Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:11:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCROSSBOLTS: a heavy metal inspired shoot 'em up
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: CROSSBOLTS: a heavy metal inspired shoot 'em up  (Read 3126 times)
NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:39:46 PM »

Hello! So I've been working on this game for about a month now, and a couple people told me I should do a devlog on here, which I'll be honest, I didn't know was a thing. So here's some info on myself and my game.

About me: I work full-time as a cake decorator while pursuing waaaay to many art hobbies, I used to work as a tattoo artist but it was real rough on my hands and I had to give it up. Nowadays I mostly make knives, decorate cakes, and work on my comic.

About my game: Without giving too much away, it's a pretty simple idea. The solar system has been taken over by a notorious group of space-pirates, and you have to take it back. (note the title is a play on crossbones, clever I know Tongue) There's a lot more to the story but I'm actually pretty proud of the concept and don't want to give it all away just yet. each cluster of stages is going to take place on a different planet each with its own distinct theme and enemy types, culminating with an epic multi-stage boss fight.I love classic top-down shooters and have wanted to do my own for ages, but only recently found out I could do pixel art, and I freaking love doing it. And I want this thing to be (like Dave Mustaine said) a symphony of destruction. I'm talking, lasers, explosion, giant crazy battleships, you name it dude.

Concepts:

Weapon pods: as you can see, the weapons on either side of the ship aren't actually attached to it, and have kind of a magnetic-link to it instead. You see while the ship itself can be hit by enemy weapon fire the guns on either side are immune, allowing for a small nimble ship that can weave between projectiles and wield huge hulking weapons.

Weapon types and tiers: The current concept is that for each weapon type you pickup, there's several upgrade tiers you can level up through in the course of a stage, and that with each successive tier the weapon becomes grander and more powerful, not only affecting the projectiles, but also the appearance of the weapon pods. I'm also thinking that your weapon tier doubles as your life counter, so each death decreases your level by one until you have zero and die.

cooldown and passive abilities: each weapon is going to have a cooldown ability that varies in flavor and play-style along with the different weapon types. IE the machine gun has a secondary attack that launches a volley of missiles, but can only be used every 8 seconds or so when the cooldown concludes. And I'm toying with the idea of having a passive ability that comes into effect if you don't use your cooldown ability for X amount of time, IE it spawns a shield or gives you a mobility boost or something, giving people more play-style options.

RPG elements: Naturally there's going to be a hangar sequence between each stage so you can upgrade and buy new weapons n junk, but there's going to be a major cinematic element to the game too. There's a definite story unfolding as you go along, and the various pirate captains will communicate with you through video transmission sequences to divulge plot points or just trash-talk.

That's most of the pertinent info I've got, It's playable right now and looks pretty I just gotta add more content. Anyway, have some screenshots! Hope you dig it guys!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:05:49 PM by NoahW » Logged
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 10:46:06 PM »

Hey, this looks like fun! I have some issues discerning background and playground, as usual with this type of "retro" graphics, but I guess it all clears up in motion. Go on!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »

I want to be a pixel artist like you T_T
FRACTURES
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 01:59:11 AM »

Wow!...this looks fantastic. I've sent you a PM  Gentleman

Fractures     Showreel     Twitter
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 02:04:06 AM »

This is so !@#$ing metal. Can't wait to try it.

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »

Digging the art so far, nice work!

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 12:13:42 PM »

This looks great! I agree with Schrompf, maybe change the color pallet of the foreground a bit more compared to the background. I was going to suggest adding atmospheric perspective to the colors but I think youve already done that.

Twitter: @PsycheMac
NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »

Thanks dudes! Can't tell you how much I appreciate the positive feedback, motivates the hell out of me.

I've got a bit more content and info to share, including a spiffy little gameplay vid. And I totally forgot to share one of my favorite elements, the soundtrack! All the tunes are being composed by my good buddy Sean Willett, including the boss track featured in the video. I totally love his work and when/if I do a kickstarter there will HAVE to be a soundtrack release.

A couple people rightfully brought up the issue of visibility concerning foreground and background elements. Hopefully you can tell from the video that reading enemies against the backdrop is pretty decent in the demo stage, though I am still playing around with the tones in the space-vampire stage. I very much want to have green glowing elements while at the same time not losing their similarly colored projectiles in the background. I'm sure I'll figure something out though.  Tongue

Here's a few gifs for your viewing pleasure, including some explosions (which I plan to have many of) and some video transmissions from the pirate captains. Later dudes!  Coffee

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 10:05:10 PM »

looks great! Love the art

NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 01:50:15 PM »

Thanks man! Tongue
NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »

Hey dudes! Got a spiffy new vid uploaded showcasing some new stage design. The planet midnight, home of the space vampires, and the "coffin chaser", a brutal twin coffin-thruster boss ship. Hope you dig it dudes!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »

This is some solid pixel art!

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »

beautiful art, watching this one
NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »

This is some solid pixel art!

beautiful art, watching this one

Thanks a ton guys! Yeah I'm having loads of fun working on this... Which is pretty much why I'm doing it. Not even sure what I'm going to do for publishing yet. Figure I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Tongue
Caravaggio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 04:46:59 PM »

Great art.  I think the backgrounds will be ok if there aren't moving elements like ground troops or rivers, etc.

Where are you getting your music?  Making it or otherwise?  I like the tracks from the last two vids.
NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »

Great art.  I think the backgrounds will be ok if there aren't moving elements like ground troops or rivers, etc.

Where are you getting your music?  Making it or otherwise?  I like the tracks from the last two vids.

Thanks man, yeah there won't be a ton of background animation, I do plan on adding more but just enough to make it look more lively and varied.

I actually have a buddy of mine making the music for me. And yeah man I love what he's done so far. I've basically been giving him a theme for each pirate captain and their planet and letting him roll with it and have fun. If we end up doing a kickstarter I'd like to have a soundtrack release and give him the profits from it. Tongue
Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 12:07:41 AM »

Explosions really don't fit, but i'm sure you'll take care of it. Everything else is top notch.

NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 06:27:52 AM »

Explosions really don't fit, but i'm sure you'll take care of it. Everything else is top notch.

Really? The explosions were one of my favorite bits.  Cry Cry

Is it just the style or the shape or are they just not up to par? they do look weird in the first vid because I accidentally programmed them to terminate before the cycle finished so there's about three frames missing of the end, but it's fixed in the second vid.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »

She probably meant the enemy explosions. They have a circle at the bottom, as if it's the shockwave of a ground explosion, but they somehow fall down. Make them spherey, remove the ground circle, and leave them in place, I'd suggest.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 11:47:13 PM »

Really? The explosions were one of my favorite bits.  Cry Cry

Is it just the style or the shape or are they just not up to par? they do look weird in the first vid because I accidentally programmed them to terminate before the cycle finished so there's about three frames missing of the end, but it's fixed in the second vid.

Well, multiple things. First, mushroom shaped explosion looks like it's a ground explosion. It is looking good, but for things destroyed on ground. Next, when you hit those bat guys and they explode, explosion moves down. Tho i don't prefer explosions moving (imho, they look better when they don't move), i get that you're probably trying to emulate old school felling, but they are moving too fast compared to the speed of the enemy that is destroyed.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic