Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:50:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMEMINI - a deck-building game where you can only look at one card at a time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MEMINI - a deck-building game where you can only look at one card at a time.  (Read 345 times)
boymakesnoise
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »

I made this game in 48 hours for the Game Maker's Toolkit Jam. The theme was "GENRE without MECHANIC". So, strip away an importan mechanic from a game genre, like take away jumping in a platform game, what new and interesting gameplay do you get?

I've been thinking a lot recently about making a turn-based (PvE) strategy game, that's as simple as possible, but still deep and emergent. That tought's inspired mostly by playing "Into the Breach" and reading and listening to Tom Francis sharing his thoughts on this subject.

I've made two or three prototypes along those lines, but they've all seemed to not work, because the core concept didn't seem to give rise to interesting enough situations or solutions, or maybe that's just because I didn't give it enough time - like part of me thinks that I need to build a prototype and play it A LOT to find out where I can improve and what to change or take away.

So I thought that this recent game jam would be a good opportunity to actually finish such a simple game and have other people, as well as myself, try it out and see if there's something to the concept or if it seems dead in the water. Try it out, tell me your thoughts, and by the way rate it on the GTMK Jam page too if you can:

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2018/rate/299658

Cheers! //BOYMAKESNOISE

twitter: boymakesnoise
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic