Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:35:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral have temporarily
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: have temporarily  (Read 1635 times)
gameidg
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2018, 02:28:46 AM »

have temporarily
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 07:56:20 AM by gameidg » Logged
Chalpie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »

Could it be that you have temporarily lost interest in gaming itself? Or are you still having fun while playing other people' games? I find it helpful to turn away from the niche itself and try something else for a while.

Forcing is always bad for creativity, it's good to have a cooldown and rewire yourself with new experiences until you start feeling the right moment to continue where you have left. I am on my cooldown right now, discover new books, music, maybe even turn off the media, just anything helps really. Smiley
Dre Reid
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »

Maybe you could fully document your ideas and then come back to them later when you have that spark.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:00:39 AM »

If you are in serious financial problems developing games is probably a bad idea because it gobbles up so much time. Time you could be using to earn money reliably or studying for a job with good pay. But if it's just a little after work hobby then carry on and just have some fun making concepts. Maybe join a game jam. Itch.io has a nice overview of game jams.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:29:12 AM »

Get out of your house and go for a walk. Spend some time looking around and get inspired by the sights and sounds.

Yeah.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:07:56 AM »

Lone wolfing it in creating games will have you face such times. You probably have ideas, just not ideas that translate well in classical gaming terms.
If you look at the example of the last game you made, a random Mario-like platformer, the idea seemed to have been playing around with classical formulas. Let's say we take super mario as a base, how can we build a game around it without it just being another mario clone? For example, let's say every mushroom makes you grow, but you cannot break bricks. At some point, mario is unable to proceed unless he gets hit by enemies and shrinks enough to pass through narrower corridors, which would be problematic if the player just killed all enemies, so he has to go back and find some. Or maybe avoid taking every mushroom he finds, though every mushroom taken is some more life (risk reward). Also, taking the fire flower makes you more powerful and able to attack everyone, but let's say the flame is also hurting mario if it bounces back on him(make the fireball last a little longer so it bounces around more). These are ways you can fiddle with a classic game idea/formula and make it more personnal.

Or you could take the other route, and look at the story of Mario. He rescued the princess and now is married to her. He is now no longer plumbing but king of the mushroom kingdom. He has to listen to citizens come with grievances and choose the appropriate response(accept,refuse, give item> example, a toad farmer is complaining about the goombas ruining his crops, you can send him off, be nice to him and lose the day spending time listening to his problems, give him a magic mushroom so he can grow and defend his crop more efficiently or give him the rare and expensive star and forget about this problem.). This would be a more kingdom management spin on the story with little to no reference to the classical gameplay.

Talking with people, having your ideas be challenged and brainstorming in a group is also a good way to force out some ideas you did not know you had. Don't give up and make something  Wink
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »

Take a break from game development.

I know it's not what most people want to hear, but sometimes you burn yourself out and you simply need a break.

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »

If it's just about not having good ideas, maybe enter some gamejams? Having a predefined theme that you can't change might help.
But as others said before: This might just be a subconscious sign that you don't want/should not develop games at the moment and focus on some other hobby/experience.

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:16:10 AM »

I work as a scriptwriter for several years, not only writing for video games, but also books and cinema. My experience tells me that inspiration is a really small part of the job (very important, obviously),and represents less than 10% of the work. The rest of 90% belongs to a hardwork based on a strategic view, a cared plan organization and one very clear schedule. Just be honest about where are your story now and where do you wanna be with. Find some inspiration by playing games, reading books and enjoying the cool parts of the life.

When I wanna start a new story (a new video game, for example), I do not stare in front of the wall waiting for the ideas to come up. I rather search for information about the main concept of the game and define some skill points and key features. Then, I decide the timeline of the game, who are gonna be the characters and whats the motivation of each everyone. I put all of them in the timeline and begin to write all the lore behind.

Hope you find the way to create your game.

Let's join the ARF Initiative Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 02:25:00 AM »

Ideas will emerge subconsciously when you are in a comfortable place wholly focused on a task world's apart from what you seek to engage with, mentally, such as a toilet. You need to find your spiritual toilet, op.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 02:50:09 AM »

It's pretty common to face times of no inspiration. What I do then is just come up with something (usually not very interesting, or way out of my capabilities), and keep working on the concept. Keeping a journal where I can bounce ideas with myself helps.
For me, this helps feed the subconscious mind more than just playing other's games. I want to be in a "creating" mindset, not merely observing.
Same thing when I write. It's really all about putting words on paper, creating momentum and then going with it.

Eventually a truly interesting idea comes up and either saves the forced project or scraps it completely. I'm fine with both.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 12:34:42 AM »

come from strange alternate world

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 04:25:44 AM »

not a lot of games about autopsies i noticed