Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:26:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Developer Tools (WIP)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Developer Tools (WIP)  (Read 282599 times)
BitShift
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2010, 06:27:23 AM »

YES!  I am hopeless in Visual Studio without this.  It has really spoiled me.

I'm a fan of Tiled for creating tile maps.  It's open source C++ (with Qt), runs on Windows and Mac OS, and is easily extended (via plug-ins) to export whatever format your game wants.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »

YES!  I am hopeless in Visual Studio without this.  It has really spoiled me.

I'm a fan of Tiled for creating tile maps.  It's open source C++ (with Qt), runs on Windows and Mac OS, and is easily extended (via plug-ins) to export whatever format your game wants.

You know thats a problem I find with these third party editors, is no support for placing placeholder objects.    I mean, how do you make maps with nothing but tiles in them?  Shrug

But Tiled is good, at least for pure tile editing awesome

edit:
My mistake, they let you place objects in the full versions
  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:08:51 PM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2010, 01:05:21 PM »

I'm a fan of Tiled for creating tile maps.  It's open source C++ (with Qt), runs on Windows and Mac OS, and is easily extended (via plug-ins) to export whatever format your game wants.

You know thats a problem I find with these third party editors, is no support for placing placeholder objects.    I mean, how do you make maps with nothing but tiles in them?  Shrug

Tiled allows to add object layer where you can create objects (displayed as rectangles). Each has following data:
Name:string,
Type:string,
X,Y,Width,Height:int
and a set of custom properties - (key:string, value:string) pairs.

Objects can be snapped to grid by holding down Ctrl.

You can also add a separate tilemap layer and a special tileset which contains "object spawn" tiles which are later used to create objects in game.

But, yeah, it's main forte is it's tile editing capabilities and is probably not suitable for games having complex entities.

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »

Has anyone tried dame? It looks really good, too bad I'm not using flixel.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2010, 02:49:37 PM »

Tiled allows to add object layer where you can create objects (displayed as rectangles). Each has following data:
Name:string,
Type:string,
X,Y,Width,Height:int
and a set of custom properties - (key:string, value:string) pairs.

Objects can be snapped to grid by holding down Ctrl.

You can also add a separate tilemap layer and a special tileset which contains "object spawn" tiles which are later used to create objects in game.

But, yeah, it's main forte is it's tile editing capabilities and is probably not suitable for games having complex entities.

For the life of me I couldn't even figure out how to place objects in that.
I should give it a second look.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »

The latest version of Unity has been released. (up to version 3.0 now) It's got some pretty nifty new features. Unfortunately, not all of them are available to the indie Unity developers. Most notably, the upgraded lighting system is only for the pro liscence holders. However, some of the revisions will be useful to the budget Unity developers. I believe they get to take advantage of Unity's fresh integration of Monodevelop. Monodevelop is a pretty capable IDE for programming .NET applications. I use it all the time for doing C# work. Having a decent IDE for coding and debugging in Unity would be a big help.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2010, 10:33:33 AM »

Incredible, the tools are coming out of the woodwork recently. First Unity gets updated, then the latest version of UDK is released. Now I've run across another game development software package that I was not previously aware of. Has anyone here used Novashell yet?

Novashell

It looks like a game development system along the same lines as GameMaker, but perhaps a bit more flexible. One very nice feature is that it is cross-platform, and can be used on Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux. It also has path-finding built in as a feature. Might be a good tool for making some adventure games.
Eraser
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »

Incredible, the tools are coming out of the woodwork recently. First Unity gets updated, then the latest version of UDK is released. Now I've run across another game development software package that I was not previously aware of. Has anyone here used Novashell yet?

Novashell

It looks like a game development system along the same lines as GameMaker, but perhaps a bit more flexible. One very nice feature is that it is cross-platform, and can be used on Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux. It also has path-finding built in as a feature. Might be a good tool for making some adventure games.
GM has built in pathfinding as well... but man that thing's poly collision stuff looks great
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »

3 fresh 3D engines:

-neo axis

-GameCore 3D

-Game Start 3D

The first two have some sort of gratuity/indie license (as it's soooo trendy  Embarrassed )

The third one is still vague on the license, but there is a public beta.

Suck on this TigSource.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »

gamecore has been used internally at some studios for a good while now. Not sure exactly how long it's been around for indies. I met the developer of it, dude is really smart  Shocked

JJames19119
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2010, 05:41:15 PM »

I dunno if it's been mentioned but I'm a personal fan of Notepad2 myself, as it's just so much more light weight and simple compared to Notepad++ while still capable of all the same basic things that make a developer's life much easier.

You don't know me. No, really, you don't.
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »

DAME editor looks really good:
http://dambots.com/dame-editor/

Made with Adobe AIR.
Saves projects to .XML.
Custom LUA level export(has LUA script to export levels to flixel code).
Multiple layers, tilemap editing, sprite editing, object editing (clone,scale,rotate,snap to grid), copy, paste and UNDO.
You can also draw shapes and paths.

Can add custom properties to objects, layers and almost everything.

The main strength here seems that you can use it with flixel pretty much straight away.

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2010, 11:53:24 PM »

3 fresh 3D engines:

-neo axis

-GameCore 3D

-Game Start 3D

The first two have some sort of gratuity/indie license (as it's soooo trendy  Embarrassed )

The third one is still vague on the license, but there is a public beta.

Suck on this TigSource.

+1 for Game Start 3D. It's an amazing piece of software made very expertly. I had the privilege of using it on 3 commercial games (two of which were released) thanks to private deal with the author, it's really powerful and fast. Kicks butt to lots of similar engines in terms of performance and visual quality, download the beta if you can.

theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2010, 12:34:52 PM »

thanks I will be trying out audacity, anvil and notepad++

-The (overly) ambitious open source cross-platform game engine.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »

Found Radi, basically Adobe Creative Suite but for HTML5 and Javascript. In beta and looks pretty neat.
Kekskiller
« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »

A shame nobody mentioned Nano.
Wolfos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2011, 01:24:27 AM »

For graphics on Mac, I can recommend Pixelmator. It's not free but it's cheap and even comparable to Photoshop. It's also blazing fast.
BitPuffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »

Does anyone know about a good website for making a sort of to do list where you list the features that you want to implement to whatever programming you are doing?

A place where you can sort by priority and stuff.

This would be a pretty good developer tool to have when programming since it helps structure the project.

I know that there are to do lists online like Ta-da list but i want something that is developer specific..

Anyway i thought it was unnessesary to create a new thread for it because it's practicly the same topic Smiley  Who, Me?

You can\'t spell \"Programmer\" without \"Pro\"
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2011, 07:48:15 PM »

Does anyone know about a good website for making a sort of to do list where you list the features that you want to implement to whatever programming you are doing?

A place where you can sort by priority and stuff.

This would be a pretty good developer tool to have when programming since it helps structure the project.

I know that there are to do lists online like Ta-da list but i want something that is developer specific..

Anyway i thought it was unnessesary to create a new thread for it because it's practicly the same topic Smiley  Who, Me?

Pivotal Tracker comes to mind -> http://www.pivotaltracker.com/
Unfortunately, it isn't free anymore.
Another interesting one is Cohuman -> http://cohuman.com/home
But it's more like collaboration online, so I'm not really sure if its' what you want.

I'm currently using Brabio, but that's in Japanese.  If there's a free English one, I'd love to know as well!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »

Beau Blyth released a pixel tilemap editor. I am loving it, after a day it's already my new main editor.

http://teknopants.com/pixothello/

Only thing is it doesn't have rotations. I'm doing a Flixel game (tiles need to be pre-rotated) so it means right now I have to finish it up in GIMP. Otherwise it's awesome, really makes creating tilemaps a lot easier.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic