Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:19:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Walaber's Pro Gymnast" gymnastics/acrobatics game (Physics-based)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: "Walaber's Pro Gymnast" gymnastics/acrobatics game (Physics-based)  (Read 6133 times)
walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »

Kinda long delay between updates, personal life combined with that I’ve been working on mostly not-too-visually-interesting things is to blame.

The biggest new thing in the game now is the “signal” system.  This is essentially a way to have some objects be “powered” by signals that can come from other objects.  For example, a moving object that only moves when you’re holding onto a specific bar, etc.  This is a very flexible system that will make lots of interesting levels possible (not to mention give me some ways to make tutorials a bit easier).

Here’s a quick example. the weird yellow and black things are “wires” depicting when an object sends a “signal” to another object.

I've also set up a website for the game, you can sign up to be notified there when the game is released.  I'm working on an "invite alpha" version soon, I'll post here when that's ready.

Indie developer, especially interested in physics of the human body, currently working on untitled gymnastics/acrobatics game.
walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 10:11:03 PM »

Slow progress as I work toward a version of the game that I can release for the first public alpha test.  Most of the time has been spent working on tutorials to teach the game controls and how the physics work, which is pretty time consuming, but ultimately worth it of course.

here’s a short clip from an early version of the tutorial, implementing a “pose matching” TV screen to teach the basic gymnast post controls.

…and here’s a random feat of acrobatics that I spent way too long trying to achieve just because it seemed cool:

Indie developer, especially interested in physics of the human body, currently working on untitled gymnastics/acrobatics game.
walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »

not sure if people will find this interesting, but I've created a short high-level design document for the game, including some information on the visual direction of the game. 
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1l3sXZiadj2SITPtgBbj7rHRE6-xUkZ2sCN2T8IteGcM/edit?usp=sharing

walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 06:41:33 PM »

An alpha test version of Pro Gymnast is now available for anyone interested in playing the game.  A game controller is required at the moment to play the game.

Alpha version link: https://walaber-ent.itch.io/pro-gymnast
Alpha version password: flipflip

walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 06:18:06 AM »

been a while since I posted.  lots of work happening on the game, including finally some work on the graphics!  the game will take place mostly in a beach-side setting similar to "muscle beach" in Southern California, where a "pro gymnastics" tour has been set up.

The game has a logo now too:

walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 08:01:57 PM »

long time no update!  I'm making tons of progress on the game, expecting a release this year on PC/Mac at the very least, hopefully some consoles too.

Here are some recent GIFs:

The "Pier" location

"Tokyo Bay" location

andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 01:27:35 PM »

Landing an insane move looks so damn satisfying!

walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »

well, I really didn't keep up with this devlog!

The game is now released for Windows and Mac on steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1214520/Pro_Gymnast/

I made two trailers for the game:
"Evolution of Athletics":

"Made By A Gymnast":

brickshot
Level 0

0xAF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 06:37:45 PM »

As an ex-gymnast I have to say you really nailed the movement and feel of being on the high bar. I have yet to play but it looks amazing. Nice work!!!
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 01:29:20 AM »

Tried the game and loved the execution, even though playing it with keyboard is probably not ideal. Chinese loc of the key pressing tutorials seem to be whack though - might want to check those.
10/10 will flop in the air again.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic