Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:32:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignIs it ok to send analytic data from a game to my server?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is it ok to send analytic data from a game to my server?  (Read 814 times)
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:59:18 AM »

Hi,

I've been developing my little space game for quite a while and have seen some 400+ downloads of the demo, but rarely any feedback, which I crucially need in order to optimize my code and the user experience. I've been thinking about collecting some useful data regarding the game, which I would like to send to my own server upon game exit.

* Is this OK to do? Or is it a no-go?
* Do I have to inform the player, that this will happen?
* Should I ask for permission from the player to do so?

I would only need to collect this data during the lifetime of the demo. Once the game goes live, I would not do it.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 12:37:52 PM »

In an ideal world almost everything would be ok if both parts agree, so I'm tempted to tell you to just have every user sign an agreement specifying what kind of data you want and what will be used for etc.

In a less ideal world there might be laws making this agreement illegal if you're not careful about the details. Then my recommendation is to get a lawyer or something to help you write this agreement thing.

I guess I'm not of much help.

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:00:25 PM »

a) There are laws. More strict in Europe, less in other parts of the world, except in China where some strange rules exist to protect the government. If you do not identify users personally, this should probably not affect you.

b) There are disgruntled users. I personally do *not* allow anyone to phone home. You might get a nod if you ask nicely upfront, but just doing it automatically will simply bounce at the Windows builtin firewall.

So as far as I can tell, you *can* send anonymous usage data home, but only after you asked to opt-in. If you do it by default, nonono. If you generate some user-id that persists a single run of your game, you're affected by European laws.

So be nice, and don't be greedy.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 12:33:04 AM »

I think I got around to the same conclusion. I also read this good post on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/89part/gdpr_and_gaming_analytics/

The solution will probably be, that I show the player a short screen on startup of the demo, telling them that I would like to collect statistical data from his play and would like his/her consent to save them when he finishes the game. Then its up to the player if he/she would like to volunteer. and I will point out that this only will happen in the demo for optimization usage.

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic