Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:15:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Developer Tools (WIP)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Developer Tools (WIP)  (Read 269355 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2008, 02:37:17 AM »

Dock: There's a free tool called Resource Hacker that should do what you want! (I used to use it for changing the Icon on Blitzbasic games).

Also, I use IcoFX - it's pretty good Smiley

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2008, 02:48:27 AM »

Farbs, I'm compiling the EXE on a mac (!) via Unity, so that's not an option for me.

Dock: There's a free tool called Resource Hacker that should do what you want! (I used to use it for changing the Icon on Blitzbasic games).

Also, I use IcoFX - it's pretty good Smiley

Ah, would I need to use both, in that case?

IcoFX to create the icon, and reshack to apply it to the EXE?

twitter: @docky
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2008, 03:28:26 AM »

'fraid so Smiley

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »

Okay, no problem. I should practice doing that this week.

Cheers!

twitter: @docky
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »

I don't find Wings3D clumsy at all. It is limited (no animation), but very powerful for what it can do. It is much easier to work with than Blender and much easier to get up and running with, I find subdivision modelling to be very intuitive.

Also, for personal / indie projects, Bazaar or Mercurial are probably better than SVN. You can set up a remote repo wherever you have FTP / SSH access, or do revision control locally without any need for a server.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2008, 02:36:17 PM »

FlashDevelop:
A free, full featured actionscript editor.

This. It makes coding Actionscript about 20 times better, in no small part because it lets one avoid the nightmare that is Flash's built-in Actionscript editor.

Also:

Paint Shop Pro
License: ?
Platforms: Windows

PSP calls itself a photo editing program, but don't be fooled: it is actually a very full-featured, mature graphics program with both raster and vector editing capabilities. On top of which, it's quite user-friendly (moreso than Photoshop, IMO). PSP comes as a free trial, and can be purchased for $80.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:45:43 PM by CraigStern » Logged

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »

I use GIF Movie Gear to make my .ico files (along with my gifs of course).

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »

I use GIF Movie Gear to make my .ico files (along with my gifs of course).

That one rocks. Best damn GIF animator out there. It can also construct icons directly from PSD's.
mohammedderhalli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »

Why don't you add 3D GameStudio (100$). It is a simple development tool. www.3dgamestudio.com
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »

Hey, are you using it right now?  Because I was sort of curious about it, and rinku has mentioned it around here from time to time, but he hasn't done anything big with it.
partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »

Name: MuseScore
License: Open Source : D
Platforms: Windows and Linux; Mac OS X coming soon Wink

MuseScore is a musical score editing application that supports export to a wide range of formats, including MusicXML, and (probably most importantly for game development) MIDI. Smiley

[edit]
Name: Wikis in general
Platforms: All

I think Wikis in general should be added to the list.  They're great for documenting the design process and other parts of development.  I'm using one for my design document. Grin
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:26:23 PM by partymetroid » Logged
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »

Pixia
liscense: ?

Decent little pixel pushing program.  More intuitive than Graphics Gale for me.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
5parrowhawk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »

Just some updates:

(1) Caligari claims to be releasing trueSpace for free: http://www.caligari.com/products/trueSpace/ts75/Brochure/solutions_games.asp (look at the bottom). It requires an evil registration where you have to enter all kinds of personal information, though, so I haven't really felt like trying it yet. Anyone?

(2) It seems that you can still get Autodesk Gmax at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax . No idea if it runs on Vista, or how well it performs. Once again it seems registration is required.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2009, 05:08:47 PM »

I wouldn't recommend it 3DGameStudio.  I bought the commercial version before I knew anything about game design.   The model editor and atlas mapping is pretty bad.   The level editor isn't terrible.  I don't know about the Lite-C coding, though.  If you know C++ I don't even know why you would want a simplified version.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2009, 08:45:47 AM »

Probably Krita should be mentioned. It is the KDE image editor and it is progressing by leaps and bounds. Though still relatively young it takes it appearance from Photoshop, which makes it familiar to work with, and has a number of really cool and unique features like pluggable brush engines.

Also, has somebody mentioned Alchemy yet?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »

If you know C++ I don't even know why you would want a simplified version.

Because not everyone has time for it. I knew C but switched to the Ohrrpgce and then Game Maker because it was just so much simpler, so it's not like C++ is always the best choice.

But I agree that this thread seems to be about tools, not about engines, so it'd be a good idea to keep a list of engines (MMF, GM, Torque, etc.) separate from a list of development tools.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2009, 02:16:46 AM »

I just saw this and thought I'd throw it in here.

http://gamesalad.com
hexageek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »

http://www.horde3d.org/
a very clean and lightweight 3D engine.
no audio, physics, gui etc... but check it out anyway. it's the best open-source 3D engine I tried so far. also it has up-to-date C# bindings
AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »

I just heard of QuadRen.  It sounds like a solid 2D rendering API for multiple platforms.
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2009, 06:38:02 AM »

If you're using Eclipse, then you probably want to check out EclipseWiki. It is a plugin that adds a wiki to your project, which can be used for various project-related notes such as a TODO list (with detailed notes in subpages), design notes (story, level design notes, etc), list of known problems, useful links (such as references) and other stuff.

I've wrote my comments on this here :-)

Note: while you're at it, you might also want to check out Subclipse which provides Subversion integration with Eclipse and VisualSVN Server which is a very easy to use Windows Subversion server.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:43:28 AM by Bad Sector » Logged

~bs~
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic