Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:52:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNeed help with my fighting game protagonists
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need help with my fighting game protagonists  (Read 1538 times)
fishy53
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »

Hello everyone! I'm hard at work on a fighting game I'm creating.

I just need some good inspiration to create my two lead protagonists, one male and one female, set in the near future. They are supposed to be like some sort of martial artists but nothing too cliche and they will both be half human demon breeds.

Anyone have some good ideas for their style and some inspiration look that could work? they're both supposed to be like antiheroes due to their demon blood.

I appreciate it all, thanks again.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 04:09:01 AM »

Watch the true classic:

Yeah.
MikeThalAudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »

As a big fan of fighting games, I'd absolutely look at characters from the Darkstalkers/Vampire series for inspiration. There are so many great character designs based in horror/fantasy tropes like you described. To top it off, the sprite animations are fantastic! Mira from the recent Killer Instinct is also a great example of a modern vampire, in my opinion.

For inspirations outside fighting games, I think a lot of the character designs from Heroes of the Storm (and their original games) would serve as some great inspiration as well. Finally, the anime Hellsing Ultimate has some REALLY cool designs for human/demon hybrids, especially in the second half of the series. As an audio person, I'd be happy to recommend music if you think that would help inspire you too!

Let me know if this helps! I always love to see great fighting games and awesome characters duking it out in them.  Bro Fist Right Bro Fist Left

"Sound is a vessel to express emotion"
codoc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:09:15 PM »

what about buddhist demons like Asura or look to the good old goat head depiction of the devil for inspiration?

maybe work those designs in to a more human appearance like devil jin?

Good luck on your search for characters!

.....ummm
fishy53
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »

As a big fan of fighting games, I'd absolutely look at characters from the Darkstalkers/Vampire series for inspiration. There are so many great character designs based in horror/fantasy tropes like you described. To top it off, the sprite animations are fantastic! Mira from the recent Killer Instinct is also a great example of a modern vampire, in my opinion.

For inspirations outside fighting games, I think a lot of the character designs from Heroes of the Storm (and their original games) would serve as some great inspiration as well. Finally, the anime Hellsing Ultimate has some REALLY cool designs for human/demon hybrids, especially in the second half of the series. As an audio person, I'd be happy to recommend music if you think that would help inspire you too!

Let me know if this helps! I always love to see great fighting games and awesome characters duking it out in them.  Bro Fist Right Bro Fist Left

Thanks man, I happen to love Darkstalkers and I will look into using their style for reference. Heroes of the Storm could give me some good inspiration. I have to check out Hellsing as I have not watched it yet. Mira I saw and she actually looks really cool! I thought of a vampire idea as a female but from the Amazon, is this too similar to her? I don't actually play that game or ever used her before. I'm not sure what kind of music I want yet, i'm thinking some mix of techno, horror with doe action beats maybe?. I'll let you no more soon.

fishy53
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 05:42:31 PM »

what about buddhist demons like Asura or look to the good old goat head depiction of the devil for inspiration?

maybe work those designs in to a more human appearance like devil jin?

Good luck on your search for characters!

I like this a lot. This might help me for my protagonists and I would love to hear more inspiration like this from any more ideas you can provide, thanks man!
codoc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:54:04 AM »

okay i had one more idea but i didnt know if it would be what your looking for.

basically go the other way so have the characters mostly look like a demon

but then slim that down so you get this type of feel

.....ummm
fishy53
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 07:39:18 AM »

okay i had one more idea but i didnt know if it would be what your looking for.

basically go the other way so have the characters mostly look like a demon

but then slim that down so you get this type of feel

This is awesome, I love this, thanks! This is a very good idea for some demon hybrid looks and might just work.

I was thinking though, maybe I should give him two forms? One more humanoid and one more of a demonic/devil beast form? And the humanoid form be more slim and the demon/monstrous form be more buffed?

Can you also tell me where the second picture is from? Thank you.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:01:50 AM by fishy53 » Logged
Tereize
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »

Hmm... how about something like Devil May Cry

or Tokyo Ghoul

So, they retain much of what a human looks like, but have a deformed feature.

Btw, I would like some feedback for my game ideas as well. Let me know which one sounds more interesting:

Link to my game idea:   
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=66024.0
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 04:15:23 AM »

To be a discordant voice, you should avoid demons-like characters (didn't you mention that you want to avoid cliches?). Usually in making a characters first it needs to be defined his/her background, and in particular case of this genre, fighting game, much depends on the core mechanics and fighting style of each character. For example a character such as Vega from Street Fighter would lose his particular air fighting style if moved to a game such as Tekken, and so his visual style needs to change and reflect that changes.

Games:

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »

Great character design in a video game is always an expression of 2 things: function and story. You want the details, shape, colours, and attitude to all cohere, and to express to the player both the characters' backgrounds and their abilities that will translate into the gameplay. On top of that, you generally, at least as a rule, want a protagonist to be appealing. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but most people want to play as a character they can root for. This usually means giving them attractive features and colours and a somewhat balanced body type.

The demonic element of course gives the character something of an edge. I would argue this further necessitates a contrast between an appealing, likeable base design and the demonic element that will occasionally show through. To me this is a lot more interesting than a character who is dark and edgy all the time. A perfect example of this is Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke. His basic design, while visually interesting, is also appealing, plain, and universal in many ways. This makes the corrupted, demonic aspects of his design much more striking and painful to look at when they come out. 

Lo
ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 02:27:49 AM »

Creating video game characters is something in which you must work so hard. First of all you must create the main history, cross it with the lore behind the game and think about how everything is gonna fit together. I do not play fighting games because of the history, but I choose the richest characters available. I mean, in Street Fighter, for example, I choose Riu not only for what he's capable to do, but also because there is a lot of interesting things behind the character. Things like the story with Ken. And so the way you create your own characters will define how deep is your video game.

Let's join the ARF Initiative Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic