Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1359275 Posts in 63170 Topics- by 55020 Members - Latest Member: dvnctech

April 24, 2019, 04:43:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBrainmelter Deluxe - platforming with a twist (out now on Steam!)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Brainmelter Deluxe - platforming with a twist (out now on Steam!)  (Read 2278 times)
snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 12:16:54 PM »

Well, I'm back! I took a couple weeks off to prototype something for the Unity 2D challenge--and to start learning how to draw!--but now it's full steam ahead.

Here's what I've been up to lately:

• fixing an obscure issue with Unity/FMOD; a really strange issue that seemed to have to do with a corrupt Unity scene (creating a new scene and copying everything over fixed it--somewhat disconcerting)
  • implemented a main menu
  • more progress on the intro scene: animated clouds, dialog
  • added FMOD logo, Cosmocat splash
  • added a new "long" module type (a twisting, spiky section)
  • more prototyping for the transition levels: I have this idea of navigating one or more coloured orb "key" into position to unlock a door (still very much a WIP)
  • integrated some new sprites from Thomas (new spikes, low-def steam/smoke particles, new boss sprite, etc.)

Here's a video showing most of the above:

With respect to a release date, I should have a solid release candidate by the end of the year but I'm not going to rush it. There's enough stress leading up to Christmas etc., so I've put "2019" on the Steam store page. I'd be happy with a January or February release.

snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »

I'm spending some more time working on peripheral things, like credits and such. In the past I've tended to put this stuff off until the very end, often leading to self-induced frustration/annoyance Droop

Here's how the credits screen is shaping up... simply stated, and playing off the whole rotation theme:

(unfortunately, the GIF doesn't do it justice, it's much smoother IRL--I'll include a video of this the next update)

snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »

Well, I had a nice long break from the day job over the holidays (11 days). I wasn't able to get quite as much focus on the game as I had hoped, but still some really decent progress:

• added pause menu, and with a proper "confirm exit" mechanic (I've been pretty lazy about this in past games...)
  • auto-transition to credits upon beating boss
  • finished prototyping transition levels--still needs some polish but the foundation is there
  • knocked a few items off the backlog of bugs
  • uploaded a test build to Steam

The game is now fully playable from start to finish with no "dead ends" and almost no "placeholder" content! There's still lots left to do, but getting close to a being able to run a play-test/closed beta, and then start polishing/iterating where needed in preparation for release. On that note, registration for the closed beta is now open!

snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 07:04:23 AM »

It's the little things that matter Smiley

snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2019, 04:47:01 AM »

Phew, well it's done! I pressed the button to make it live yesterday. Toast Left

In the end, I stopped posting updates here in favour of using my Discord as a quasi-devlog, since it was generally getting more interaction/engagement. I'll probably do the same for my next game, but hey, if you're reading this and interested in what I'm doing, drop a quick line Smiley

Onwards and upwards!
Adam/Cosmocat

snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »

Well, the game is released, but that's not going to stop me from continuing to work on it. I like to think the release is just the begininng, not the end! Smiley

So in the interest of making the game more visually appealing, and hopefully more marketable, I spent some time overhauling the visuals. Specifically:

• all levels now have proper floor tile details
  • the main and transition levels have some extra background details
  • background fan blades are now animated (not pictured)
  • spinning objects now have a little "anchor" point (rather than just fading to nothing)

Here's how that's shaping up:

It's currently in the preview branch on Steam, pending a bit more testing (and refreshing of marketing assets) before promoting it to the main branch.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:53:46 AM by snugsound » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic