Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:44:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What popular language is closest to Haxe?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What popular language is closest to Haxe?  (Read 1729 times)
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2018, 06:15:13 PM »

So... I want to finally code a game all by myself, and I think HaxeFlixel will work best for my purposes. Learning Haxe as a first language seems ill advised though, considering how much better the learning resources are for more popular languages. I'm lazy though, so I want to learn a language that's as similar to Haxe as possible. What's a good one to start with?

Nikolas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 05:33:59 AM »

I have not used Haxe before, but on their website they state:

The Haxe programming language is easy to learn if you are familiar already with either Java, C++, PHP, AS3 or similar object oriented languages.

Out of these I would recommend Java to you. It is widely used and a lot of learning materials are avaible online.
C++ might be a little bit hard for beginners because of the memory management.
PHP is mainly used for web applications and AS3 is outdated.

Another reasonable choice is C#.
It is similar to Java and you can use the Unity game engine.

Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »

You'll find that once you've learned a programming language, learning other ones is a lot easier. My personal fav is C# right now. You could give both Java and C# in Unity a go. Coz' Unity is awesome.

http://www.origamihero.com - freeware oldschool games |  gamedev twitter
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:30:16 PM »

Thanks, I did learn a little bit of C# in the past but I'm not keen on Unity for... reasons. I may as well stick with it for the purpose of learning to code though. Hand Thumbs Up Left

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:12:49 AM »

Haxe is a fine language to learn programming. It has some features I wish existed in more "robust" languages like considering not handling every enum value in a switch statement a compile-time error. I think it's fine to learn programmign with that language.

I haven't used unity in a very long time (unity 4) but when I did there was essentially "unity c#" and c#. To learn c# for a professional setting i would recommend using monogame since it allows modern c#.

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »

IMO just learn Haxe through HaxeFlixel. HF is a great framework, and unless you're interested in getting deeper into other CS topics you'll be well served by HF and its community.

CANTATA
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic