Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:20:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLegacy of Veltzak (WIP)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Legacy of Veltzak (WIP)  (Read 7841 times)
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2007, 04:28:57 AM »

Hello everyone, I'm working on a game called Legacy of Veltzak (working title). It tells the story of Aina Veltzak, a guy whose lover was kidnapped, so he seeks her out, but on the way he gets turned to a vampire. Now he must find his girlfriend and exact revenge upon those who ruined his life. The game is based on platforming, exploration and fast paced action. There are many moves like double jumping, charging, running on water, wall jumping, ranged weapons, uppercuts, and many more. Health and damage upgrades, saving, maps, and the upgrades are all implemented right now. I'm currently working on level and enemy design, along with drawing enemies/animations. I am making all the music myself. Included are a few screenshots from the "Netherworld" area, where everything is trippy and weird, and Veltzak lingers between life and death.
Here are a few screenshots: (all wip, but they are not mockups, they're actual in-engine screenshots)

Trippy background of the netherworld

Veltzak jumping around

Spikes and enemies

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 04:40:04 AM »

If I may be so Rude, could I suggest a more coherent style?

Perhaps closer to the simple pixel stylings of Aina and Floating Meat Monster. Would look more wonderful.

Or maybe the choice of tiles are simply a little... Unattractive. Unless you're going for a coherent Real World art style and incoherency in the Netherworld. In which my opinions change, and I say verily awesome.

Glad to see your Game is advancing! Only a few weeks ago you were showing off your first sprite ever, were you not?
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 04:43:39 AM »

Yep, that's true :D It IS advancing. And yes, the Netherworld is a trippy place, the "real world" is much more coherent. I want Aina to look out-of-place here, since he does not belong in this world. Neither do most of the monsters. It's just that this place is so over-the-top that I wanted to show this place first. And do you like Aina? I worked hard on that little bugger :D

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 04:52:41 AM »

Ah, excellent. He DOES look out of place [though some variety in the tiling wouldn't go astray. Looks looped].

The staff looks good on him, by the by. Sturdy.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:56:38 AM »

I must repeat that I'm not a pixel artist so I can't really come up with many different tiles. Of course the looping annoys my eyes too. In a few days hopefully I can draw all animations so I can show off some nice combat videos :D

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 06:30:43 AM »

Just a tip concerning your working title: the word "Veltzak" is easily misread as "vetzak" which is a rude term for a fat person in Dutch (or at least in Flemish). So if you don't want to refer to that, you might want to rethink the name a bit.

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:20:20 AM »

I agree that the style looks incoherent. I think the biggest problem for me is the over-usage of saturated colors, and relatively little usage of unsaturated colors. This works sometimes, but here it just looks clash-y.

However, if it's your first or even your second or third game, don't worry about it, there's time to make your games pretty after you've learned how to make them fun.

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:13:06 AM »

However, if it's your first or even your second or third game, don't worry about it, there's time to make your games pretty after you've learned how to make them fun.

Let it be noted that I formally object to this seperation of aesthetics and experience!  Angry  Wink

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:18:29 AM »

I didn't mean to separate it. I meant something more like this: nobody expects someone's earliest games to look very professional. He mentioned earlier that he had only drawn his first sprite a week ago or something like that.

Back in the Ohrrpgce community, I knew a lot of people who would endlessly work on the tiles and graphics for their games and not actually make a game -- just making sprites and tiles for months until they were satisfied, and never getting to the point where they were put together in something interactive.

So my advice was equivalent to advising a writer not to spend too much time on word choice, and instead focus on getting the story written, because they'll never actually write their first story if they focus too much on the choice of words.

Or in other words, someone just learning to make games should focus on the whole first, and polish the parts later.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:21:16 AM by rinkuhero » Logged

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »

Or in other words, someone just learning to make games should focus on the whole first, and polish the parts later.

That certainly applies to us. We always focus on the whole, first, second, always. And we are indeed learning to make games. Always.  Smiley

I know what you mean and I know that you mean well. I just object to aesthetics being reduced to "polish" or "looking professional". I think beauty should not be underestimated as a vital part of any experience. Of course you need to get things done. But I'm not sure that compromising on the looks of your project is the best/only way to proceed. Everything needs to be good.

Of course a lot of this depends on the goals of your project and the audience you have in mind. I've seen kids play perfectly fine games in 4-bit colours and not care about how ugly that looked. I've also seen people struggle with inane puzzles just because they loved the environment they were set in. There's many different ways in which games can be enjoyed.

Seth
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 05:41:38 PM »

Of course a lot of this depends on the goals of your project and the audience you have in mind. I've seen kids play perfectly fine games in 4-bit colours and not care about how ugly that looked. I've also seen people struggle with inane puzzles just because they loved the environment they were set in. There's many different ways in which games can be enjoyed.

I agree with this lots.  For me it has always been more about the world than the gameplay (usually).  World immersion is certainly an aspect that video games can do uniquely and shouldn't be neglected.  However, I think rinku has a point in that it's not good to caught up on any one thing (graphics or otherwise) or else you won't get anything done.  Too often I've heard programmers say things like "I can't do any work on my game because I don't have any art"... which is rediculous.  Hell, use ripped art, stickmen, or even colored boxes until you can make the art or find an artist...   and if Nayon is still looking for a pixel artist, he's more likely to get one having a substantial game anyway. 

Not that I think you need one, though, Nayon. I find your sprite work charming  Smiley Looking forward to those animations

I don't buy the justification of incoherency for the netherworld, though.  I'd like to see the Real World area to compare.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic