Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:12:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSpace efficient title screen
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space efficient title screen  (Read 949 times)
codoc
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2018, 07:02:17 AM »

Hi, i needed to add an options menu to my title screen but my title screen doesn't have much space so this is what i came up with.

Having the menu fade in and out as the main element on the screen over the title logo.
What do you think? is it good/bad? what would have you done?

.....ummm
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 07:08:32 AM »

In black and white it looks sort of awkward to fade in and out. When you cross-fade things, it's important that they are pretty different, or it creates a jaring effect. I would recommend you use a "slide in and out" type of thing, where the menu slides into the screen from the outside.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
codoc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:33:51 PM »

In black and white it looks sort of awkward to fade in and out. When you cross-fade things, it's important that they are pretty different, or it creates a jaring effect. I would recommend you use a "slide in and out" type of thing, where the menu slides into the screen from the outside.

That's interesting, im not particularly familiar with what you said. I tried to look up what you are talking about for more background info but i was unsuccessful.

Im now interested in what way the fade could work, when you say different do you mean in just colour? and is that black and white fade being awkward, a hard rule or can it work if the difference you speak of is in the design?
what if you just faded quicker?

......or
are those dumb questions and have i missed the point?

I have a few more questions but i don't want to scare you away :D

Anyway, ramble aside, thanks for your feedback, doing a slide is a good idea.

.....ummm
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »

There are no rules in these things, I'm just speaking from experience as en editor for 5+ years. In my experience, fading between similar images doesn't work well.

I think in this case however, the problem is that the title appears BEFORE the white box fades away, which causes a weird effect imho.

Ask any questions you got.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
codoc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 02:22:00 AM »

There are no rules in these things, I'm just speaking from experience as en editor for 5+ years. In my experience, fading between similar images doesn't work well.

I think in this case however, the problem is that the title appears BEFORE the white box fades away, which causes a weird effect imho.

Ask any questions you got.

Ahh i see. To be honest i agree with you. when you boil it down to that i have no further questions. i have a few ideas for improving it now and after that hopefully it will be a bit more natural

Thanks for your feedback, if your working on anything you want me to look at fire away!

.....ummm
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »

It looks cool, maybe it is a bit slow, I would make the transition faster.

Games:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic