what keeps me motivated so I'm just putting most of the other stuff off for now.

As for ideas with the day/night cycle, probably things like closed stores and lock doors, maybe different monsters at different times of day or things like the flower enemies closing up at night. Maybe a temple door only opening on a specific night, mostly just stuff that adds to the mysterious feel or atmosphere of things rather than complicating gameplay too much. I have been really inspired by Majora's Mask lately so side quest type stuff involving talking to people at certain times could be fun.

As for survival or morality aspects, probably the need for sleep, maybe not for hunger or weight though. I might include hints of things as choices or events tied to story rather than mechanics that are consistent throughout. Still hard to know what will make it in since I feel like the overall scope is open for expanding later on.

Here's some recent stuff I'm really happy with, mountain peak ruin variations!

Samdtmusic
Level 0

Composer and Sound designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 02:45:46 AM »

I'm a big fan of variation number 3. The game in general looks amazing! Really consistent tone and art style. Great work and looking forward to seeing more!
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 07:30:27 PM »

Thank you! I'm thinking number 3 will likely be the main mountain peak entrance while the other ideas will probably be on other parts of the mountain.

Here's a frozen pier work in progress. I have a less frozen version I need to clean up a bit too along with a lot of other cool locations I'll share soon.

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2019, 07:23:43 PM »

i agree i like 3 the most. the frozen pier looks great! can't say enough how much i love this art style

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 04:59:03 AM »

Thank you!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2019, 03:18:52 AM »

Garden works in progress.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2019, 08:14:23 PM »

Finally got a start on some town stuff,

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »

Some cloudy room variations.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »

Haven't updated in a while but I'm still making progress! Here's some of the most recent stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic