Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:16:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Developer Tools (WIP)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Developer Tools (WIP)  (Read 282328 times)
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »

OMG someone else who uses this!

i get errors and lose work sometimes but its my favorite pixel program!!
Kekskiller
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »

A little program that will keep you awake on late night development:
http://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm

:D
increpare
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 01:12:23 AM »

I sometimes use a robotic feedback filter (the i-robot (I think it's called) example from Chuck) at night which gives the key sounds a really scary reverb effects when I type.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 03:41:22 AM »

Oh, man. This just made me think of a little TSR utility I wrote in assembler for DOS back in the day which did exactly this via the built-in speaker. I was armed with nothing else but the DEBUG program which came with DOS at the time, a book about the IBM PC by Peter Norton and Ralph Brown's interrupt list, which I had snatched off the cover disk of some cheap shareware mag. It's pretty amazing to think I figured all that stuff out without the help of something like the Internet. I still remember the sense of accomplishment I got when it finally worked. (insert dreamy-eyed emoticon here) Those were the days... right? Wink
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »

I can't believe no one has suggested FruityLoops yet, at least I haven't seen it.

By the way, what's with the Cave Story guy?  Cave Story

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2008, 12:00:18 AM »

OK, so I can't believe no one here seems to know about SketchUp http://sketchup.google.com/

Basically, the best/fastest 3d modeler out there (free/full versions; the only significant thing missing in free is what types of model files the model can be exported too, but there is a work around for this).  It's a phenomenal way to "sketch in 3d," and you really do have to try it out to see what I mean.

It has real-time rendering, and there's a lot of different fully customizable "styles" to render the model in; some make the model look as though it's hand drawn, or painted, or drawn with sharpies, or not "drawn" at all.

In terms of indie game uses, it would be incredible for level design, and you can export "fly through" videos of your model, so an initial cut scene (sorry, no actual animation) of a level could be possible.  I think it would really excel as a way to make pre-rendered graphics (I've done this and it does work), and any low-poly or cubic (boxy stuff) is really really fast, so it's good for that too.

The free version exports videos and images (lots of different file types) but can only export the actual 3d model to .skp (the SketchUp format) and .kmz which is meant for Google Earth, but apparently can be loaded in Blender and then exported to whatever format you need.  So, this work around makes the free version more than adequate.  I think the only reason why the free-version is so fully featured is because Google bought them out awhile ago and can definitely afford to give out software like this; plus, because it's used in the design industry, they likely make quite a bit of subscriptions from companies for commercial use (the free version is meant for non-commercial use only).

SketchUp's got a couple built in tutorials, and unlike most tutorials, they don't suck, so they're worth a try.  Hope you guys like it!  Gentleman
hryx
Level 0

bleached fife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »

I second mtPaint, Renoise, and Notepad++.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »

I'm looking for a tool that takes a mockup and breaks it into tiles and save the tiles.
I know there is on in the RGS, but any other options available?
If I had an easy to use tool to make this job it would make my life considerably easier.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »

This isn't specifically a developer tool, but it's incredibly useful for organizing notes etc. It's called bLADE Wiki and it's a Personal Wiki, basically, a Wiki that runs on your desktop. No messing around with hosting or setting up a server. You just need .NET 2.0, but most Windows people probably have that nowadays. There's even a version for Windows Mobile devices that syncs with the desktop version.

I've just installed this yesterday and I already have a couple of pages written up, it's great for jotting down game ideas or basically anything you want to take notes on. I just keep it always running in the system tray and bring it up whenever I need it. Oh, and it's free.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26:59 PM »

Do all of those image editors do alpha channel transparency? Wondering which one I should download if I just want to do simple (one layer, even) sprites with transparent backgrounds?

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2008, 09:39:21 PM »

Paint.net does alpha layers. Its what the new MS paint should have been. Otherwise Gimp does almost everything photoshop does, but it has a sharper learning curve.

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2008, 05:30:00 AM »

This isn't specifically a developer tool, but it's incredibly useful for organizing notes etc. It's called bLADE Wiki and it's a Personal Wiki, basically, a Wiki that runs on your desktop. No messing around with hosting or setting up a server. You just need .NET 2.0, but most Windows people probably have that nowadays. There's even a version for Windows Mobile devices that syncs with the desktop version.

I've just installed this yesterday and I already have a couple of pages written up, it's great for jotting down game ideas or basically anything you want to take notes on. I just keep it always running in the system tray and bring it up whenever I need it. Oh, and it's free.

There is also Tomboy which is pretty good for notes. The next release is suppose to really polish up the Windows side of things, but its a CLI (.NET) application also.

Paint.net is a great little application, but I still prefer Gimp. Smiley
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2008, 10:35:46 AM »

There is also Tomboy which is pretty good for notes. The next release is suppose to really polish up the Windows side of things, but its a CLI (.NET) application also.

I looked at that too, but was under the impression that it's purely a Linux application. In any case, it uses GTK, so it won't sit too well as a Windows program. Apart from that, it does seem very nice.
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »

i'm looking for a simple program to make a platformer/cute em up..

DO THE R.O.B!
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2008, 07:34:07 PM »

cute em up?

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

cute em up?

Yes. They typically will consist of a player struggling to hug as many enemies as possible; the hugs will transform those ugly villains into cute little animals. Cute 'em ups are my favorite game genre.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »

Found this site today,

http://gamedevelopertools.com/index.php

Seems decently comprehensive if maybe not super deep at the moment, plus they have reviews and ratings.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »

Found this site today,

http://gamedevelopertools.com/index.php

Seems decently comprehensive if maybe not super deep at the moment, plus they have reviews and ratings.

Wow, this site has stuff I googled months for and still didn't find.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2008, 02:11:48 AM »

http://icofx.ro/

Just discovered this free icon editor for Windows. I was hoping to use it to change the icon on my Windows EXEs.

Have anyone used this before?
Does anyone recommend any tools for changing the icon on an EXE file?

twitter: @docky
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2008, 02:33:48 AM »

Does anyone recommend any tools for changing the icon on an EXE file?

I usually just do it in visual studio via resources. It's a pain in the butt in the version of VS express I have though. I had to create the .rc file by hand.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic