Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:48:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Omen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired  (Read 42738 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2021, 09:42:41 PM »

Testing this area a bit.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2021, 06:11:10 AM »

Mockups for an astral like scene.

These are beautiful. What's the circle around the player in the last posts? Something magic?

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2021, 09:28:39 PM »

Thank you! Oh that's supposed to be water ripples from the player being half submerged. I'll likely touch them up a bit to make that more clear, and maybe add some other waves of some kind.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2021, 02:42:59 AM »

Oh! The game is so colourful and has so many palettes that I didn't automatically assume blue was water.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2021, 01:12:47 AM »

Oh I see ok! It can be hard to know what to add or take away at times with this art style, many times it can be the balance between the less readable details and how they work with the more readable stuff leaving things feeling unfinished or unclear.

Overall though I know it still needs NPC's, animated details, more story elements and text, enemy interactions, items/weapons, puzzles etc to feel more full, all the rest of the video game type stuff! But I'm slowly getting there! The text with the astral scene mockup being a starting point for more of that type of stuff, just need to finish the font and test other text box ideas.

Here's some unfinished enemy tests,

I'll better be able to tell what needs what and where when I start connecting areas and testing the flow in an in game context.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2021, 11:19:17 PM »

Another old building interior. Still want to mix in some other colors.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2021, 01:56:23 AM »

Did some tests with a CRT filter by @Mattias_G https://mattiasgustavsson.itch.io/crtview

Here's some "Ecco 3" potential fan game mockups with altered Ecco the Dolphin sprites. Off topic but just wanted to share these too along with the other crt tests.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2021, 02:16:21 PM »

Kiss Kiss

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: June 30, 2021, 12:12:45 AM »

This CRT filter really complements your style in my eyes!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2021, 01:27:16 AM »

Thanks, glad you both like it!

There's support for animated gifs too but it ran a bit slow on my laptop, maybe I had too many tabs open. If I can get something like this working in game I will but for now it just works on images and gifs.

The heatwave has been pretty bad on my health but we're past the 115 degree days so I'm just trying to catch up on rest and then I'd like to get back to the prototype itself!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2021, 03:00:11 AM »

Here's another cave mockup.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2021, 08:44:53 AM »

Whew, sorry about that heat… That's a lot. In-game movement looks good!

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2021, 04:43:33 PM »

ugh, those CRT shots look so so good. good fit for the game's style too
bayersglassey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »

I love how the graphics are blocky, yet it's super hard to actually see where the grid is.
Those are obviously tiles, but they're individually so abstract, you can only see the trees/rivers/rocks/columns/doors/etc by looking at groups of tiles together.

Just awesome.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Yeah I usually just take chunks of graphics and collage it together, bits overlapping and tiles of different sizes. Preferably I'd make it a bit more of an organized tile set but that would slow down the process for me.

I'd love to port the game to an NES or a Gameboy color some day. At that point I'd have to make it into a limited tile set, which could be a challenge but I'd really like to see how that would look!

---

So lately I've been getting some grassy mockups together to test some palette swaps, mostly to help me figure out what could connect where location wise.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2021, 10:52:17 AM »

Beautiful! It's interesting how they seem to look more defined when they're smaller, perhaps because any outlines that are a bit dithered at full res bleed together into solid lines when downscaled? I like how saturated the first one of the small ones seems!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2021, 08:14:05 PM »

Thanks! Yeah I really like the way they look in their original sizes, when I first did 2x I hated it but then I realized I had to just sit back a bit further away from the screen and let my eyes readjust to take it all in. But It's still hard to ignore how pixelated it can look at 2x and up, a big reason why CRT can help so much. Some games on emulators I'd play at 1x size for the same reasons.

I could never decide on uniform saturation levels, some areas I felt should be bolder and I'm hoping it will make the overall experience more refreshing and varied. That flexibility at least keeps things fresh for me as I work on the games art. Still trying to figure out how to make it all flow together with how areas connect and which border colors to use where.

Here's some unfinished ideas.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2021, 09:08:05 AM »

More unfinished ideas.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2021, 07:21:36 PM »

Some recent stuff. These stairs will connect the beach to another area.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: August 09, 2021, 08:42:52 PM »

More unfinished ideas.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic