Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:29:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpelunky Classic: Reborn -- remaked on the custom cross-platform engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky Classic: Reborn -- remaked on the custom cross-platform engine  (Read 1763 times)
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »

hello. i wanted to have a cross-platform non-gamemaker Spelunky Classic for a long time. i tried to rewrite it several times, and i even thought about writing the partial gamemaker emulator to make it work. but it never really came to anywhere… until now! here, i want to present you the result of two monthes of my hard work: Speluncy:Reborn!

what is it? it is a port (actually, rewrite) of Spelunky Classic to my own custom cross-platform engine. the engine is FOSS, and can be compiled on any system with support for OpenGL 2.1, SDL, and OpenAL. the game itself is written in engine's scripting language (OOP, strong typing). yeah, nothing is hardcoded in the engine itself, everything can be modified/modded without recompilation (but see below!)

what i implemented so far:
the whole Spelunky Classic, including intro and ending sequences. yeah, the game is fully playable, and beatable. also, the port is based on YASM mod, with even more features. the game has in-game menu where you can customize it to your liking — 'cause i believe that a game is made for players, not vice versa. so if somebody wants to cheat, or to change something — he is free to do so: the only thing that matters is players enjoyment.

of course, this is not even a beta, so there are alot of bugs, glitches in mechanics and so on. i am slowly cleaning it up, and changing the source code to make writing mods easier. the final destination is modding without touching the original game source at all (but this is a long way to go, so don't hold your breath).

here, i present you a win32 build of the game. please note that it is «time-bombed»: after one week you will meet an inevitable death after ~30 seconds of playing. this is not because i want to troll you, this is just to stop old and buggy builds to spread. eventually i will not only remove the time-bomb, but will publish the full source of the port.

for now, try it, play it, give your feedback!

some not-so-obvuous things to know:
ESC is pause. from pause screen you can access options menu and key rebinding menu. pressing "s" in pause menu will switch between statistics screens (initially they are empty, it is not a bug; just play and die a little, and you will see 'em slowly filling with data).
F1 is map, and some help screens.
there is no tunnel man yet, so the only way to open shortcuts is to set the checkbox in options menu.
challenge rooms are accessible from the start.
'pay' key can be used to skip intro cutscene, winning cutscene, and inter-level cutscenes (but you can't skip intro cutscene for the first time).
you prolly need something better than intel GPU to run the game. sorry.
i have no windows os (the game is cross-compiled from GNU/Linux).
i have neither joystick, nor gamepad, so the game doesn't support nothing except keyboard controls. sorry.

ok, now, as you read this huge post, you can finally download the demo!

updated: sep, 05.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:45:38 PM by ketmar » Logged
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 02:34:08 PM »

updated demo. alot of bugfixes to throwing items. much better shop messages (they appear in a separate window, so you won't miss 'em).

also, note that game renderer is not locked to 30 FPS, so you should get a silk-smooth movement (yet you can turn it off in options menu to get a «classic» expirience).
Sea Jay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 01:05:29 AM »

Hi there! Not to burst your bubble or anything, but the demo you gave out looks like it is Spelunky Classic. More specifically, a fan-made mod of the game called Yet Another Spelunky Mod http://spelunky.wikia.com/wiki/Mods:Yet_Another_Spelunky_Mod. Why do I think this? It says so on the title screen:

Is this true? Because beyond the troubles of releasing your own Spelunky game without Derek Yu's permission, asking for feedback on a thing you may not have made seems wrong somehow. Am I right on this?
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 01:24:10 AM »

The license for Classic Spelunky allows this.

And:

also, the port is based on YASM mod, with even more features.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:32:02 AM »

you are paritally right. as i said, this is remake. in the truest form of it: i took the original Game Maker code, and ported it to my own scripting language, and my own engine. that is, it is technically still Good Old Spelunky — with all the mechanics and other things intact. it just doesn't require Game Maker anymore (neither directly, nor indirectly), and it is not written in GML.

my engine is FOSS, and can be natively compiled on at least GNU/Linux and windows (and on osx, i think, but i don't have osx). «game.dat» file is completely os-agnostic, though, and it contains the game code. the game code itself will be opensourced too — after i decide that i implemented everything «like in the original».

so, you are right: this is not mine game, this is good old Spelunky Classic (YASM mod, but all additional features can be turned off, if you want «vanilla expirience»). but the engine is mine, and the code is basically rewritten.

this way the game can be compiled on any modern OS (and prolly even go to «non-free» repositories of some GNU/Linux distros). and you will not need any proprietary tools to play or mod it.

i just want people to test it, and to tell me if something is not working right (i.e. not like in the original). i am in no way claiming that i designed or coded the orignal game, or YASM mod. that's why i kept all the credits intact: most of the work was done by Derek and Moloch, and i used ther code as a base. of course, i did alot of work too (poring, bugfixing, etc.), but i am in no way a sole author.

i just wanted to have a native Spelinky for my OS, without using any proprietary tools for that.

and i need help to check the mechanics and gameplay, 'cause more eyes are always better. and no, i am not planning to sell it, or make profit from it in any other form. as i said, it is «time-bombed» only to stop spreading of buggy builds. as the game code will be FOSSed eventually, the time bomb will have no sense. ;-)

p.s. ah! here are the engine sources. but it is not that easy to build, and there is no «game.dat» reader in there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:49:47 AM by ketmar » Logged
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »

update:
city of gold is working again.
exploded tiles in COG throws gold.
better message on unlocking COG door.
you cannot put a stunned enemy into a wall anymore.
melee weapons will damage webs.

p.s. this remake has improved water/lava flow mechanics: liquids will really flow to the lower level parts, filling the holes. beware: «mattocking» a wall in a lava basin will kill you, as the lava won't simply disappear, it will flow away the basin, killing enemies (and you) on its way!
Sea Jay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 12:36:55 AM »

Well in that case, consider me misinformed! Might want to shuffle up the title screen to avoid confusion, perhaps. From what I played, it seems like a really faithful recreation. The only things that really stuck out to me where the extra options in the main menu and the fact that the game's opening happens during the day (which might be part of the original mod).

I did run into a problem where closing the game's window would leave the accompanying command prompt window open until I specifically closed that, too, but otherwise it seemed fine. Do you have a git repo for this hosted somewhere?
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 12:52:09 AM »

>Well in that case, consider me misinformed!
no problems. i am not the best writer in the world, and English is not my native language, so it may adds some confusion. ;-)

>The only things that really stuck out to me where the extra options in the main menu
>and the fact that the game's opening happens during the day (which might be part of
>the original mod).

yeah, the opening looks like that in YASM. and extra options were in config .exe -- i just moved 'em into the main game. 'cause all those things are in the code anyway, i decided to give a player some choices. well, alot of choices. ;-)

>closing the game's window would leave the accompanying command prompt window
>open

there should be no command prompt window, but it seems that i failed. with WINE, i cannot really tell if console is there. thank you, i'll take a closer look.

>Do you have a git repo for this hosted somewhere?
the link to the engine (which shares alot of code with my fork of VaVoom DooM source port) is in my second post. the game code is not public yet, but i will publish it soon (and will post the link here). i believe that "soon" means "in a month", or something like that. tbh, i wanted to make the game fully moddable, and write a documentation for that, but it looks that it may take years to clean up the code, so i'll prolly just dump it as is, and will continue with public repo.

thank you for your feedback!
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 01:06:25 AM »

and update!
some minor fixes to the mechanics.
third attempt at fixing the bug where you sometimes embedded into a floor when throwing a rope.
city of gold optimisations, 'cause it produces too many gold. ;-)
spears made slightly wider.
tutorial level now ends with transition instead of teleporting you to the mines.
final cutscene cannot be skipped when it is shown for the first time.
falling platforms in the cave disappears when they finish falling. ;-) they will also fall if you'll hang on them.
fixed dimensions of black market level.

known bugs:
stuck arrow sometimes has flipped sprite.
water sometimes flows thru spear traps.
bounced arrow with small velocity still can hurt you.
giant spider hitbox is wrong sometimes, and it looks like the creature is embedded into a ground when it's moving.
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »

another update.
olmec now really kills cultists. ;-)
sudden death from rope bottom replaced by sudden jump. ;-)
black market entrance now really hidden (and udjat's eye distance calculation is slightly better).
changes to dice rolling algo.
new, better prng with bigger period.
shopkeepers will refuse to buy various trash items with a message.
added informational message and sound when spelunky man buys something in a shop.
other small fixes you won't prolly notice anyway.
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 10:15:06 PM »

shopkeepers now correctly thrown away by spears.
internal code change, per-frame level processing is slightly faster now.
music will be correctly restarted after transition level on default music settings.
bounty hunters should not be generated inside Moai or Black Market entrance (they're dying due to being spawned inside solid anyway ;-).
other code improvements you prolly won't notice.
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 12:09:00 AM »

this update is dedicated to Terry A. Davis.

added Tunnel Man. now you can pay him for shortcuts.
alot of fixes to boulder processing (including crashfix).
cosmetic visual fixes (transition levels, alien boss).
yeti king level were never created. fixed.
small code improvements.
no more .bat files, you can run spelunky.exe directly now.
changed some default settings (won't affect you if you already has .config.cfg).
full unencrypted and unobfuscated game source code. in the memory of T.A.D.
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 02:47:53 AM »

git repo with game sources.
ketmar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »

lowered GPU requirements. the game will work on GPUs without NPOT texture support (some old intel wannabe-gpus), and on GPUs without RGBA framebuffer support (some amd drivers cannot into this for some reason). without RBGA FB you will get a warning, and a very ugly lighting, but you will still able to play.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic