Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:14:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsWholesomeMuff Steps Out
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Muff Steps Out  (Read 3927 times)
Dune
Level 0

Hey!

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »

Postmortem Edit: Hi, everyone! I just wanted to say thank-you to everyone who responded to cheer me on, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I got really busy working on my class projects (many late nights and early mornings in the computer lab...) and couldn't make much progress on Muff Steps Out after I lost my laptop. Two months, three computer repair shops, and one miserable winter break later, I was able to replace my laptop in January(!), what a mess. Sucks that I lost my first computer during my first game jam! But, life happens.

Even though I didn't get so far, it made me really happy to give game jamming a try, and get some of my ideas in motion. I will probably give it another go sometime in the future, but I'd like to focus on other projects right now (this was intended to be just a 1-month jam game, after all). For example, I did Global Game Jam this year at my college for the first time (we're in the process of making post-jam fixes right now), and I am working on another 2D Unity project that I started before Wholesome Jam (featuring the character in my avatar). Anyway, despite the unexpected road bumps (...perhaps sinkholes), I'm glad I participated in the Wholesome Competition, and some things I learned were: how to roughly animate a quadruped character, how to prototype quickly in 2D, and how to better handle laptop failure (my external HD backup helped a lot, but with my new laptop I'm going all-out with extended warranty and a good surge protector. Fingers tightly crossed!). It was pretty endearing checking out the other participants' work, too.

--

Edit: Photobucket is down and my links broke so I'm switching image hosts. Roll Eyes Links should work now.

--

Hi, everyone! I want to enter the Wholesome Competition to make a short-and-sweet game about a friendly, breezy, and imperturbable dog named Muff who decides to step outside for a bit and see what she runs into. I plan to use Unity and the genre will probably be a 2D side-scroller adventure: something simple that will help me refresh on building 2D games in Unity. My goal is to make a playable prototype with just a few maps and functions that I can build onto later after the game jam has ended. Wish me luck!

I haven't decided if I'll use pixel art or not, but here's a look at Muff. She's a character I've had for a few years now, and I've wanted to make an easy-going game about her for a while, so now's the perfect opportunity to make it happen! She's a cartoony pug-king charles cavalier spaniel mix, and a bit fat.

Sketch of Muff I did this morning - I used to draw her body a bit like a stuffed animal, so getting her to look right as an ACTUAL dog is going to take some work. But I do like how it turned out for the amount of time it took!

Getting a feel for Muff's expressions

Old Muff Designs - These are from a few years ago, when I was first figuring out her proportions. Also, her eyes were always closed! -w-
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:58:27 PM by Dune » Logged
Dune
Level 0

Hey!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »

PROGRESS: This week I managed to make a working scene in Unity in which you can move around as Muff, using quick-and-dirty placeholder assets. I spent some time drawing dogs and sketching their body proportions and movement from the side-view so I could make some concept art/bases for sprites:

Muff's rough walk cycle frames

Here's how she moves around in the test scene

And lastly, here's a look at the layout in my workstation:

I've mainly been following GamesPlusJames video tutorials on Youtube for this project. I've messed around in Unity a little bit before on another personal project, but this will be my first actual finished build/prototype. Next up is implementing dialogue! Once all the base elements are in place (movement, dialogue, maps/scenes, sequence of events, and possibly inventory) I will start making more polished assets in Paint Tool Sai/Photoshop. When I reach that point, I will further develop the dogs' designs (might make Muff less cartoony, OR maybe the other dogs will become more stylized).
Dune
Level 0

Hey!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »

Update: Not the best news! Last week I was affected by hurricane Michael for a couple days and then the next day my laptop fried... Thankfully I have recent backups so I didn't lose anything (including my work on Muff), but it means I'm without a computer right now. Good news is I DO have access to school computers with Unity, BUT I can no longer work on my game at home or use my preferred drawing software. So I'm not giving up! But this is definitely a setback... Oh well!
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:16 AM »

Sorry to hear about the setback.  Good on you for having backups and not giving up, hope you get back up to speed soon.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 01:09:12 AM »

That's bad, yo. I had a bit of a storm in my country as well, it messed things around a bit , but not problematic. Glad to know everything is fine, though.

Yeah.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 06:48:46 AM »

Good job on not being discouraged!!  The doggo must not stop!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »

Good on you for persevering through the (literal) storm!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic