Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:01:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Omen of Duality - Super Hydlide/Ys/Zelda inspired  (Read 43055 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »

Here's a few plant room variations. I'll probably move on from these for now but I'd still at some point like to add in stuff like floor tiles, a spiral staircase or book cases etc. and make other types of indoor areas.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »

Collected together some of my unfinished icey ideas.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2020, 10:00:00 PM »

Underwater experiments.

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2020, 10:48:55 PM »

Looking great! I'm impressed by how distinctive you're making often quite abstract tiles and areas.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2020, 09:15:23 PM »

Thanks QOG! I'm still getting a lot out of the texture experiments I made a while ago, with overlapping and hue shifting bits of graphics.

I went back and tried mixing together some textures, I wasn't planning on making an underwater location but the mixed pieces started to really resemble deep sea stuff so I went with that.

I'd love to post these on Twitter but I haven't been able to log back in in the last few days! Veeery frustrating...

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »

Stormy mockups.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2020, 06:20:55 AM »

Many more storm color variations, these were fun to experiment with!

The first one's color here is very Mario 64 Bowsers sky like.

The cloud boss is nearly identical to the one in Ghouls 'n Ghosts, there's also a boss in Super Hydlide that's basically the same looking too called Hell Smoke, and Kirby has it's own cloud eye as well. So it was hard to resist trying to add one in when the idea came to mind, a very nostalgic design! Also the glitchy cloud background was inspired by the machine stages in ecco 2 on the master system.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2020, 02:14:29 AM »

I never know what to say in response to these besides ‘beautiful’! It’s such a nice style, and all the colour variations are great too.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2020, 03:04:32 AM »

Thanks!

When I move on from just posting visuals there will probably be more to talk about but for now, more art!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »

Ghost village mockups.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2020, 02:39:07 AM »

I never know what to say about your game, but it's time to post in this thread and get following!
I guess something I'm curious about: you post a ton of palette variations of most of the areas. Does the game have a constantly-shifting palette? or are you trying to figure out which palette you like best?

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2020, 12:43:38 AM »

Hey glad you're following! Most of the time I never know what to say in my posts other than just posting new art.

There's the in game day/night cycle and a few border variations but most extra variations that go beyond like 2 or 3 for a single area are just for fun, or there to help me keep my mind open to other options. The game varies on contrast throughout though.

Are most game engines these days very flexible when it comes to shifting palettes? That's been one of my concerns for whether to choose like game maker or if I should choose something else.

Oh and I finally got logged back into Twitter! I was logged out for the last 2 weeks. My previous phone was deactivated so I couldn't receive the text to confirm it was me but luckily Twitter finally got back to me through email and helped get me back in!

Also here's something new!

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2020, 06:18:46 AM »

... Are most game engines these days very flexible when it comes to shifting palettes? That's been one of my concerns for whether to choose like game maker or if I should choose something else ...

it depends on how comfortable you are with creating shaders, or at least implementing and modifying shaders, in game maker. There is a lot of really great information on pallette swapping shaders and presumably they could be converted into pallette shifting shaders without too much complication. The same is true for unity, godot, etc.

Also, your art is very beautiful : )

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2020, 04:08:00 PM »

Thanks! Yeah I don't know much about any of that but I assume it shouldn't be too complicated once I get there. I feel very close to wanting to start prototyping though!

Here are some early variations of the ghost village.

And here's some progress on room interiors I worked with today!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2020, 02:26:32 AM »

Some early experiments with shrine interiors.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2020, 02:34:53 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2020, 07:15:06 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss

Glad you like it!

---

The contrast and darkness of the shadows in some of these can still look too faded at times, something that constantly bothers me actually, it can be confusing to me at times but I think I've boiled it down to a few different reasons that I used to get mixed up.

A: Me sometimes looking at my laptop at too high of an angle. Anything that isn't pure black changes to a light grey very suddenly at even the slightest angle adjustment and the color balance and overall contrast fades quickly.

B: If I've been looking at too many high contrast images, some of these can instantly look off by comparison since my eyes had gotten used to the dark.

C: If there's a lot of the greyish black as empty areas on the screen it can be more noticeable, while if there's only some of it it can really work well to soften images with a lot of detail. How big the image is can mess with this ratio as well, or how closely I'm looking at the screen.

Just some lingering concerns when it comes to unifying the art, the laptop viewing angle thing is the biggest frustration since even the saturation of colors can change. I feel like I'd have to print my art or see it on another screen to ever confirm anything!

---

Here's the town in different times of the day, or what I have so far for it. The night palette does darken the greys a bit while the other 3 have the lighter greys.

I'd like to try lighting up some of the windows at night and also possibly test a darker/ later at night palette.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2020, 10:12:43 AM »

Beautiful art, and the collor combo is on spot.
Do you have by any chance any video records on how you create them?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2020, 04:38:07 AM »

Contrast looks great in these last few!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2020, 01:59:20 AM »

I have some stuff in this thread about how I do some of it somewhere I think? It's a lot of recycling textures and tiles and creating new textures by overlapping bits, etc. If I can find a good example of it I'll post it again. Also thanks!

-

And thanks Prinsessa!

-

Here's a few things from the other day.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic