Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:33:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[EARLY ACCESS][PC] The Oblivion - survival-horror game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [EARLY ACCESS][PC] The Oblivion - survival-horror game  (Read 823 times)
Marcin4001
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2018, 03:58:45 AM »

Hello everyone!
I would like to present to you my game, which I've been creating for almost two years.
The game is from the survival-horror category. It is a product of an academic project created at the WSB Academy in Dąbrowa Górnicza. The main goal of the game is to get out of the psychiatric hospital where there are zombies that will be on our way to freedom. You will be able to defend yourself against your enemies with a pistol that you can get at the beginning of the game. The current version of the game (Alpha 3.1) contains 4 levels, announced artificial intelligence of enemies, playable character, autosave after each level and option menu.
Gamejolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/TheOblivion/359962

Please download and ratings in GameJolt!

Sea Jay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 02:52:20 AM »

Yeah I uh... didn't enjoy this one very much. The movement is the biggest bugbear for me, while it does technically allow you to move forward and backward based on where you're looking, moving side to side is a different matter. It seems that every time I pushed A and D to strafe whilst moving forward, it was like the game had to stop and think about it for a second before it actually allowed me to do so, making moving diagonally near impossible. I will give it credit that it did get me to jump once or twice, but I quickly got frustrated when the game started throwing enemies at me with no way to evade them or fight back.

For example, the first enemy in the game is a brown, scarred zombie in a corridor with a barricade ahead and a set of double doors to my left. Knowing that there's nowhere to hide from where I just came, my first instinct is to take the doors through to some kind of cafeteria, then out into another corridor where I'm immediately flanked by another zombie who kills me instantly. Even if I know where that second zombie is, the corridors are so thin that it's difficult to step past them without taking damage. It's poorly paced.

Screenshots show a gun, and I did manage to find a box of ammo, but the weapon itself was nowhere to be found. What I did find however were documents. A surprising number of them, in fact, and in spite of the poor English translation (containing such errors as "I'm sacred" when you probably meant "I'm scared") none of them say anything of interest besides reaffirming the setting.

There's also a lot of art that I could've sworn I've seen before. Most from the Unity asset store and some outright stolen. Did you really think that people wouldn't notice the Resident Evil promotional art on the title screen?

Look, I get it. When you're a budding young developer with amateur skills and few connections, finding visuals to pad out your game is difficult. I get that. You might be tempted to take from Google image search or the Unity asset store. But you've got to be discerning with your asset use. Ask yourself; is this really the best fit for this scene? Where else can I find this asset used? How can I modify this to look or act different from other games that use it, and if not, where could I place it that no-one else has thought of?

If you want my opinion, the asset store is a terrible place to find things for your game since it's built right into the editor. Since it's so easy, you can guarantee that everyone else has them and is using them as they are ad-nauseum. Go elsewhere. Go obscure. Like, really obscure. Like fourth page of the search results obscure. Shop around! You'll end up with a much better game if you take the time to think about these things. OpenGameArt, Freesound, and 1001 Fonts and more all offer things that you can put into your game, sometimes without even giving credit (though it is polite to do so).

Or even better, take the plunge and make some of your own things. It'll be intimidating to start off with, you don't have to make everything and you'll probably get burned a few times, but there are enough resources out there that it is possible. Blender is a free modelling program, Audacity helps you mix and match your own sounds, GIMP allows you to create your own images, and all of those have plenty of documentation and tutorials available to figure out how they work.

While I can't say I'm eagerly awaiting the full release of this particular game, I hope that I at least helped you to make more things in the future.
Marcin4001
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »

Thank you for the feedback! Such opinions are needed! I do not make this game myself. for the graphic on the menu my friend is responsible. I plan to change this menu generally, because he does not exactly like me. The other friend is responsible for mistakes in translation. We are from Poland. English is not our native language.

The current version has fixed many problems. The list of changes is on gamejolt
Marcin4001
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 10:24:51 AM »

I encourage you to download and play my game
Marcin4001
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 03:18:42 AM »

there is already a new game update and a change of title on The Oblivion Asylum
Pages: [1]