Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:02:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogswith 'Undertale's 3rd anniversary.. Matt Olick presents A Game of Three Hearts
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: with 'Undertale's 3rd anniversary.. Matt Olick presents A Game of Three Hearts  (Read 8388 times)
Retrotation
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2018, 02:11:57 PM »

Update #1 - Feedback, Attacks during Combat

Update #2 - Updated Trailer

Update #3 - Hypogriff

Update #4 - Design Revisions

Welcome to the Choose-Your-Adventure game, where Everybody's a Monster - but you don't have to be.

Game of Three Hearts is a swiping Narrative-Adventure RPG, where you play three separate storylines set within the same world.

The three different protagonists affect eachother, with over a dozen potential endings.

Experience a never-before-seen style of gameplay that explores deep story-telling within Tinder swiping mechanics. Inspired by Undertale & Reigns - and filled with dank memes.

Once upon a time... There was the Tree of Life.

Bearing fruit only once, the time is ripe.

Who stands to prosper by taking the Fruit of Life?

• The Ruler of Hearts, whose family has protected the Tree of Life for generations.
  • The Lord of the Wastes, whose struggle to survive has lead to desperation.
  • The Prince of the Forest, whose only hope is the Fruit of Life, to lift a deadly curse.

In a world where monsters rule, swipe your controller to choose between words or swords.

Gameplay consists of:

• Swiping in 3 potential directions to choose your actions.
  • Slaying opponents with swords, or sparing eachother using Wit and Charisma.
  • Minigames, including Bullet-Hell which determine the outcome of combat damage.
  • Three interwoven storylines with a Dozen different potential Endings.
  • Impactful choices that affect your other hero storylines.
  • Weather System.
  • Lush colors, Retro artwork, Engaging monster-characters and Soundtrack.
  • Single-Player, but loads of Memes to keep you company.
  • Available for Android, iPhone, PC, and Apple

The gameplay combines elements from Reigns, Broken Age, and Undertale.

Lush colors and quirky characters are inspired by South Park, Super Nintendo, and memeology. Accompanied by a gorgeous soundtrack, which blends dramatic jazzy piano inspired by Joe Hisashi from Studio Ghibli, alongside emotional cello orchestras as heard in Game of Thrones.

Matt Olick, known as Retrotation, is the sole creator, producer, and developer. He has worked under roles of programmer, artist, sound engineer, and designer for notable and award-winning indie games including:

• Clone Drone in the Danger Zone
  • Pirates Vikings and Knights
  • Starbound

'Game of Three Hearts' has been in development since March 2018, and is a work-in-progress.

Kickstarter coming soon, on October 15.

Subscribe to the Mailing List to playtest the beta, when available: http://www.gameofthreehearts.com/

Stay tuned and follow me on...

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/retrotation

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/GameOfThreeHearts
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 02:21:42 PM by Retrotation » Logged

Retrotation
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »

Hey fans of GOTH,

I've received feedback on the project in the last few days since the announcement, of which I appreciate very much. Some things mentioned about the trailer, was that people sometimes didn't understand how the game works or what players were to do in the game.

This is totally understandable, and was unfortunately expected! The trailer was pulled out of the oven half-baked due to financial and time-constraints (hence, why I am preparing for a crowdfunding campaign).

That being said, I am still filled with determination. After seeing the profound impact that the design Undertale offered to players -- I KNOW that the world needs more games that explore these concepts. It is my mission to bring that experience to you, at the highest quality I personally can.

For the last two days, I've formulated caption text and some extra scenes to clarify the gameplay and story shown in the trailer. The trailer should be updated soon, within the week.

Combat will be an interactive experience, as shown above in the new example GIF. I am very pleased that swiping in any direction during your attack, will cut the card dynamically. It's very fun to do!

However, slaying your enemies will come with alternative gameplay, including a genocide-route as featured in Undertale.

---

Stay tuned and be sure to follow me on Twitter and Facebook, and sign up for that Mailing List on the website to grab the beta when it's available this October!

Do you have a question, or would like to offer feedback? I'm here to listen, write a reply below!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:44:33 PM by Retrotation » Logged

Retrotation
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 12:12:56 PM »

hey Gamers!

As promised earlier, I've updated the trailer with fresh content and captions.

The trailer still leaves open questions regarding the finer details of gameplay:

• How do you lose?
  • Is there leveling?
  • What about items? ...

I feel that these questions are best answered within a trailer dedicated strictly to gameplay, which I intend to provide upon 1.0 release.

However, this trailer is for the Kickstarter, and will be followed by a video interview with me -- and the questions above answered with new gameplay footage inside the interview.

---

Hope you enjoyed today's update!

I will be revealing some juicy, fun characters in the week coming up as I develop them. Currently considering to create them while streaming on Youtube Live!

Do you have questions you'd like to see answered about the gameplay or story? Send me a reply below!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:44:24 PM by Retrotation » Logged

PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »

I like the idea of combining gameplay mechanics from the games you listed. I agree that more Undertale-like games need to exist. Personally I was confused when I saw the title font for your game and how much it reflected Game of Thrones. It made me think it was specifically a game based off of it. Maybe make the font a little bit different to show its not specifically derived from GOT?

Twitter: @PsycheMac
Retrotation
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »

I like the idea of combining gameplay mechanics from the games you listed. I agree that more Undertale-like games need to exist. Personally I was confused when I saw the title font for your game and how much it reflected Game of Thrones. It made me think it was specifically a game based off of it. Maybe make the font a little bit different to show its not specifically derived from GOT?

I'm really happy you enjoy the blend of references behind the game!

To answer your concern -- the game does draw inspiration from Game of Thrones: both in the story where three rulers play a game for control, and also the emotional cello that drive certain parts of the soundtrack (not yet revealed).

---

I am considering your suggestion to revise it. I tested over a dozen different titles and layouts. Removing any of the elements from the current logo, however, will negate the fundamental branding concepts that I want conveyed. Something to definitely chew on, especially before launching the Kickstarter where everything will be set in stone.

I'd like to offer a breakdown on my branding decision for the logo:

The logo is derived from a free, standard greek serif font. The underlines and overlines form a sheath around the sword-blade, which reinforces the main gameplay element of choosing whether or not to use your weapon throughout the gameplay. The cross through the "O" of "of" further compliments the sheath appearance, by representing a hardware screw.

In essence, I am using the bare minimum to functionally invoke what I want to convey. Other elements appearing with the above logo and it's variants, such as characters and the Tree of Life poster, further affirm that this is not a game based upon Game of Thrones. Among other reasons not mentioned, any association with Game of Thrones is purely coincidental.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:03:31 PM by Retrotation » Logged

Retrotation
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »

Good afternoon Gamers,

I've revised a number of content in my game after comments I've recently received.

The logo has been altered to further differentiate it from other brands. You can see below some other variations I tried over the last day:

Other characters I edited, were the Ogre and the Hypogriff. The Ogre, being an outcast living on the field, was well-described as a farmer in overalls -- while the hypogriff, being addicted to Garlic Bread like a drug, was best portrayed as a punk:

The trailer has been revised on multiple counts, including reflecting the above changes:

---

We've also started a Facebook Group for the game, and it's growing fast! We got over 2,000 members in the last 3 days with over 1,000 comments per day, and counting  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss

Do you want to see other things changed with the game?

Write a reply below!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 02:23:24 PM by Retrotation » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic